1 2 3 Previous Next
Branched to a new discussion.

Official Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+ Pre-order Thread

SamsungS9+The rumors are true: the new Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+ launch on March 16th, and we know you might have a few questions!

As of March 1st at 9:01 PM PST, pre-orders for these amazing new Samsung phones have begun. You can visit our pre-order info site now to be kept up to speed on all things related to these latest Galaxy offerings!

You can also find some helpful details in our blog and FAQ -- but if you have more questions, concerns, or random musings to share, this thread is for you! Your friendly neighborhood Support Community Managers will be monitoring and answering questions related, but not limited to:

• Shipping
    • Ordering and Pre-ordering
    • Release dates

We'd love to address any concerns about the Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+, so ask away!

All replies

• exavion

Hi there,

In the FAQ, you recommend ordering direct from the manufacturer to get an Unlocked version.  Will this version also support T-Mobile's 4x4MIMO, 256QAM and CA? 

• tmo_marissa

Greetings, exavion! This is a great question. Right now we have no info that directly calls out network compatibility on factory unlocked devices purchased directly from the manufacturer, because we can only confirm compatibility on TMO branded equipment. I will be happy to ask internally, but that may be something that Samsung will need to speak to.
          I wanna make sure to mention that we call that out in the FAQ only to best guide users who may have an upcoming trip immediately or very soon after launch date that would otherwise prevent them from satisfying the requirements to Unlock their mobile wireless device with us!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • bradgrant

I think it is weird they want you to pre order something but most of it is mysterious. Like take my money and you get a box of bubble wrap.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, bradgrant! Just to clarify, exavion was asking about the network compatibility of the factory unlocked device retailed by Samsung directly. We don't really tend to have info about equipment we're not retailing ourselves! I'm happy to clear up mysteries about the TMO branded S9 or S9+ if you have some questions. We've got pages for both devices built out already here: Samsung Galaxy S9 and Samsung Galaxy S9+, a blog about both: Take off with the Galaxy S9 and S9+, and a bunch of other general info in our FAQ: Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+ FAQ.

• exavion

Thanks tmo_marissa - I'll check with Samsung, but it would also be great if we could hear a definitive answer from T-Mobile, even something as simple as testing the Unlocked device internally and confirming they have all the same network capabilities as the T-Mobile firmware variants would be super helpful.

• rjsmommy726

I'm curious how pre ordering online will work with jump and me trading in my current device for the s9 50% off promo.

• tmo_marissa

I totally hear you. I know that at this point, we wouldn't have inventory of a factory unlocked device, so I wanna be up front that doing something like that isn't super likely (at least not right now) -- but it's good feedback and I will definitely pass it on! Thanks for understanding -- I wish I had an answer for you straight away! I promise (as the guy that wrote the FAQ) that the FAQ bullet didn't exist to create confusion.
                    If you do hear something back from Samsung, please let me know! I'll follow up with whatever I hear back from our internal contact, too.

• theartiszan

Are there going to be any preorder bonuses like with previous Galaxy releases? Ie vr headset or memory card.

• magenta4248176

Assuming you use the trade in offer for an S9/S9+. Will any model listed in each price category(below) get the full value, assuming phone it's condition is optimal?  Or will pricing be based on which model of phone you trade in?

$360 — GS8, GS8+, GS8 Active, GS7, GS7 edge, GS7 Active, Note 8, iPhone 8, iPhone 8+, iPhone 7, iPhone 7+, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s+, LG V30, LG V30+

$200 —GS4, GS5, GS6, GS6 edge, GS6 edge+, GS6 active, Note 4, Note 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, LG V20, LG G6, LG G5

For example will a GS8 vs a GS7 both get $360?

And then a GS6 vs a GS4 both get $200?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, folks! Great promo questions!

theartiszan - right now no word on any promo other than the up to 50% off with trade-in offer. I know that the info on the pre-reg site is a little limited compared to what we usually share here, we should have content on Support in our Deals space when pre-orders start, but if you have any questions about the promo, please ask and I'll do my best to drum up more specifics for you!

rjsmommy726 - taking advantage of this offer when you have JUMP! is a little tricky. In order to be eligible to trade your current phone in and participate in the promo, you'll need to own your current phone outright before you complete the pre-order (since the trade-in has to be tied to the pre-order). That means any existing balance on it would have to be paid off first by you, rather than turning the phone in to have the balance cleared out by the JUMP! program. In that sense, whether or not the offer makes sense for you really depends on how much you still owe on your current phone.

It's also worth noting that this promotion pays out in monthly credits, instead of a lump sum rebate, in case that might alter your decision. For example, let's say that you have an LG V30 with an existing EIP balance of $200. If you pay that off and then pre-order an S9+ with us on a new EIP and opt to trade-in the V30 for the promo, you will get the $360 promotional value via 24 monthly bill credits, rather than all at once.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta4248176! Thanks for bearing with me - I wanted to check your list against ours and make sure I didn't steer you in the wrong direction!

Everything you have here looks good. I know you understand that there are trade-in conditions to be met for quality (and the equipment must be owned outright prior to pre-ordering), and of course there are other eligibility terms, too. Overall, though, let's say these are pristine phones -- then based on what I have, totally: a GS4 and a GS6 would both qualify for the $200 trade-in offer and a GS8 and GS7 would both qualify for the $360 trade-in offer.

• bradgrant

They can all be unlocked. It first depends on if they mean international or US.

• magenta4250568

I will be enrolling into jump on demand on one of my lines and have a Samsung Note 4 to trade in which I own. Will i still quality for the $200 discount? Would it apply to discount for the full price of the phone or just for the time i will be leasing the S9 for? Say I upgrade to another phone in 3 months. Where does that $200 go if I am getting it in credit over numerous months. Thanks for your help!

• thechrisglass

If I'm planning on picking up the device at my local store when it launches on the 16th, should I go into that same store to pre-order instead of doing it online? If so, with my old Galaxy S4 for trade-in, do I bring that on the pre-order day or the pick up day?

1 2 3 Previous Next