Calls going straight to Voice Mail

vjoshi2822

All the calls on my phone goes to Voice Mail . It happens when I am at home

All replies

• malouk

Re: Calls going straight to Voice Mail

I am having the same issue. I'm using an unlocked At&t LG V10. I've been on the phone with tech support/customer care since yesterday yet nothing. It's happening to me everywhere and anywhere.

• dragon1562

When you are at home are you connected to the network or to wifi? What is the service like at home?

• tmo_chris

Hey vjoshi2822 

Are you still having this issue?

malouk - Typically the APN settings are going to impact data services. For the issue with calls going straight to Voicemail, our tech support team should have opened up a trouble ticket for you. Do you know if they did that? Also, do you know anyone with a T-Mobile phone you can try your SIM card in to see if the issue persists?

• eddiehaskell

I've had similar issues and it turned out to be unlocked phones just didn't work as well for me. The worst for me were unlocked Verizon phones. I checked changed and updated the apn etc and the phones were hit or miss. Once I got a TMobile branded phone everything was fine.

I liked my unlocked phones but everything is much better now with a TMobile phone.

• envirotex

Both my wife & I have problems with calls going periodically to voicemail when the phone doesn't even ring.  This happens sometimes when I'm speaking on the phone (no indication that another call is coming in) and sometimes when the phone is just sitting beside me in standby mode.  We both have T-Mobile phones; hers is an iPhone 6, mine is a Samsung GS5.  It's been happening more since about March 2018.

• tmo_chris

That is a very long time to be having this issue! Does it seem to happen more often when you are in a specific area like when you are in your home or have you also noticed this when you are out and about? When this happens, how many bars of signal do you have on your phone?

• envirotex

Thank you for jumping in here, Chris.  It doesn't seem to be location-specific; it happens both at home and work and possibly other places.  I have 5 bars at home and 4 at work.  I can think of 2 other issues I'm having which I'll mention in case they might be related to this: 

1. Lately, my bluetooth headset will cut out for a few seconds in the middle of a phone conversation.  I hear something like, "Bluetooth signal lost", then, a few seconds later, "Connected".   This happens about once out of every 10 calls, sometimes 2 or even 3 times on one call.
                        2. When charging the phone, it will sometimes make a 2-tone notification indicating that the charging has stopped, as if I had unplugged it.  Within 5 seconds I hear the notification again and the charging starts again.

This msg pertains to my Samsung S5; I'm not sure of the details for the iPhone 6.

• tmo_chris

Interesting, the problems you are describing sound more like issues with the phone itself than with the network like the OP reported specifically the interrupted charging and Bluetooth connection loss. The calls going to voicemail could still be network related as it is happening on a couple phones but that becomes less of a focus if it's happening in multiple areas.

To really be certain, we need to see if this is something that happens more frequently when you are in a specific area or if there is an area that it has never happened. Knowing this would really help us narrow down the issue to equipment or network.

as for the charging and Bluetooth issues, we would want to try alternate device like another charger or headset to see if the issue persists to see if the issue is with the phone or the charger/headset.

• magenta5054697

hi,

I have a TMobile LG G2 and calls from area code 630 (Illinois) go to voice mail directly without my phone ever ring.  This happens when I am at home and have full bars. I do not see the number in the call log so the only way I would know I missed  a call is for the caller to leave me a voice message (not everyone does).  Appreciate any help.

• tmo_chris

That is super strange magenta5054697! We will want to take a closer look at what specifically is on the network side if it is only happening from specific numbers. Please contact us when you have a moment so our tech teams can dig into this deeper.

• snyderjt

I am also having the same issue for at least the last week.  I am in Lynnwood, WA, north of Seattle.  My phone seems to ring just fine for robocalls and solicitors, but calls from real people don't ring and they don't register as missed calls.  I've missed calls from both 509 (Eastern WA) and 503 (Portland and Salem, OR) in the last week.  Those are the ones I know about at least since they left voicemails and I will got the audible notification of the message about 10 minutes from the time stamp on the call.  Text messages and Messenger app messages seem to be fine. 

• tmo_chris

That is super strange snyderjt! Does it seem to happen 100% of the time with the same number or will they sometime ring through? 

