How can I get Android 5.0 on my Galaxy S4

vpmaggie@comcast.net

I need Android 5.0 to use the app to connect to my new Subaru. How can I get it on my S4

All replies

• shelbyfan

As your phone is four years old the only way to update now is by doing custom ROMs.

Your best bet is to buy a new phone with modern software and hardware. You can find really good new phones for under $300 from a lot of different manufacturers.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

I'm only seeing that this phone goes up to 4.4.4. If you're looking to change this software using other means, it could damage the phone and void any warranty you have on it. In this case, it might be a better option to get a new phone as suggested above.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dragon1562

Others have already mentioned this as well but the phone is no longer supported. Now since you are out of warranty on the device there is no real harm in trying to update it yourself. However, I would advise against it since I am sure there is info on the device that you would not want to lose. By buying a new device you will gain access to better coverage with T-mobile and performance across the board. That in my humble opinion is the best option. I can even suggest devices that fit your price range and needs.

• truthisgood

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 which is a T-mobile phone and I also have a Samsung Galaxy S4 again a Tmobile Phone which came with and runs on Android 5. It is a shame that Tmobile does not offer an android 5 update for Samsung Galaxy S4s forcing people to buy new devices when there is no need. Does Tmobile get a kickback? Uber does not work with S4 Android 4 and Chase Does not support S4 Android 4. What gives you guys? Apple Battery? 64 oz juice bottle turned 59 oz turned 52 oz turned 48 oz? Stand for what is fair and correct this immediately . Offer android 5 update for Samsung Galaxy S4. It will be to your benefit in the long run.

• dragon1562

Re: How can I get Android 5.0 on my Galaxy S4

T-mobile doesn't control update roll outs that is on Samsung. Also T-mobile has no reason to support a 5 year old phone that is not compatible on their network. They do however have a ton of incentive to encourage you to upgrade. Not because they make money on the sale of a new device to you but because it allows them to retire old parts of their network like 2G and re-purpose it/ use it more efficiently. Plus by having you upgrade you are more likely to have a better experience using their network and intern stay with them as a provided. Plus many people who do upgrade don't buy it outright so they make money in the long haul.

Most carriers operate like that. That is why back in the day carriers used to subsidize the cost of phones in order to lock customers in to a contract which would guarantee revenue for X amount of time. It would also eventually pay off the cost of the phone so it was a net profit.

• truthisgood

T-mobile doesn't control update roll outs that is on Samsung.

Considering that I have two T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S4's both purchased at full retail from T-mobile and considering that One is running on Android 4 and the other on Android 5 , purchased and paid for and still paying on Tmobile network,  I see no reason not to provide an Android 5 update for these devices , other than ill intentions on the part of Tmobile. Of course oit is an older device and of course paying 800 or 900 for a new phone will render better and faster service and will be to the benefit of Tmobile if are updated but to stone a functioning device in this manner shows nothing but ill intentions on part of tmobile and manufacturer. After all since when a 5 year old device in excellent condition was considered crap and rolled out. I guess that is the sign of times, right ? We can and we do?

Also T-mobile has no reason to support a 5 year old phone that is not compatible on their network.

I have two Galaxy S4s as prescribed on Tmobile net work still  . Not compatible? You guys sell it and then call it Not compatible ?

They do however have a ton of incentive to encourage you to upgrade. Not because they make money on the sale of a new device to you but because it allows them to retire old parts of their network like 2G and re-purpose it/ use it more efficiently.

Tons of incentive? buy a phone for$900 bucks , get one free , and but acquire another line? How about I just send you $1000 directly instead? A deal would be when Tmobile would say , will exchange any active ( for 2 years on tmobile network or 5 years on tmobile network ) samsung galaxy s4 , for an S9, not force retire a good functioning well taken care of paid for device because you want to save money by not supporting it?

Plus by having you upgrade you are more likely to have a better experience using their network and intern stay with them as a provided. Plus many people who do upgrade don't buy it outright so they make money in the long haul.

Upgrade is the most meaningless word used by Tmobile. I actually want you to upgrade the carpet or rug in your living room with a rare antique hand woven carpet, so why don't yo grab a couple of s9s and a bunch of money and stop by and I will upgrade your living room carpet for you.

Most carriers operate like that. That is why back in the day carriers used to subsidize the cost of phones in order to lock customers in to a contract which would guarantee revenue for X amount of time. It would also eventually pay off the cost of the phone so it was a net profit.

Don'y tell me who did what. Service was outmost and first in the old times, now screwing the customer that doesnt have money in order to create money for your company so that they can make even more money on the back of the poor soul that just wants functionality.

It takes almost no effort on part of tmobile to offer such update again considering that they have made and sold s4s with Android 5 ,( well of course a Dollar Store in Kansas Will Have an yearly electric bill of $75000 or more but thats cost of running a business ).

Shame on you for the hogwash you iterate. Do you get paid for this?

