Port security PIN

giega

So I received a text message from T-Mobile saying to call customer service and setup a PIN in order to avoid the port out scam. So I called T-Mobile and the rep asked to tell him over the phone what PIN I would like to use. Seriously?! I personally never give out any PIN to anyone over the phone. Period. I should be able to set that PIN in my account online so if there is an issue, T-Mobile can tell me my PIN and ask if it's correct. He said it was the only way to do it now or go to the TMO store and have store clerk to set it up. Again, telling clerk my PIN. Wrong approach, T-Mobile!

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Port security PIN

Hey, giega! I totally respect your preference for a self-service option when it comes to setting up port security -- right now, much like if you wished to set up a Customer Care password, this is something that can only be completed with a representative, but that's valuable feedback and we'll pass it on!

This PIN is intended to be 6 - 15 digits long, and different from a standard PIN you'd use for something like your bank. Setting this up with one of our representatives can protect your line from being ported to another provider without your permission -- submitting any port-out request once the PIN and the Port Validation features are in place on your account will require that this same PIN be verified to complete a port-out. Although we don't have a MyT-Mobile option to add this feature and establish the PIN at this time; if you're active on social media and would feel more comfortable, you may be able to get this set up online with our T-Force team. Through DM on Twitter or using Facebook's Message feature, we have a platform to verify your account and see if there's an option to help that way!

Thanks again for taking the time to post your feedback here. If we hear anything about a self-help option for setting this up, I'll be sure to return to this post and let you know.

• magenta4246115

I have called twice to set up my port validation number.  Both times the people on the other end were laughing and not helpful.  Is this text even legitimate?  I'm beginning to wonder if Tmobile actually sent it out.  When calling the number provided and saying why I am calling, I am sent to departments that have no idea what a port validation code is.

• dragon1562

The text is very serious and I can't believe the reps would laugh about such a matter. If you have a hard time you may try reaching out on Social media. Honestly you should not have to be transfered for this as this is something all reps should have the ability to add to your account.I suggest giving it one more shot and just say you want to add a password to your account for port outs. I wish you luck and am sorry you have had a rough time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • drnewcomb2

I don't think it's so bad. It's not an ATM PIN. When I call Customer Service to talk about my account, I have to give them my passcode. I don't tell them, "No I won't, it's a secret." When I talk to the alarm company, I have to give them a code. All this happens over the phone. IMHO, you're making too much of it.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • dragon1562

I agree with drnewcomb2, however I also understand the idea of keeping this specific pin more sercure. However, honestly any worker for T-mobile would be able to know the pin if they really wanted to so its irrational to think that the rep your speaking with would want to port your phone number out to another carrier while on the phone with you or something like that.

I would set your pin up ASAP as your more likely to be affected by some random person with bad intentions. Thats just me though. Also if it does make you feel any better I called in and had it added for me and it worked out fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • giega

That's the idea - I securely set my PIN via my profile

so TMO rep can look it up and tell me the PIN for

verification if needed. I simply don't want to set any PINs

verbally over the phone. Imagine your bank rep

asking you to set your ATM PIN over the phone.

And that's right, this is not my ATM PIN. However, if the

phone porting scam can be used to circumvent two-factor authentication for my bank account, this TMO security

measure should be more secure.

Once again, I won't set any PINs verbally.

• tmo_marissa

I understand your hesitance, and I wish there were an alternative. While we were able to pass the feedback up, right now there isn't a timeline for self-service functionality for the PIN, and to be honest, I'd strongly encourage you to set one with a representative either over the phone or through a secure, verified connection on FB Message or DM on Twitter, rather than leave the account vulnerable to porting without your permission. That said, it's absolutely your choice -- it's just hard for us to not recommend it when we've seen what the alternative can be! Thanks again for taking the time to post and voicing your concern here.

- Marissa

• drnewcomb2

I learned that T-Mobile no longer supports an account password. You have to adopt an account PIN, which also becomes your Port-Out PIN.

• tmo_marissa

I just wanted to update this thread with a link to a new Support doc that one of our colleagues put up a few days ago! Hopefully this will help a bit:
                        Protect yourself from scams!

• magenta4271858

I tried to add a port validation PIN to my account and I was told that port validation PINs are only available for post-paid accounts so they would not set one for me. Is that true?

I have a pre-paid plan and I'm extremely unhappy that you (or that CS rep) are not willing to provide the same protection for all your customers. If there is a way to add a porting validation PIN to my account, please reply with the steps here, including the exact thing I should ask the CS person for.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta4271858! I'm sorry for the delay in reply here. The security of your account is important, no matter what type of account it is! Systematically, it’s already a requirement to verify a prepaid PIN before the number can be ported out, so the Port Validation feature isn’t needed. We're happy to make sure your PIN is as secure as possible if you want to Contact Us.