Zimbabwe

sirmuchi

When will T-Mobile's Simple Choice ever add Zimbabwe as one of 140+ countries for unlimited data & unlimited text. I went there last and I was amazed how the decent 4G network coverage were. By the way, I used my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 with a local SIM.

T-Mobile, please add Zimbabwe on one of the 140+ countries.

All replies

• miket

Re: Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe is still going thru some political turmoil now that their long time dictator is gone.   The last few years saw very few tourists.  Most visitors to Victoria Falls went via Zambia. 

My guess is the country will be more open within a year or two.   Zambia is included by TM in their intl. plan. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • sirmuchi

Actually it is opposition. Most of the visitors were on the Zimbabwean side to view Victoria Falls. This has been like that for years. You would be surprised that there are so many international travelers staying at the Victoria Falls hotels.

That's why I think it is time for T-Mobile considers to add Zimbabwe on the Simple Choice's international plans. I usually travel to Zimbabwe in every 1-3 years. It's not logically made sense for me to use a local Sim card on my unlocked smartphone in every time I travel to Zimbabwe. I certainly hope you take this issues to the right people.

If there's any questions concerning Zimbabwe, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your time.

Muchi...

• dragon1562

At the end of the day there is nothing T-mobile can do if local carriers don't play ball. I know others have mentioned this already but I wanted to add that the only thing you can do as a consumer is make it aware that their is a large intrest in cheap roaming. In the mean time I would just get your device unlocked before traveling or buy factory unlocked and use the local sims. Its actually what I do regularly as I enjoy having LTE speeds and not being throttled.

• miket

What we did when in Myanmar (fka Burma) over a year ago was buy a very cheap local data SIM and put the SIM in an extra phone we carry.  Set up a hotspot and connected our 2 phones to it.  

• drnewcomb2

Zimbabwe is listed on T-Mobile's roaming page as a "high cost" country, at $5.99/min. This only happens when the local carrier charges T-Mobile ruinously high roaming rates. T-Mobile has no way to force the local carrier to charge reasonable rates and it would not be in T-Mobile's interests to charge less that the service costs them.

Piranha Mobile charges only ~59¢ per minute in Zimbabwe but this is well above the 20¢/min "Simple Choice" rates. Compare this with Piranha's 13¢/min in Italy maybe we can see why asking T-Mobile to offer 20¢/min in Zimbabwe just won't fly.