samsung SM-G870A unable to use wifi-calling

kstaparo

Hi,

I was with AT&T and brought my phone, a samsung SM-G870A (aka. galaxy S5 active) over to t-mobile. I have not been able to use wifi calling. It appears that the phone is not even trying, it immediately goes into a screen saying "wi-fi calling activation not successful. Try again later."

I'm able to connect to wi-fi (at excellent speeds 540mpbs when at home). A also setup my e911 from my t-mobile online account.

Any ideas on how to further troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Gus

All replies

• dragon1562

Your phone lacks the ability to use Wifi calling on the T-mobile network. Wifi calling is a carrier specific feature that would require you to run the T-mobile firmware on the device. Sadly the GS5 Active was a carrier exclusive device to AT&T so no such firmware exists unless a 3rd party developer designed such a work around. Hope the info helped.

If you have weak service at your place of residence, there are other routes you could use to improve service. If you are a postpaid customer you can get a free signal booster in your house or a cellspot. You can place a order for one by speaking with the T-force team over the phone or on social media like Facebook/Twitter.

• drnewcomb2

Unfortunately, the S5 has not been updated to Android 7.

As I understand it, WiFi Calling is cooked into the OS at that version.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tidbits

Re: samsung SM-G870A unable to use wifi-calling

drnewcomb2 wrote:

Unfortunately, the S5 has not been updated to Android 7.

As I understand it, WiFi Calling is cooked into the OS at that version.

ot is there, but it still needs carrier specifics to make it work within the carrier partition.  Since it is an AT&T phone it will not have the T-Mobile specifics.

1 of 1 people found this helpful