Dual Sim supported devices

magenta4281687

Hey guys,

I just arrived in the US with my LG G6 Dual Sim device. To my surprise after trying to use a t-mobile SIM card in it with many issues I was told that this odel is not supported by t-mobile. Is that true? The guys at the t-mobile store said something about voice over LTE or something like this not being supported which is why it takes a very long time for a call to start and while a call is running the device's internet connection is lost.

If so are there any other dual SIM variants that do work with t-mobile? Galaxy S8/S9 maybe?

I require the use of a MicroSD card and so a dual SIM device is my main option now days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Dual Sim supported devices

I am a bit confused. Are you looking for a phone that can use two separate networks at once? If that is a case your options will be quite limited. If you are just looking for a device with microSD support than the s9 would be a great choice and the best one for the T-mobile network. Also the current phone that you do have should work fine on the T-mobile network as far as coverage is concerned. You may just need to find a setting on the device to enable VoLTE or it may be a firmware issue.

• drnewcomb2

T-Mobile doesn't sell any dual-SIM phones. Why would they? They don't want to help anyone use any network but theirs. Having said that:

1. Dual SIM phones often support only 2G GSM on the 2nd SIM. Only the 1st SIM is 3G/4G capable. I'm not sure if this is true with the G6 but it's worth looking into.
          2. The G6 is listed as having Android 7.0. It should be compatible with VoLTE.
          3. It appears to have UMTS-1900 (band 2) and LTE bands 4 & 12 (but not 2). This may be part of your issue.

So, make sure that the T-Mobile SIM is in slot #1 and try the following experiment: Go into the phone's settings and turn off VoLTE and see if you can make a call. If it doesn't work, or falls back to 2G, you may be in an area with only band-4 UMTS (e.g. NY City). The phone and network may be having trouble sorting out their differences. T-Mobile relies heavily on VoLTE to make calls and send texts. Unfortunately, VoLTE is not yet as well standardized as either GSM or UMTS when it comes to voice and text.

How well does data work when not on a call? Sounds like the phone may be dropping down to 2G. When on 2G it's almost like there's no data connection.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • magenta4281687

Hey,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I need the 2nd SIM slot as a MicroSD slot and not actually for a 2nd SIM.

I had the T-Mobile SIM in the 1st slot and went to a T-Mobile store with it where after seeing what happens when I try to make a call the guy at the desk checked and said that the dual sim version of the LG G6 does not support VoLTE at all (I don't have this option anywhere in my Settings menu).

Since this is a SIM I have from work I need to make it work which probably means getting a new phone? Unless you can somehow help me to make mine work?

If I indeed have to get a new phone I was considering a Galaxy S8 64GB Dual Sim (for the MicroSD) but I want to make sure it will work with the T-Mobile SIM before I buy it.

• drnewcomb2

Unfortunately, the specs that I can find online are silent wrt VoLTE, so I really can't say one way or the other. If the phone either does not have VoLTE or it is disabled, the phone will have to fall back to 2G or 3G for voice and text. Since the phone lacks UMTS band 4, in some markets it may have to fall back to GSM-1900 for voice and texts.

Be that as it may, you need a phone that works. Depending on how long you plan to be in the US, you might be able to pick up a cheap T-Mobile prepaid phone and inset your SIM or buy a higher-end phone that will give you more features. T-Mobile's S8 is single SIM but still supports a SD card, and it's guaranteed to work with T-Mobile. Just a warning. If you are not the registered owner of the T-Mobile service account you won't be able to get the phone unlocked.

You should read this document carefully before buying a T-Mobile phone. Unlock your mobile wireless device

• dragon1562

I just want to chime back in and say that if you want a good phone for the T-mobile network I would recommend the S9 over the S8. The main reason being that the S9 has support for Band 71 which is being used to cover a lot of the states out west. Since I assume that you plan to travel this extra coverage may come in handy.

Also when shopping around you do not want a dual sim phone. You simply want a device that supports micro sd for expandable storage. I just wanted to clarify this so that you can search more easily for a product that meets your needs on the T-mobile website or when speaking to someone in stores. Hope this info was helpful and I hope you get to enjoy the network.

• magenta4281687

Thanks guys, you've been a big help!