GALAXY S8 Oreo Update?

joekahn

Hey there,

Since TMO was is the testing phase of Oreo 8.0 for the S8/S8+ before it was halted, does that mean that TMO now needs to test the replacement update before they roll it out?

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: GALAXY S8 Oreo Update?

That would be correct. Every update always gets tested by the carrier.

• snn555

Testing is still ongoing and has not been halted.

Samsung Galaxy S8: Updated to Android 8.0

• androidz32015

The note 8 should have Oreo first since s9 and s9+ are just around the corner to be launched with Oreo likely why certain devices first?? My note 8 still non 7.1.1, Android 7 has been the worst os version to date and well outdated, Android should update all Samsung at the same time like Apple and ios??? Iphone, iPod, iPad all at the same time, Android should do the same..my opinion

• tidbits

androidz32015 wrote:

The note 8 should have Oreo first since s9 and s9+ are just around the corner to be launched with Oreo likely why certain devices first?? My note 8 still non 7.1.1, Android 7 has been the worst os version to date and well outdated, Android should update all Samsung at the same time like Apple and ios??? Iphone, iPod, iPad all at the same time, Android should do the same..my opinion

History has shown the Note line gets it later than the S variant for more than on reason.  One is being additional parts manufacturer support, and also addition features Samsung has to test compared to the S line.  Samsung is SLOW when it comes to updates.

Android can't do what iOS does.  This has been explained by developers outside of OEMs who have been in the industry for a long time.  Apple does everything in house and even develops their chips, and is proprietary. They work on their OS while developing the devices.  Android devices they are different even if the OS is "close to stock" they are not and each OEM has their twist.  Motorola for  example has Z mods.  It's not as simple as cut and paste and it should work.  Since Google makes the OS OEMs have to develop with what is on hand.  Android O was in development while the Note 8 was being developed.  Unless Google starts giving source code while they are working on the OS it will never happen like you want it to.

There's a lot more reasons but this is just some of the major ones.

• tronguy123

Oreo for S8 and S8+ came out early this morning, March 17th. Significant other and I are running it now. Looks good, 1.5GB download.