rough situation

gotto

i bought a t mo iphone 8 plus from e bay to use with att. the seller says that there's money owed on it. what are my options how does t mo black list do they do it across all carriers for non payment or just stolen??? i am furious right now

All replies

• tidbits

Re: rough situation

gotto wrote:

i bought a t mo iphone 8 plus from e bay to use with att. the seller says that there's money owed on it. what are my options how does t mo black list do they do it across all carriers for non payment or just stolen??? i am furious right now

You will have to have the original owner pay it off to unlock it.  If it is not paid off you can't use it on AT&T.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • gramps28

Return the phone using paypal's return policy if you're within the time frame.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tmo_mike_c

That's totally upsetting and I'm sorry this happened to you. I agree with our fellow members here. Were you able to return it to the previous owner or get in touch with them about this? Please let us know.

• gotto

yep i complained and i returned it to the orginal owner and just went to the apple store and bought one. i know that one poster said that it won't work on AT&T it was being used with verizon just fine but i didn't know if t-mo shares there black listed phones with all carriers. i know they share the list with AT&T. i know that verizon don't share there list they only blacklist a phone if someone runs up a huge bill with em but yet they can take the phone to another carrier and use it. i wasn't taking no chances

• tidbits

gotto wrote:

yep i complained and i returned it to the orginal owner and just went to the apple store and bought one. i know that one poster said that it won't work on AT&T it was being used with verizon just fine but i didn't know if t-mo shares there black listed phones with all carriers. i know they share the list with AT&T. i know that verizon don't share there list they only blacklist a phone if someone runs up a huge bill with em but yet they can take the phone to another carrier and use it. i wasn't taking no chances

That will soon change.  Devices will not start to be locked by default on Verizon starting this year.

• gotto

true there verizon isn't locking there devices by default anymore. the only time they would lock a device is one ran up a huge bill!!! though i could have sworn that i read somewhere that there gonna start locking em again

• tidbits

gotto wrote:

true there verizon isn't locking there devices by default anymore. the only time they would lock a device is one ran up a huge bill!!! though i could have sworn that i read somewhere that there gonna start locking em again

I am terrible.  Verizon is STARTING to lock devices starting this year.  Making it harder for thieves to take them, but I feel this will go farther than this, and the FCC will back Verizon.  People keep saying on rule, but there is also a stipulation about security, and protection against the network which supersede the other rules if Verizon can show.  For example people starting plans and switching carriers without paying their dues is enough to change that rule, because it's lost revenue and it's starting to become a larger problem than before.

Verizon will start locking phones to its network to prevent armed robberies | Ars Technica