Switch from SimpleChoice to T-Mobile One for Apple Watch access?

ftwilson

Hello,

We have five lines with the SimpleChoice North America 10GB plan. Four of those lines were "paid for" and then we got the fifth line as part of a "free line" promotion. We pay $140/mo, which comes to a total of about $165/month (tax included). We also pay $10.99/mo for Netflix, separately. We have the below benefits on our plan:

Free video streaming with 3GB or higher data plan

Free music streaming on included services

Unused data rolls forward with 3GB or higher data plan

No annual service contracts or overages

Use your device in Canada & Mexico

Free overseas texting & roaming

Wi-Fi calling

Gogo in-flight benefits

Mobile hotspot

The highest data usage for an individual account is up to about 8.5GB; with the rollover, none of us ever goes over the 10GB. We don't really stream music (but nice bene). We don't usually go to Canada or Mexico, but don't want to pay if we do. Definitely WANT the overseas texting and roaming, though we don't really use it. Wifi calling is key. Didn't even know we had the Gogo inflight benefit. AND, we definitely use the mobile hotspot (if that means that we share our phone's cellular data connection with, for example, a nearby iPad).

Now, we have a couple of shiny new Apple Watch 3's with the LTE option. As I understand it, you can only add an Apple Watch to a T-Mobile ONE plan (not our existing plan). And, I understand that it's $10/mo for each watch.

So, my question is do we come out ahead or behind if we go with a T-Mobile ONE plan, for these five lines, plus two Apple Watches and Netflix?

• The unlimited data is not essential (we don't max out now).
    • I'm not sure how the plans differ on video streaming (the kids stream more video than the adults do).
    • I'm not sure how the plans differ on music streaming (ditto above).
    • THE BIG ISSUE: seems to be the mobile hotspot. Currently, we get hotspot at 4G speeds, but in the T-Mobile ONE--unless we pay more--we get only 3G speeds. What is a kid likely to notice on his iPad, streaming YouTube?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Todd

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

You brought up some really good points about these plans. Particularly around the hotspot feature. It'll really all come down to what features are most important to what you and your other lines really want to have. Have you already made the switch or were you still debating?

• ftwilson

Thanks for your note back. We have not pulled the trigger.

At this point, my biggest concern is with the loss of 4G LTE speed hotspot use. Today, we can offer one of our iPhones as a hotspot for an iPad at 4G LTE speeds. This happens almost exclusively on occasional road trips, so this is not a day-to-day question (though I don’t want to have to pay extra even then, on a day-by-day basis, if I can avoid it).

So, part of the issue comes down to: how much of a quality loss would we notice streaming YouTube or NetFlix on an iPad tethered to an iPhone on TMobile ONE vs on SimpleChoice? Right now, I don’t know of any way to simulate this or test it out. If you can recommend one, I’m all ears.

Thanks!

Todd

• tmo_mike_c

Okay. Thanks for the reply. Based on your usage, if you're not going over 10GB, I think you'll be fine making the switch. As for testing how well the 3G service does on hotspot, the only thing I can think of is to manually change the device's settings to use only a 3G connection. You might be able to get an idea of how well 3G does if you do something like that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • nelfar212

We took advantage of the next tier simple choice plan The family match promo it a tad more expensive $150 for 4 lines with a unlimited LTE and 14 gb of LTE Hotspot with all the other perks and bennies you posted, I pay $227 mo for 8 lines (5 voice, 2 tablets and 1 smart watch) , I did a cost comparison with everything I have now it would cost me $120 more for TMO One for inferior service, so I won't be switching? also why can't a smart-watch plan be added? I added one to my plan. I'll say this Simple Choice plans beat TMO One all day everyday as far as value goes, however TMO beats any plan on todays market.

• tidbits

nelfar212 wrote:

We took advantage of the next tier simple choice plan The family match promo it a tad more expensive $150 for 4 lines with a unlimited LTE and 14 gb of LTE Hotspot with all the other perks and bennies you posted, I pay $227 mo for 8 lines (5 voice, 2 tablets and 1 smart watch) , I did a cost comparison with everything I have now it would cost me $120 more for TMO One for inferior service, so I won't be switching? also why can't a smart-watch plan be added? I added one to my plan. I'll say this Simple Choice plans beat TMO One all day everyday as far as value goes, however TMO beats any plan on todays market.

If you were not on that promotional plan T-Mobile one would be the better plan.  Even if you have the unlimited data SC then T-Mobile One would also be better.  The good thing is you can keep any promotional plan until you change out of it.

• dragon1562

T-mobile one is a incredible value if you had the older simple choice unlimited plan and if you are a power user like myself. I regularly use about 15Gb a month. Which is alot considering that there is wifi everywhere on my college campus. I also pay about $15 dollars less for better service overall. It always comes down to a case by case basis for everyone. For me and many people T-mobile one ended up being a great value for others with promotions it was not.

• dragon1562

In your guys case I would hold off on T-mobile one until another promotion arrises. I would also add on one plus to a couple of the lines that need it most so that you can hotspot at LTE speeds like you are used to, and so those lines can stream HD video like they do now.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, Todd!

Just swinging by to see if the helpful info that a few of our super users provided has answered your question about switching plans. If not, please let me know what info you need clarified or if you have any other questions.

• tmo_mike_c

Hello again.

Just popping in to see if were still needing help before making the switch or if you've done so already. Please let us know what you decided and if you need more help. Thanks!