Unlocking iPhone as a non-customer?

pinheadh

Hey there, hoping someone can help.

I don't know much about unlocking, my carrier is StraightTalk, so I usually have to have an unlocked phone. A friend of mine changed from T-Mobile to a different service and is willing to give the old phone to me if we can figure out how to unlock it. It is paid off, but neither of us know how to unlock if we're not associated with the service. My boyfriend has T-Mobile so I considered having him do it with his account. Would that work?

thanks for any advice!

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Unlocking iPhone as a non-customer?

In order to unlock a phone you must meet the requirements which I have linked here Unlock your mobile wireless device

Since your friend no longer has a account with T-mobile I do not believe you will be able to get the device unlocked. She would have needed to get it unlocked before cancelation of service. Now there are 3rd party options but they will cost money and may not be worth it as the device is quite old. Hope the info helps

• tidbits

dragon1562 wrote:

In order to unlock a phone you must meet the requirements which I have linked here Unlock your mobile wireless device

Since your friend no longer has a account with T-mobile I do not believe you will be able to get the device unlocked. She would have needed to get it unlocked before cancelation of service. Now there are 3rd party options but they will cost money and may not be worth it as the device is quite old. Hope the info helps

She can still get it unlocked if she met the requirements before she cancelled her account.

• gramps28

tidbits wrote:

dragon1562 wrote:

She can still get it unlocked if she met the requirements before she cancelled her account.

If it was a post paid account.