• dragon1562

No I am just a customer that understands that tech of all things ages faster than other everyday items. A phone is really nothing more than a tool to accomplish other things in life. Although it does technically work it is not fully compatible with any modern network. For T-mobile specifically it lacks access to over half the coverage that has been added over the years. For example, it does not support band 12, band 66, and band 71. It does not support LTE advanced technologies ether.

If you don't have money to afford to buy a $750 phone I get it. I am in college so trust me I'm not swimming in funds. However. their are a ton of options when it comes to new phones that you can upgrade to for fairly cheap and carriers usually offer devices for free if you have good credit or in the case of T-mobile if you have had active service without missing a payment for a year.

Despite what you believe their is a significant cost to supporting legacy devices. Like I said when you have a subscriber base that refuses to upgrade than you can't make further improvements to the network. Intern you can't continue to have growth or at the very least support the growth. It's a catch 22 for T-mobile where they have to balance the needs and wants of all its clients and generally most people today accept the fact that upgrading your cell phone once every 2-3 years is fine. Samsung themselves only recently started guaranteeing updates for 1 year and security patches for 3. That came from pressure from Google.

Even android Lolipop is pretty outdated. We are about to reaching version 9 of android or Android Pie as many refer to it as.

Finally let me clarfy in saying that in the "old times" service was not first. ALL companies at the end of the day operate to make money its not a charity. T-mobile until about 2013 was at the verge of disappearing had the FCC not stepped in to block the merger with AT&T and had they not acquired resources in the terms of spectrum in funds to revitalize the company. Thank god it happened because it spurred competition and improved things for everyone. Just look with Unlimtied data plans coming back as well as other goodies. There is also a lot more transparency and freedom for people to swap between carriers.

I am not trying to say want you want is unfair. I am just saying it is unreasonable to expect any company to worry about a device that is so old. Technically speaking you could flash updates yourself to even more recent versions of Android but ofcourse that would void warranty. Although it might be worth considering since I don't think it will still have one. Maybe you have a family member or a local shop that can do it for you.

Also I am not sure what you ment by "iterate" but based of the context of you calling me a "hogwash" I will assume it was a insult. I'll be clear again in saying that no I don't get any monetary gains from posting on here. I just have some free time before school starts again and figured it would be nice to explain to people why certain things are the way they are.

If you don't like how its done than I would suggest in the future supporting a different phone manufacturer that is compatible with T-mobile or the network that works best for you. Some companies do exist like One Plus or back in the day Moto was big on timely updates. However like I said there is one thing that won't change and its the need to upgrade.

• dc5fan

How about a $278 phone? Thanks to 2 members in this Community I own an LG Stylo 3Plus. I only use it for calls and play my mp3s. In my area Bands 2 & 4 are used. I can use my WiFi to make calls. I have an AT&T unlocked S5 that I hang on to as it does have a pretty good camera. There is no way I can afford one of those $900 phones that will drop like a rock in water after 2 years. Do a search on the Stylo 3 Plus. However I am NOT a big fan of LG's customer service. I have had no problems with my phone since it was bought 30 DEC 2017.

• dragon1562

Great suggestion although I would recommend that this individual buys a phone that is new. LG Stylo™ 4 | Cell Phones at T-Mobile  this is a example phone that would do well. It has complete support for the network. It also has the most recent version of Andorid and good reviews. There are some better value phones out their but this one comes straight through T-mobile which is a huge plus. The weakest thing about the device is its processor and ram amount when it comes to Andorid however it all depends on what you need a phone for. If your trying to play Fortnite than this phone wouldn't be a good fit but if your just going for calls,texting, browsing the internet and even media consumption I think it is rock solid.

• dc5fan

Thank you for your info. To be honest I probably won't buy another phone from the site or a T-Mobile store that is in Champaign, IL. The main reason is I learned, and knew, that it would be a year before I could get it unlocked. I am at the lowest rung of services (PAYG $3 a month). I hardly use the 30 minutes per month on my phone. I did the same thing for 14+ years when I was on AT&T. Frankly there is no other carrier that has this pricing, and believe me I researched this option. In this Community I know I have ruffled some feathers. In the early months I have been here there were a couple of members who spoke negatively to me because I owned the unlocked AT&T S5. The Bands 2 & 4 are used in my area. I do hope to stick around here, and try to help the new customers when I can.

• dragon1562

Yes I do remember you from previous posts. I didn't mean to say that you should upgrade or what you said was incorrect. I just proposed what I believe to be a better solution. The device I had linked is the successor in some ways to your device while still maintaining the same price point. That was all. Also yes band 2 band 4 are used still and won't be going anywhere but in order for customers to get the best value its worth buying a phone that is somewhat future proofed especially since I got the impression that this person does not like to upgrade often.

• dc5fan

I didn't take your comments the wrong way. I'm in my mid60's and retired. I am having a ball here! I LOVE reading the negative posts and try to help where I can. Even watching the Consumer Cellular and others that are after the same age groups that I am in I just sit back and SMILE! BTW, I appreciate your comment regarding Bands 2 & 4. That bit of info is nice to read.