4G LTE CellSpot v2 - Restrict Access?

talk2gene

Would a t-mobile technical expert please reply to this post?

Is there a way to restrict the t-mobile cellspot v2 so that it only allows specific phone numbers to use it?

Can a password be setup on the cellspot to prevent unwanted neighbors from connecting?

My current wifi home router has a password.  Will it prevent neighbors from using my cellspot?

It is my understanding that certain microcells from other carriers allow you to restrict access to a list of phone numbers you specify.

Does t-mobile cellspot v2 have an equivalent feature?

Thanks.

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: 4G LTE CellSpot v2 - Restrict Access?

There is no way to restrict access. If it comforts you though the range on the cell spot is about the same as your router, so in order for someone to connect they would have to be sitting in line of sight to make any sensible use of the service. They would also need to be a T-mobile customer themselves. The cell spot is basically a mini tower that produces a clean signal in your house and uses your home internet to connect to the network.

If you have a device that has WiFi calling I suggest just using that if a major concern is someone using your data from your ISP. I assume that you have some forum of data cap on your home internet. Hope the info helped and if you need further info don't be afraid to ask.

Also to be clear I am not a T-mobile employee but I do understand how it works. If you want to speak with a T-mobile employee your best bet would be to call in as this forum is mainly made up of your fellow peers and a few Community Managers.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • dragon1562

Hey I just wanted to ask if you still needed any other info or proposed suggestions to help resolve your issue. I assume the location has poor coverage, which is why you were looking into the cellspot. Just let me know if you still need help and I will do my best.

• jakeps

I've had a 4G lte cellspot for over a year and it worked well. Then new neighbors moved in and the cellspot started lighting up indicating traffic even when my phones were off. The neighbors house is approx. 50 feet. I could even tell when they were home by how the lights on the cellspot were flashing!

I called T-mobile support twice and spent an hour talking each time with no resolution. I was told that I could not restrict access to the cellspot like with AT&T and Verizon mini cell towers.

So I turned off the cellspot and used Wifi calling which had always been spotty at best. Yesterday I powered up the cellspot again and suddenly got 10 text messages from a month ago and voicemail messages from a week ago, and some annoyed people that I did not respond to their messages or voicemail!

Does Wifi calling not transmit text messages or visual voicemail?

At this point there seems to be only one solution and that is to switch to another carrier that allows mini tower restricted access. Not something I want to do because I have been very happy with T-mobile until now.

(By the way, there is no direct cell coverage where I live so I mini cell tower/cellspot is necessary).

• dragon1562

wi-fi calling does allow for texts to come through. Same with voicemails. However, depending on the router being used and other factors your experience can vary widely. If you have a metered connection I can understand the issue of your neighbors connecting to the cell spot but if you don't there is no real need to worry. That is my thoughts.

If you want to try and have a better wi-fi calling experience you could get the T-mobile router since it prioritized data towards that.

• jakeps

Thank you for your response. I don't have a metered connection, but all the 4G activity through the cellspot slows my internet speed. I just don't like being the mini cell tower for the neighborhood. I do have the T-mobile wifi router in addition to the 4G lte cellspot.

All T-mobile has to do to resolve the problem is provide a way to allow restricting access to the 4G lte cellspot and that would make a lot of people happy, and probably retain customers.

Just Google the issue and you'll find a lot of people who are unhappy with the lack of access restriction.

• talk2gene

My cell service was so bad in my house with both ATT and now TMobile that I had to do something.  I hooked up the tmobile cellspot.  Reception went from bad to great (3 to 4 bars all the time).  My closest neighbor is about 200 or 300 feet away.  So far, internet performance and data useage are ok.  If the neighbors are jumping on, I haven't felt it.....yet.

• talk2gene

Did you ever get dinged by your internet carrier or tmobile for excess data useage caused by your neighbors climbing on your are cellspot?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®|PRO