• snyderjt

It is frequent, but maybe 50-60% now.  My mother called me from her home number 3 times and her cell 1 times in the last 3 days.  2 of the home phone never rang and I only got the VM notice about 15 min later.  The other 2 calls rang through

Not sure if it is related, but I also have another problem that seems much discussed, but not resolved in quite some time.

I have a ZTE Zmax that used to be just dandy for WiFi calling but now it's a total failure at such.  I have constant Er081, er082, Reg99 errors and cannot connect to WiFi calling anywhere at anytime.  My work office is a bit of a dead zone so some of those no call but VM later may be due to that and the WiFi calling failing.  Judging from the comments, and the political and economic woes surrounding ZTE, I suspect it's the phone itself not being well supported or updated.

Totally sucks since I am out of the country and supposed to have a phone interview On Thursday morning (Manila Time) and without WiFi calling I will have to pay, but without my phone ringing at all for so many calls....well, suck to be me with this particular phone at the moment.

• hungryhippos

I have been having this problem as well since February/March.

Only happens when I am under Wi-Fi (at work or at home but then again those two places are where I spend 99% of my time). Callers have told me the line rings TWICE then goes to voicemail. I get NO notification of a call. I also don’t get any texts during this “blackout” period. When the blackout does end, I get notifications of voicemails and text message then come in. This is the same issue with the other line on my t-mobile account. I have tried using three different phones, same issue with all of them.

I have been dealing with tech support for the past two days. They sent me a signal booster at home which I knew wouldn’t work (because prior to February/March I had no issues) but I guess T-Mobile wants to feel like they’re “contributing” so they sent me one anyway.

If this issue isn’t resolved soon, I will switch to another provider for sure.

• pj1983

Came to the support forums to research this very question, and darned if it isn't in the top 10 in the Network and Coverage section.  We're using unlocked LG G5s and have had a CellSpot V1 installed in our home since last September.  Everything worked fine up until about March as well when we starting seeing about 50% of our calls go straight to voicemail with nary a peep from the phone.

I called tech support Tuesday after my alarm company couldn't reach me to confirm an alarm system glitch, which resulted in them calling the local PD.  Tech support recommended switching to a TMUS branded phone as the solution.  Not sure I agree since the problem is fairly recent, and both the CellSpot and our phones support bands 2 and 4.

Like you, if I can't count on reliable service, I think I'm going to have to consider another provider.  That would be a shame since prior to this voicemail/no-ring problem we were very pleased with the service and the extra TMUS perks.

• hungryhippos

I have had this problem with: BlackBerry Passport, Motorola MotoX, and Huawei Honor6x.

I spend at least 90% of my time under Wi-Fi so it's tough to tell if it only happens under Wi-Fi. Keep in mind, I only find out about the problem if someone leaves me a voicemail and/or I receive back to back text messages.

However, what I have noticed is, when I leave a Wi-Fi area to a non Wi-FI area (i.e leaving work to go to lunch), the moment I step out- I get notifications of voicemails and/or texts coming in back to back (indicating delayed deliveries).

Also, for the last three nights, I have been missing texts and calls from 4am-4:30am. However, when I wake up around 4:45 and look at my phone, I shortly start to receive all the missed texts and voicemails. It is almost like I have to "wake up" the network I get in my phone and open a random app or open the browser.

• hungryhippos

The only troubleshooting that was done was for the signal booster. We had set up a time to do something during work hours but it was tough to complete because I have to be on another phone and it's tough for me to do that during work hours (understandably). However, keep in mind that NO ONE from customer service or tech service has followed up with me about it even though I had opened the ticket several months ago.

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying. Are you able to do a few test calls so we can really tell if this issue is specific to Wi-Fi? Like, can you place a few test calls to your phone while it is not on Wi-Fi and see if the phone rings then connect your phone to Wi-Fi while in the same location and see if the calls fail to ring through to your phone?

• hungryhippos

Sure, I can try this next. I already have a video of it NOT working even when my phone was on and fully functioning and with full signal. I will report back.

• hungryhippos

Confirmed that when on Wi-Fi, calls/texts do not get dropped.

