Complaint - Daily Unwanted Calls

behuvius

Hello,

First off before you read this, I want you to know, I love T-Mobile, and Ive been with you guys for a very very long time.

I need help, and I am hoping a T-Force can help me (with better ideas than what Support has given me so far)

I am receiving daily unwanted phone calls from a rotating phone number in the range of 512-577-XXXX. I have currently blocked 26 numbers using the Android OS, but I am getting tired of blocking the new number on a daily basis.

I called Support, but they said my only option is to change my phone number, which I do not want to do. Ive had this number for ages, and my life is pretty entangled in this number.

I also have been compiling the 26 phone numbers on an FCC complaint case #2190270, which I opened in January, but noone has responded to this case yet.

I know that 512-577-XXXX is given out by T-mobile, but I am being told they will not "selectively block" this phone number range on their side.

What other ideas do you have?

I find it unbelievable that T-mobile can't regulate or stop these harassing phone calls from a number that they control. If T-mobile cant find a resolution to this, I am starting to lose confidence in the T Mobile team.

Again I love you guys and I want to stay, this is tough love, but I need a better solution.

Thanks,

Here is the list of the incoming harassing phone numbers Ive been blocking daily so far.

512-577-73XX

512-577-82XX

512-577-77XX

512-577-65XX

512-577-96XX

512-577-11XX

512-577-48XX

512-577-68XX

512-577-93XX

512-577-62XX

512-577-48XX

512-577-30XX

512-577-94XX

512-577-80XX

512-577-80XX

512-577-45XX

512-577-83XX

512-577-95XX

512-577-59XX

512-577-66XX

512-577-36XX

512-577-99XX

*edited to alter phone numbers in the event that some may belong to customers - Marissa

All replies

• magenta4190532

Re: Complaint - Daily Unwanted Calls

Let me guess, your phone number starts with the same 6 digits? These are spoofed numbers. You are blocking REAL people who's phone numbers have been spoofed by spam bots. Blocking won't do you any good and you'll end up blocking local businesses and normal people too. As far as I know there is no way to bulk block numbers matching a range. I wish I could too because I, and I'm guessing a good majority of T-mobile customers, are getting daily spoofed spam calls from numbers matching the same 6 digits of their own phone number. Lucky for me, I don't now anyone in my area code, so I just ignore them. But the ringing is disturbing and it would be great to have a way to block the whole lot!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, behuvius! Welcome, and before you read this, I want to tell you we love you back! <3

I edited the last digits out of the numbers on your list because while I can't say for sure with 100% of these calls, I'm inclined to agree with magenta4190532 - this looks a lot like spoofing to me. It's a pain, and sometimes I get calls like this too. They're not isolated to T-Mobile customers, but I'm not sure how comforting it is to know that folks everywhere are being equally irritated by these kinds of calls.

There are a few resources you can take a look at here: Caller ID spoofing and text message spam - but it looks like you've already visited the FCC site, and that's one of the primary things we'd encourage you to do. I'm not sure if this was an acronym slip, but have you already reported these calls to the FTC as well, and registered on the do not call list?

As far as TMO services to combat this are concerned, Scam ID/Scam Block aren't as effective in this situation, because as the previous poster mentioned, these numbers most likely aren't the real numbers of the folks calling you -- but you can still report both false positives (calls identified as scam/spam numbers that are in fact legitimate) and misidentified scam calls (calls that appear normal but are actually not) to the vendor we use for this product for investigation here.

I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but I do want to make sure you know that if there was a way for us to block a set of numbers, we'd be all over it if it would make your day (or any awesome customer's!). At this point there's just not a system in place to do that. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that some of these recommendations are something that you haven't seen before and at least give you some additional options!

Thanks so much for posting, and for the love.

Marissa

• behuvius

Sincerely many thanks for the replies so far, but I'm looking for something more than speculation and delegation. I know that TMobile has the technical ability and acumen to either block this range of phone numbers for me, or to trace the source of these phone calls.

If this is the only answer the community can provide, I'll accept it and move on, but I know 100% that TMobile can do more than pawn me off to the FCC or FTC with a speculation (one that hasn't even been confirmed) and some dead-end Links for reporting misidentified numbers. This and a couple of other events is leaving a bad taste in my mouth of late, and another carrier might be the way to go here.

Thanks.

• snn555

Outside of using apps, as suggested, other carriers have the same issues. If you have a phone, a spoofer can call it.

• tidbits

behuvius wrote:

Sincerely many thanks for the replies so far, but I'm looking for something more than speculation and delegation. I know that TMobile has the technical ability and acumen to either block this range of phone numbers for me, or to trace the source of these phone calls.

If this is the only answer the community can provide, I'll accept it and move on, but I know 100% that TMobile can do more than pawn me off to the FCC or FTC with a speculation (one that hasn't even been confirmed) and some dead-end Links for reporting misidentified numbers. This and a couple of other events is leaving a bad taste in my mouth of late, and another carrier might be the way to go here.

Thanks.

Legally they can't...  There was a lawsuit many years ago and the way the current rules are their hands are tied.  Even the FCC says to report this stuff to them.  Carriers lost a lawsuit that kept cell numbers private.  They even begged their customers to call the FCC and courts to put pressure of them to allow them to keep our numbers private.  Alas no one listened and now this is the results.

You can switch carriers and the results will be the same.  I frequent their boards as well and we hear this almost daily.  You can use 3rd party apps to help out, but even they can't scrub all calls and quite a few still come in.

• behuvius

I'm not asking T Mobile to look into who owns any of these phone numbers and/or to reveal the owners names or any other private information. That FCC lawsuit isnt applicable to what is happening here. Thanks though.

• tidbits

behuvius wrote:

I'm not asking T Mobile to look into who owns any of these phone numbers and/or to reveal the owners names or any other private information. That FCC lawsuit isnt applicable to what is happening here. Thanks though.

Legally the can't.  Privacy laws and all that.  There would need to be a court order to do so, or FCC intervention.  Since our numbers were made public anyone can get our numbers and call us even if the DNC is in effect.  The lawsuit also stops carriers from stopping these calls because they can't tell if they are legitimate, or not even if the customer doesn't like them.  Cause and effect my friend.

The FCC did set some new rules before Trump administration put the current head, but those rules didn't go into effect until recently.  Even then the scope is limited and it's what spawned one of the 3rd party apps that was mentioned in this thread.

Which AT&T just licensed recently and Verizon is beta testing their own which will have a charge to use. 

• snn555

I missed what you considered to be the correct answer.  Could you clarify how the issue was resolved.

• snn555

You can use a call blocking app like Hiya to block spam and scam as well as block ranges of numbers and area codes and prefixes. Works well for me. Also IDs calls.

3 of 3 people found this helpful