One Plus International Roaming on Galaxy S8+

pbaker2003

How do I set my Galaxy S8+ up so that I am not charged international roaming fees, but still take advantage of the 256 Kbps available on the One Plus plan. I am currently in Qatar for a deployment and wanted to avoid putting a local sim card in my phone. Under network selection it says I can choose 2G only, but according to T-Mobile, 2G is maxed out at 128 Kbps. There is no "3G only" option on the phone, the next selection is "4G/3G/2G (autoselect)"... Any assistance would be helpful.

Paul

All replies

• drnewcomb2

If you don't want to be charged for incoming phone calls but want to still be able to use data, you can use unconditional forwarding to send all your incoming calls someplace else. Generally this would be to voicemail. You could also send them to a Google Voice or Skype-In number and possibly answer the calls on Hangouts or Skype over the data connection. Unconditional forward is activated in the menu system, probably under "Calls".

When I go abroad, I generally forward all calls to voicemail, leaving a greeting that asks people to send me a text or e-mail and only leave a message if they must. I then reply via text or e-mail or deal with calls when I'm on WiFi.

• pbaker2003

My concerns are about data usage, but thank you for the information!

• drnewcomb2

OK. I think I understand now. You're confused by T-Moble's use of "2G speed", believing it means "2G roaming". You're not the only one. This is a common misconception. They're not the same. It just means that your speed will be limited to something like what is theoretically available on 2G. This takes place at T-Mobile and is independent of  what technology is used on the roamed system. Feel free to use LTE, or whatever. Your speed will be limited at T-Mobile. There is no reason you should be charged. If for some reason you are, you can get it reversed.

Word of warning. If you are roaming for more than 6 months, T-Mobile may cut you off. The cut-off is manual but 6 months is a common break-point for long-term roamers.

• dragon1562

drnewcomb2 seems to have answered all of your concerns. I just wanted to add that if you have issues while roaming on a specific carrier you can try selecting a different one manually. It doesn't matter who you roam on and you should not occur any charges unless you place a phone call.

1 of 1 people found this helpful