Will an unactivated, undated SIM still work?

drnewcomb2

I found an old unused T-Mobile mini-SIM that predates the addition of expiration dates. If I carry this as a spare SIM on an overseas trip, is it just a waste of effort or can it be used as a backup SIM?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Oooh, good question! I'm not sure about a SIM that predates expiration dates, but I do know that internal teams have access to a tool that will allow them to check SIM status and maybe see whether it's showing as unassigned but still eligible to be activated or unassigned and terminated. I just did a double check with a spare SIM that I've had roosting in our junk drawer, which had an Activate By date of 9/19/2016, and it returned a "terminated" result. I think your safest bet would be to reach out to T-Force, if you're not opposed, and ask them to run the SIM status check for you, rather than take this as your back-up and wind up stranded!

• drnewcomb2

I called CS and was told the SIM was "terminated". The CSR tried to send me a free one but couldn't find a way to make it happen. Apparently there have been some changes in the system. She offered to give me a bill credit for one if I went to the store and bought it. Seems so complicated.

• tmo_marissa

Blergh! That does seem complicated. That's definitely a system change since my days on the phone (albeit there is more security around SIMs now in general, so it may not be that big of a surprise). I'm sorry that we weren't able to just ship it to you! Thanks for letting us know -- if that system's changed (re: ability to ship spare SIMs w/shipping cost only) then it's something that I want to make sure our team is aware of.