Sony Xperia XZ2

fohacidal

Will this phone be coming to t-mobile next month when it comes out?

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Sony Xperia XZ2

More than likely not.  Sony outsources their sales in the USA to B&H.

I wouldn't mind if T-Mobile does for the sake of competition, but the support Sony has is trash.  I have had almost every Sony device from the original Z( includes ZL, ZR, Z Ultra) to the XZ.  They all had the same problems.

• fohacidal

Ironically enough its only been from Samsung phones iv had lots of issues with. I owned both the z2 and z3 and they are still by far the most enjoyable phones I've ever owned.

I just wish I had more options from the carrier to upgrade as opposed to having to drop 600 plus dollars on a phone at once.

• dragon1562

Often times the manufacture has some form of payment plan of there own. I can't speak for Sony but with both Samsung and Apple I know that they do this and even offer their own upgrade programs.

• tidbits

fohacidal wrote:

Ironically enough its only been from Samsung phones iv had lots of issues with. I owned both the z2 and z3 and they are still by far the most enjoyable phones I've ever owned.

I just wish I had more options from the carrier to upgrade as opposed to having to drop 600 plus dollars on a phone at once.

They've had the same long standing bugs since the z series up until I gave up with the XZ.  If you check out their customer boards to can see them from around the world.  I agree there should be more options but the vast majority buy into the marketing which makes it harder for smaller companies to compete.

I would try another Sony device, but as soon as I see the bugs they should have fixed for years still there I will walk.  For example their group messaging is broken

• fohacidal

Oh yeah I never experienced the group messaging issues as I use third party text apps on every android phone I get. I mean if I gave too buy the phone I will but if that's the case ill probably just go with the cheaper zx premium unless t mobile carries the xz2, even if the phone has to headphone jack

• mentobi

The group messaging thing for the XZ Premium is pretty strange. For example, I have the G8142 (International HK version) The built-in android messenger app for the HK version doesn't allow group messages. But if I flash the US version on this device, it does. The CE1 Version, (which most people have for the fingerprint Scanner) does not.

However the G8141, (which is the US Version.) The Android Messages app does not allow for group messages on US or CE1 firmware, but it works on the HK firmware. Granted that information was Pre-Oreo install. no idea if that has changed for the US devices. it seems to be limited to build and it's intended demographic location more than the device. this tells me it's likely more of trade thing. Kind of like how US Sony devices had the scanner disabled because of legal patents issues, and carrier pressure from U.S. carrier(s), Probably AT&T and Verizon.

• tidbits

mentobi wrote:

The group messaging thing for the XZ Premium is pretty strange. For example, I have the G8142 (International HK version) The built-in android messenger app for the HK version doesn't allow group messages. But if I flash the US version on this device, it does. The CE1 Version, (which most people have for the fingerprint Scanner) does not.

However the G8141, (which is the US Version.) The Android Messages app does not allow for group messages on US or CE1 firmware, but it works on the HK firmware. Granted that information was Pre-Oreo install. no idea if that has changed for the US devices. it seems to be limited to build and it's intended demographic location more than the device. this tells me it's likely more of trade thing. Kind of like how US Sony devices had the scanner disabled because of legal patents issues, and carrier pressure from U.S. carrier(s), Probably AT&T and Verizon.

The groups messaging thing is a little different from what I experience.  Group messages works outgoing, but never worked incoming.  Sometimes once in a great while it will work incoming which I found odd.  Always has happened since the the ZL, and ZR down to my last Sony device which was the XZ.  I wouldn't mind another, but I am waiting to see if T-mobile will pick it up and/or if they figured out how to do SMS right.

Also the who carrier pressure isn't the issue with the fingerprint.  It sound nice and easy, but Sony themselves made no claim, but always cited patents.  That tells me their current patent deal they had was only good in Asia and Europe, but not in the US, and carriers had nothing to do with it.

• dragon1562

No word that I have seen about T-mobile selling the phone. Sony has had poor performance in the USA for a while now so based on the history of that I would say no with about 95% confidence. That does not mean you can't get it unlocked and use it on the network however.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

I know our awesome community members already chimed in here but I'd just like to say that we don't have any word we're getting this phone. If that were to change, it'll be on our phone's sales page. For what it's worth, I did check out this phone. Looks pretty sweet! I'm actually looking to get a new phone and I'm gonna keep this one on my radar!

• fohacidal

I really do hope so. I originally switched to t-mobile because of xperia phones while I was in Europe, as well as unlimited data. Buts its so disheartening to see that years after the Z3 my only flagship options are the iphone and galaxy year after year after year. The only reason I have an s7 edge is because I broke my Z3 and I needed a phone immediately for work. Iv been working to save for an XZ premium but if I can just get a XZ2 through t-mobile Im all for it.

• mentobi

I would like to add to my support to having T-MOBILE carrying Sony phones again. I've gotten three of them in the past and I bought the premium out right. If they were to pick up this phone I would jump on

• fohacidal

Yeah there we go! I feel like if other carries have stuff like Google's phone on top of the usual iPhone and galaxy inventory t mobile should have another flagship to set itself apart