slow lte

stevonaz

I have a ATT tablet that's unlocked. I put in my t-mobile sim and it goes right on the network. It shows on the screed that I'm on tmobile lte. It's so slow. SO SLOW. I've checked my apn and it seems correct.

All replies

• snn555

Re: slow lte

Could be it doesn't connect to all available bands or frequencies because it's not compatible with all bands and frequencies in your area or with T-Mobile

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • dragon1562

I just want to ask if you know anyone else in the are with T-mobile that can test the service for you? Does the slow LTE happen both indoors and out? Is it during all parts of the day? I definitely think it is hardware limitations at play as generally tablets, especially carrier ones tend to be limited to their respective carrier.

• stevonaz

I have 2 tmobile phones. They both work fine. Depending on the time of day, 25-50 meg downloads. I put either sim in my unlocked tablet and itis slow, 1/2 meg downloads.

• dragon1562

Yep definitely a hardware issue. If you need a tablet to use then I would recommend purchasing one through T-mobile or at the very least checking in here before purchasing a unlocked one.

• stevonaz

The tab is one I had and was able to get it unlocked. Thought I'd give it a try with my sim just to see. It's a shame because it's a nice little tablet. Funny thing is, even with the crummy download speeds, I can stream netflix without an issue. No glitching or buffering.

• snn555

It's quite possible the plan might not be set up correctly and you are being throttled to certain speeds. You might want to check with T-Mobile to make sure the plan is good to go as well as provisioning for the tablet versus a smartphone. Even Even if you are not connecting to all bands and frequencies you should at least have band four.  You can do some random speed tests with Ookla as well as use apps like LTE Discovery to find out what band you're working on . You could also tell us the make and model and check the manufacturer support page for network info .

• stevonaz

That is going to be my nest step, going to the store and checking if I need a data only / tablet sim to make it work. It's a ZTE K88. The info I've found on it says it has all the bands on it we need for T-Mobile and then some - 1,2,4,5,7,12,29,30. Hopefully I just need a data sim and it will work. It might just be acting funny because it's a phone sim.

• snn555

I imagine that is exactly what the problem is. A tablet has a number attached to it but does not function like a phone number function and needs a different Sim with different information attached to it to function as a tablet should. So I would definitely say the problem is having a phone SIM in a tablet that is not meant to function as a phone wood and also having different line details attached to it. Most likely the network is not recognizing it properly. So the good news is that the tablet has no Hardware issue only a SIM card line provision issue.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, stevonaz !

I agree that the plan may be the root cause of getting poor data speeds. Have you had a chance to visit a store or call Customer Care to have them look over your plan? If so, did they get it sorted out?

Please let us know if the plan isn't the issue so we can continue working with you on a solution!

• stevonaz

Thanks for the reply. I have not had a chance to get to the store yet. I am 45 miles away. I'm hoping to get there today. I will update you all when I do.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Just checking to see if you were able to have our Care folks take a look at your plan and get your tablet squared away. Please give us a reply and let us know. Thank you.

• stevonaz

Thanks for the reply. I have not had a chance to get to the store yet. I am 45 miles away. I'm hoping to get there today. I will update you all when I do.

• stevonaz

Thank you to everyone. Yes, it was the sim card. Seems odd but what do I know. An ATT phone sim worked just fine with the tablet but I needed a data only sim from tmobile to make it function. download speeds are great with the tmobile data only sim