Carriers

bridillon0528

If my phone is locked with AT&T, why does it say T-Mobile has blocked the IMEI number?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Carriers

What "it" says this?

• bridillon0528

It says my device is blocked and will not work on T-Mobile’s network.

• drnewcomb2

"It"? The phone? A website? A book?

• dragon1562

If your phone is locked with AT&T you need to work with them to get it unlocked and meet the requirements that they have listed on there site to do so. Then you can bring the device over and use it on the T-mobile network. T-mobile is not blocking your phone it is AT&T.

• bridillon0528

I can assure you it’s blocked by T-Mobile. They said so themselves when I contacted customer service. However, the previous account holder said it’s locked with AT&T. I have his info and will be reporting.

• bridillon0528

I don’t understand how T-Mobile could block the IMEI if it was locked with AT&T.

• dragon1562

T-mobile would not block the imei of a device unless it was reported stolen or something along those lines. I am not saying you are wrong I just never heard of such a thing happening. What was the device anyway?

• bridillon0528

The device is an iPhone 6s. I checked the IMEI on AT&T website and it says it isn’t matched with a device on their service.

• tidbits

bridillon0528 wrote:

The device is an iPhone 6s. I checked the IMEI on AT&T website and it says it isn’t matched with a device on their service.

That says the phone isn't an AT&T device, and if T-mobile says it is blocked then that means it an T-Mobile locked device.  Return it and get your money back.

• drnewcomb2

It's possible that T-Mobile and AT&T share blacklists. Is the phone blacklisted by AT&T? If so, they won't unlock it to be used on T-Mobile or any other carrier.

• bridillon0528

I’m assuming there’s a due balance with T-Mobile. But I can’t pay it. The previous account holder has to pay it.

• drnewcomb2

OK, so it's not an AT&T iPhone but a T-Mobile one and it's been blacklisted for any of several reasons. Moral of the story is that when you buy a used device you need to get a guarantee that it's in working condition and not blacklisted. Even if it works when you first get it, the phone can later end up blacklisted when the previous owner either fails to make a payment or reports it lost or stolen to get insurance replacement. Sell your phone for $500, claim it's lost, replace it for $150 and pocket $350. It's been done many times.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh man. I sure hope that isn't the case, but you may right about there being a balance. Have you already tried reaching out to the person that sold it to you to see if you could work something out? I know that's a stretch, but if there is truly a balance on that phone, that would be the only way to help sort this out.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. It sounds like we found the cause was the phone not being fully paid off by the previous owner. Are you working with them to get the device paid off?