T-Mobile Tuesday and “incentivize”

bradgrant

I saw that some people in the comments on T-Mobile's Facebook are getting post-incentives to their T-Mobile Tuesday's for making positive reviews. When I saw one of the reps state this my jaw dropped... using T-Mobile Tuesday's as a discreet way to incentivize positive reviews. Maybe the rep misspoke but I have a feeling they probably just said something they should not have said in public. IMG_20180221_040845.jpg

All replies

• olschoolvideo

Re: T-Mobile Tuesday and “incentivize”

TT is a marketing strategy... a brilliant one as much as it pains me to say. The affiliate companies pay T-mobile to be part of the program in hopes of getting more business. More TT app downloads, more affiliate subscribers and buyers, more $ for T-mobile.

They aren't shy about rewarding 'gloating'... of course this all fits the fake John Veneer T-Mobile culture anyway.

• dragon1562

I don't understand the question or concern. A lot of companies market in this way, I thought it was a normal and effective strategy on social media.

• bradgrant

Read this link and read what they said in the post. By the way the comment from T-Mobile was deleted.  The FTC’s Endorsement Guides: What People Are Asking | Federal Trade Commission

• tidbits

bradgrant wrote:

Read this link and read what they said in the post. By the way the comment from T-Mobile was deleted. The FTC’s Endorsement Guides: What People Are Asking | Federal Trade Commission

Google just gave me 2 movie tickets for taking photos and reviewing a couple of stores in a shopping mall which I will use to watch Black Panther.  Yelp is known to have a lot of sponsored reviews without marking them sponsored in any way and no one bats an eye.  T-Mobile doesn't actually sponsors any reviews at all.  Gloating what you have get getting extra for doing it comes the question... Where's the review?

• smplyunprdctble

tidbits wrote:

Google just gave me 2 movie tickets for taking photos and reviewing a couple of stores in a shopping mall which I will use to watch Black Panther. Yelp is known to have a lot of sponsored reviews without marking them sponsored in any way and no one bats an eye. T-Mobile doesn't actually sponsors any reviews at all. Gloating what you have get getting extra for doing it comes the question... Where's the review?

**off topic** -- but, you violated mall rules if you took photos in a shopping mall .  I almost had my camera confiscated once by mall security when the Cow Parade was here and I wanted pics of all the cows.  I had not known this was a rule since everyone break it

I'm forever placing you on the list of rulebreakers

• tidbits

smplyunprdctble wrote:

tidbits wrote:

Google just gave me 2 movie tickets for taking photos and reviewing a couple of stores in a shopping mall which I will use to watch Black Panther. Yelp is known to have a lot of sponsored reviews without marking them sponsored in any way and no one bats an eye. T-Mobile doesn't actually sponsors any reviews at all. Gloating what you have get getting extra for doing it comes the question... Where's the review?

**off topic** -- but, you violated mall rules if you took photos in a shopping mall . I almost had my camera confiscated once by mall security when the Cow Parade was here and I wanted pics of all the cows. I had not known this was a rule since everyone break it

I'm forever placing you on the list of rulebreakers

I had consent kind of...

• bradgrant

Those come with obvious disclosures. It is when the incentive is not disclosed by the reviewer. I know a lot of people get incentives and do not say that they were rewarded in someway which has warped the review system.

• tidbits

bradgrant wrote:

Those come with obvious disclosures. It is when the incentive is not disclosed by the reviewer. I know a lot of people get incentives and do not say that they were rewarded in someway which has warped the review system.

Actually it doesn't in the face of the public.  Google has a disclosure but it isn't front a center and you have to scour to find it.  Also T-Mobile does disclose sponsored testimonials and even gives the FCC guidelines.  You can find it in the T-Mobile Tuesdays along with the contest rules.  It's actually easier to find than the Google one.

• bradgrant

The were insinuating that they are giving "random" prices to people who give T-Mobile positive reviews.

• dragon1562

Awe I understand the concern now in question. Although I do not believe this fits the bill for the concern as T-mobile is not actually sponsoring anyone to give shoutouts. There just saying to talk about this awesome service which may get you a better chance at a prize. Similar to those raffle websites that give you more chances to win each time you get someone new to enter. This is how I took it. Besides there is no product to buy here since T-mobile Tuesdays are free.

• tidbits

bradgrant wrote:

The were insinuating that they are giving "random" prices to people who give T-Mobile positive reviews.

Go into the T-mobile Tuesday and and check for yourself in the terms and conditions it specifically states what you are looking for, and even has a link to the FCC regulation about it.

There is no insinuating

• tidbits

So in that regard if the person doesn't disclose then that's just like any and almost all review sites something they can't control.  Google does give incentives even if it's their own products but must be disclosed. Their review system is one such product which not many people know you get incentives to use it. 

T-Mobile Tuesdays - Welcome

VIRAL CONTENT DISTRIBUTION

Company may grant you – but only through express written permission – the limited, revocable permission to engage in certain expressly described personal uses of Materials as may from time to time be made available via forms of digital delivery on the App or website(s) for such purpose ("Viral Distribution"). Express written permission for Viral Distribution may include these personal uses: (a) sending Materials to friends or acquaintances at no charge; (b) posting and displaying a copy of Materials on a personal website; or (c) posting and displaying a copy of Materials on a third party website that permits users to post content, so long as the posting is allowed pursuant to the third party site terms and conditions, and provided that the third party website does not charge for access to those Materials or associate those Materials with products, services or advertising. If expressly permitted and made available on the App or website(s), you may engage in Viral Distribution pursuant to these Terms, but you will not make any use of or license, distribute, reproduce, or otherwise exploit any part of the Materials without our express written permission.

You are required to comply with the FTC Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising at 16 CFR 255 (available at http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/press-releases/ftc-publishes-final-guides-governing-endorsements-testimonials/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf). These obligations include disclosing in any social media post or communication, or any other communication that you may have received compensation (including rewards and prizes).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      • bradgrant

As usually everything you have said is correct.

• tidbits

bradgrant wrote:

As usually everything you have said is correct.

Not always right, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I do got a lot of times in my hands

• bradgrant

My issue is that it what was stated would be post de facto incentive. A incentive after the review, message, comment that is intended to be a a review. I suppose almost anything people say could be consider a review. It just depends on if it is individual and can an individual do a review while receiving a post de facto incentive prize.

• tidbits

bradgrant wrote:

My issue is that it what was stated would be post de facto incentive. A incentive after the review, message, comment that is intended to be a a review. I suppose almost anything people say could be consider a review. It just depends on if it is individual and can an individual do a review while receiving a post de facto incentive prize.

Well if you want to call it that way then it is always disclosed every time you get something and gloat about it.  It's no different even if they get extra if they do it enough times.  There's always an incentive and some get more than others.

I gloat I got free VUDU every week then I get a free Amazon discount does seem all that big of a deal considered every time you got some incentive which you disclosed. 

I am willing to bet the FCC will not do anything even if they brought it up, and I bet you are probably not the first to bring it up even if that tweet is there or not.