• hungryhippos

Sorry, correction about above- when NOT on Wi-FI, calls/texts do not get dropped.

• hungryhippos

But I don't have Wi-Fi calling turned on...my phone isn't even capable of it. It's okay though because I will be switching my provider. Having this issue for three months is unacceptable. T-Mobile has completely let me down after years of patronage.

• tmo_chris

We would be very sad to lose you hungryhippos. I apologize but I guess I misunderstood you when you said that you do not have this issue when your device was not connected to Wi-Fi and assumed that the issue had to do with Wi-Fi calling. Do you know anyone that has a T-Mobile branded phone that you can try your SIM card in to see if the issue persists?

• pawn

I have been experiencing the same issue, but it is inconsistent. I have a Pixel 2 XL bought from Google.

It has happened to me several times and again just this morning. It may have happened more, but I wouldn't know since I don't get notified of missed calls.

This morning the person trying to call me walked into my office and asked me why my phone was going straight to email, which is how I found out there was an issue. He was calling from a cell phone. I tried to call from my office phone to see if it would go straight to voicemail, but it actually rang. So, I had him call me again with his cell phone while standing right next to me and my phone and, sure enough, it went straight to voicemail for him and I never received any indication that he called.

Not sure what is going on, but I would argue that this doesn't appear to be a phone issue because it is happening on lots of different phones. That makes me believe it is more of a T Mobile issue. And it is very frustrating.

• anecky

I have the same problem. I'm not receiving calls and I'm sick of T-Mobile saying it's a a phone problem. I have friends that have same issues. T-Mobile get to work and fix it or I'm going to leave you.

Thank you.

• tmo_chris

pawn & anecky

Is this only happening when you have your Wi-Fi enabled on your phones?

• pawn

In general, I have WiFi enabled on my phone, so that is likely the case. I don't generally turn off my WiFi regularly. I can say for sure I was connected to WiFi yesterday when it happened. But since it leaves no trace when it happens, it is hard to say if it happens only with WiFi enabled. I'll try to recreate it, but ultimately this is hit or miss since it doesn't happen all of the time. In the past when I've run into this issue, I just rebooted my phone and it seems to start working.

• tmo_chris

pawn anecky and pj1983

I know this is a super weird issue and a very frustrating one at that. For this specific issue, we really do need to have our engineers look at the logs to see what happened when the tower tried to ping your SIM/device. I know it is hard to get the specifics as it is intermittent and and you really have no idea till after it has happened.

What you will need to do is try to re create this issue with purposeful testing. If you notice the problem happening, have your friend or family member call you several times and make note of the exact times they called and what happened as well as their numbers. Once you have 2-3 of these examples, please contact us ASAP so that our over the phone tech support folks can gather the details and get it in front of our engineers for review. They will be able to see exactly what happened if they have exact logs and will be able to determine the next steps.

• pawn

Well, I do know the precise time of this last occurence that I was describing, so I can give you that. In this particular occurence, the person tried to call me multiple times and it went to voicemail, walked into my office and complained about it, which caused me to test it via the office phone where the call went through successfully, followed immediately by him trying to call me again from his phone where it went directly to voicemail. That's currently the only example I have. I'll try to create more.

• pawn

I just called in and talked with someone about my specific instance. He seemed to think it was related to scam blocking, so he had me disable that. I am doubtful, since I normally receive calls from this person and after rebooting my phone after this instance occured I was able to receive calls from this person. Regardless, I'll leave scam blocking disabled for now and see if I can ever catch it happening again, since this will eliminate another variable.

• pj1983

One data point:  I attempted three calls to my wife (non-cell number) at 1312-1313EDT (1712-1713Z) this afternoon.  The first two calls failed with a "No mobile network available" message, with the network indicator showing at least three bars.  She returned my call at 1321EDT (1721Z) this afternoon and it went straight to voicemail without ringing the phone.  The voicemail notification came in approximately 10 minutes later.  The failed calls all took place within my home served by a 4GLTE CellSpot V1. 

• tmo_chris

Please contact us with this information pj1983 so that our tech care folks can get the specifics without you having to post them publicly.

• pj1983

I just did the voicemail dance again this morning, and as directed I called the tech support line to provide details of the latest events.  After going over the history of the problem from day one, blowing away my phone's network configuration, and an hour of "testing" I'm no better off than before.

Is there a tier-2 engineer that can contact me directly to do some real troubleshooting instead of reading off a script?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                        • hungryhippos

I went through this for two months. It was useless. A whole lot of "o we are so sorry you are going through this" and "I would be really upset too if this happened to me" but no technical help whatsoever. All of our issues seem to have started around the same exact time period (March/April) so clearly it's not us. I am switching to Verizon prepaid after this month.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                            • tmo_chris

pj1983 & hungryhippos

The only way to truly get this issue resolved is with an engineering service request as the call details are going to need to be reviewed to see where the problem occurred. I sincerely apologize that your calls to us have not fully resolved the issue but we do truly want to resolve this for you. After the troubleshooting, were either of you instructed to call us back if the issue persisted?

• pj1983

We never got that far with my troubleshooting call.  The rep had me change some settings on my phone with no effect.  We got disconnected three times -- I was calling from my home landline -- and to his credit, the rep called back a couple of times.  He didn't call back after the third disconnect, but by that time I was too tired/frustrated to keep going.

In the past three days, I think I've had 20% of calls at my home (incoming or outgoing) successfully connect.  The rest have gone directly to voicemail, and the voicemail notifications have been delayed anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes.

What are the magic words I need to use when I call so I can speak directly to someone who can enter an "engineering service request" instead of a normal trouble ticket?  BTW, I still don't know what the original trouble ticket number(s) are.

• tmo_chris

Engineering service requests and trouble tickets are actually the same thing. There are no magic words you need to say as our workflow would lead the agent to a ticket in this scenario. Since it sounds like you already have tickets created for this issue, we can use those to escalate this concern. We cant see your account here on the community forum but if you contact us, our tech support folks can see the history of these tickets and escalate them for you.

• magenta5470022

Hello Chris, my wife just got a Oneplus 6 phone. Everything appears to work except that her calls to me (also a TM line) have always routed to my voicemail. When we switched the sim back to her old phone, it worked fine. She doesn't have any problems receiving my calls. I don't have any problems receiving other people calls, except her.

TM customer service told us to talk to Oneplus. Oneplus asked us to ask TM to do something with SMCS number for her. by the way, the phone is unlocked.

Any ideas?

• tmo_chris

Not gonna lie magenta5470022, that kinda blew my mind. I have never seen a call routing problem specific to a device. Typically the issue is with the receiving party having some sort of blocking either on the device or the network side to stop calls from a specific number. Since it works from another device, there is nothing wrong on the network side. I am not actually even sure where to start with her OnePlus 6 phone troubleshooting wise. Has she tried dialing your number manually instead of out of the contact list? Are there any other numbers she calls that do the same thing?

• magenta5470022

Hello Chris, thanks for your honest and reasonable response. Well, you didn’t lie but I (actually my wife) did. LOL.

Here’re our troubleshoot process and the results. We did more than what I will mention below but the below steps are critical and can be used to troubleshoot for people who have the similar problem.

Problem: Calls from my wife phone (to me) immediately went to my voicemail.

Given / Requirements: we used three fully functional (working) phones, under a normal situation.

Phone #1, mine, iPhone 6, TM SIM for the cell #1

Phone #2, my wife, brand new Oneplus 6, TM SIM for the cell #2

Phone #3, friend, iPhone X, TM SIM for the cell #3

Using various methods, several people have confirmed that her number (#2) was not in my iPhone blocking list. We also disabled the do-not-disturb feature on my iPhone prior to the tests.

Testing process:

1.  Making calls from cell #2 - using DIGITS on laptop and Phone #2 and Phone #3 - to cell #1 on Phone #1: calls immediately routed to the voicemail. At this point, we eliminated the possible issue with Oneplus.

1.  Making calls from cell #2 on Phone #2 to the cell #1 on Phone #3 (my SIM on friend’s phone): calls went through successfully.

Observation:

At this point we very much knew that my phone had been the culprit, root cause of the problem. By trial and error, we deleted my wife contact and soft rebooted the iPhone. Problem solved! I think it was a software glitch on my iPhone.

Thanks for your helps

• foxirox

I have been having very similar issues for the past few months when I try to reach my teenagers at home.  We were formerly contracted with Verizon.  Two of them have IPhone 5C's and one has an iPhone 5S.  It is inconsistent, but pretty similar to what is happening with others.  I believe it only happens when they are at home on WiFi, but it is not 100% of the time.  Until we switched to Tmobile, we did not have this problem.  I have looked at their settings and can find nothing to indicate what might be causing this.  They do not receive notifications of any missed calls either. A trouble ticket has not been submitted since I am at work during the day when I try to reach them, (and therefore unable to give specifics to a helpline), and it isn't a consistent problem.

• tmo_chris

foxirox and anecky 

We can definitely get to the bottom of these issues for you. We will need to gather some specific examples of these failures and open up a support ticket with our engineers. Please contact us when you have a moment so we can get the ball rolling on this. If calling our over the phone support folks is not an option, you can use the Facebook or Twitter links in my signature to message out T-Force team at your convenience. They will be able to pull up your account securely and collect the needed information. 

• anecky

It doesn't matter if wifi is on or off. My friends call me on the land line and tell me that my calls go straight to voice mail and than I restart my phone and it works again. I have to restart my phone at least 3 times a day. This started happening in April.

• anecky

I went to T-Mobile store and they did some changes on my phone. It worked for one day and now back to same problem. Calls going to voicemail. This is very enjoying. Today my husband said he has the same problem. Please do something about it. It is obvious that something is wrong there are so many people with same problem.

• boopadoop

This may come as a shock, and it may not be the complete answer.  I switched from AT&T, and it has been nerve wracking to say the least, what with no signal, to calls never received or logged but going straight to voicemail and voicemails left but never received, delays in receiving texts.  After several hours of painstaking investigation and trial and errors, I've come to two conclusions.  1. There is no correct answer to solving what everyone here has experienced.  2. ZTE has issues.  I turned it off.  And while this did not solve all the signal drops, delays, missed calls, it did increase my signal strength and did reduce all of the aforementioned.  Did this for my wife and it helped her. With ZTE as the first preference it constantly tries to find it even though, and this is the predominant issue, even though ZTE may be available in the area and is picked up due to the constant search by the phone, the ZTE signal may not be strong enough to do its duties.  So essentially you have a phone that found ZTE and is using it and disregards the other GSM signals out there that are probably stronger.  I'm not an expert, somebody will probably say "bullshirt" to my response, but I and my wife are working fine without ZTE.

• magenta5433943

For me (Pixel XL), it definitely was the tmo SCAM Block and the SCAM ID filter. My calls (both on regular line and on one digits line) started to go to voicemail immediately after enabling the blocks, and stopped doing so immediately after taking the blocks off again. It's a shame that what seems to be an exciting feature is not working (yet).

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! Super glad switching to GSM is helping but we want you all to be able to take advantage of our awesome LTE network. This is definitely a fixable issue but we will need to open up service tickets so our engineers can dig into the LTE in your areas. Please contact us when you have a moment. https://www.t-mobile.com/contact-us.html

• anecky

Chris fix it and let me know when you want me to switch to LTE.

Thanks,

Aneta

• tmo_chris

We will need to gather some specific information from you that we don't want to do on a public forum for your safety. If you are able to contact us, our tech support folks can gather this info from you and open up a support ticket.

• magenta3275451

This is a really long string of comments going back to February I believe. That's right around the time my "going straight to voicemail" problems started. I decided to post this at the most recent spot. T mobile mobile f'd something up and either they don't know what it is or they do, and it's not an easy fix. I came up with a two part solution. One: I shut off all settings for wifi and just use their data. I only turn it on when I need it. Two: (this one I plan to back out to see if it is related or not) I shut off 4g LTE. My problem was so bad that I would call one of our other phones that was sitting in the other room of our house and it would go straight to voicemail, now it doesn't. I was planning to drop T-Mobile but decided I could live with these issues because they are cheaper than other services and I don't have to switch phones. T-Mobile is promising one thing and we're paying for it but they are not delivering. Sounds like another slap on the hand coming soon...