Android update

mozart2

1. Can an HTC One M8, originally an ATT phone be completely converted to a T-Mobile phone?

2. I'd like to update to Android 7.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Android update

1) No

2) You need HTC to release a software update to get you there

*Note: these answers are answers to avoid voiding any warranty you might have.  There may be ways to root a device to do one or both of these, but this community does not support that.

• mozart2

Thanks for replying. I read that T-Mobile released the Android 7 update for HTC One M8 last March. Do you mean that it would only work for updating a T-Mobile phone not an ATT phone?

• smplyunprdctble

No matter the carrier you are on, you will only get software updates for the device that it is branded to.

So, if you have an ATT model of a phone, you will only get the software updates ATT releases, no matter what SIM is in your phone.

If you have a T-Mobile model of a phone, you will only get the T-Mobile updates, no matter what SIM is in your phone.

If you have a carrier-free phone (e.g. Pixel2, in my case), you will get updates direct from Google, however, updates have the ability to be delayed per carrier, if necessary (this happened with the Nexus5X with T-Mobile, if memory serves.. or was it the Nexus5? One or the other).

If a device is branded to one carrier, there's generally something different in the hardware between the two devices.  Means the OS from one has a chance of not even being compatible with another.  And, carrier-specific OS releases are approved by the carrier.  There's enough effort to get these out without trying to release additional versions of a device's OS for another carrier.

Annoying, yes -- but, it's the world we live in where a carrier wants to have some control over the device they sell you in order to have a bit of consistency.

• tidbits

mozart2 wrote:

Thanks for replying. I read that T-Mobile released the Android 7 update for HTC One M8 last March. Do you mean that it would only work for updating a T-Mobile phone not an ATT phone?

Since the warranty is expired already.  If you want the T-Mobile version of the software you will need to unlock your bootload and S-Off the boot loader.  There's a few more steps and you can install any M8 Rom on it.  You can head over to XDA and see if you are willing to do it.  Keep in mind there is a chance you will brick your phone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful