Is 2G GSM service still provided?

rbob

My wife’s been using my old Nexus 6 on her old prepaid plan and really, really hates the phone. I’d like to find a basic phone, either unlocked or T-Movile specific, but all of them that I see are 2G quad band.

Will such a phone work on today’s T-Mobile network? Will there be coverage in the same places that 3/4G coverage is available?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Is 2G GSM service still provided?

There's no easy answer. T-Mobile is generally not adding any new 2G coverage in new areas. They are maintaining existing 2G coverage with a big caveat: In some areas they are depreciating 2G service to such a reduced level that it may only be good for some M2M applications. One example is NYC, where they have just a bit of 2G running in the guard-bands of their PCS LTE service. Customers there with some older and BYOD devices complained bitterly about reduced service, dropped calls, etc. when this change went into effect. To really use T-Mobile's service you need a phone that's fully compatible (e.g. Nexus 6). T-Mobile is charging into the future, not looking back and "devil-take-the-hindmost". Their attitude seems to be that the customer can keep up or find service elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I don't think T-Mobile provides any good options for customers who don't want a smart-phone. If they do, I'm not aware.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dragon1562

T-mobile does have one flip phone device available that uses all the tech needed to make nice clear calls and send texts. Also drnewcomb2 basically answered the question. It is not advisable to use a strictly 2g phone if you want to enjoy even half the coverage that is available now a days. All the carriers are this way, AT&T has decommission most of its 2g network Verizon has begun to do the same with its 1x. I think Sprint is the only one maintaining 1x but its useless.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • dragon1562

Alcatel GO FLIP | Price, Specs & More | T-Mobile  this would be the perfect phone for her

• rbob

I looked at that before I went diving into the (really) cheap basic phones on Walmart’s Web site. I see that it supports 4G LTE service which might be a problem. The PAYGO plan my wife keeps has no data support. When I set the Nexus 6 to 4G mode, the phone simply didn’t work. When I moved it down to 3G, it worked fine. Oddly, I still had to enable data in the phone config to get it going. It’s possible that the phone would work in 4G mode and I just gave up to quickly, but my wife’s annoyed enough already for me to subject her to more experiments.

Still, if a 4G phone can be made to work on her plan, or the Alcatel can be moved down to 3G, $75 is a small price to pay to keep everybody happy.

• magenta1021

T-Mobile does have the Alcatel flip phone that has 4G LTE capabilities! It's cheap, basic, and will cover the bands she needs. If you want something that is an entry level smart phone, perhaps consider a J3 Prime. Touch screen, cheaper, all the bands she would need, too.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Were you still looking for a basic phone or did you find one that worked for you? I'm sure any T-Mobile branded device we're currently selling should be fine but if you're looking for a Non-T-Mobile device, it's still possible it'll work, but it can be tricky. We'd just like to make sure you get what you need.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, rbob! Just wanted to check in and make sure you got all of the info you needed!

• tmo_mike_c

Hey again.

Just want to know if you still need some help here. Please let us know if we can assist further. Thanks!