Subject headers for MMS messages

mrrogers327

Currently on my Galaxy s7, all MMS messages by default display <Subject: NoSubject>. Is there a way to disable the display so that MMS messages look like regular text messages?Community

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Subject headers for MMS messages

T-Mobile branded?

• dragon1562

Well it should show up as a (random.img) header unless in a group chat. Generally speaking there is not as far as I am aware. Has this always been like this or did it just start happening? Is this a T-mobile branded phone like tidbits asked?

• tmo_chris

This is pretty strange. I couldn’t really find anything on the internet about this except that if you are using Hangout as your default messaging app that you can try clearing the Hangouts app cache and data and testing again.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Just checking to see if you've tried the suggestion above. Please give us a reply and let us know. Thanks!

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Did you get a chance to speak with Samsung yet?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey!

Have you heard any word from Samsung? Please keep us posted and let us know what they've told you? Thanks!

• magenta4354518

This is a known issue with T-Mobile for years. Search the internet and you'll see plenty of complaints on different forums. I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 branded with T-Mobile, with no issue. Now I have Huawei Mate 10 Pro unlocked and the issue exists. It seems more common for non branded phones in general and is an exclusive problem to T-Mobile. I spoke with support,  troubleshooted with no luck, resetting and checking all messaging settings. Huawei support said it was likely my carrier.

• tidbits

magenta4354518 wrote:

This is a known issue with T-Mobile for years. Search the internet and you'll see plenty of complaints on different forums. I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 branded with T-Mobile, with no issue. Now I have Huawei Mate 10 Pro unlocked and the issue exists. It seems more common for non branded phones in general and is an exclusive problem to T-Mobile. I spoke with support, troubleshooted with no luck, resetting and checking all messaging settings. Huawei support said it was likely my carrier.

It has to do with international devices not made for the US device.  Just because a device sold in the US doesn't mean they modified the code from their international counterparts.  International devices could add a toggle to turn that off or not, but they don't.

• magenta4354518

While that may be true, no other carrier has this issue with the headers in messages. I don't even have a way to edit the subject line if I really wanted to write one, it's just there looking ugly by default. Huawei never intended to provide the feature nor expected to support it from what I can gather.

• per2070

I've had my Samsung S8 since 12/2017 with Verizon as my carrier and didn't have that problem. I just

switched the same phone from Verizon to T-Mobile 2 weeks ago and this problem of, <Subject: NoSubject>,

just started.  It's not only Group Conversations, it's individual Conversations as well but intermittently on

the individual replies, one reply in the individual conversation might present the <Subject: NoSubject>

and the very next reply may or may not present that header?  So I'm thinking it's not an International

Samsung problem and could be T-Mobile specific, in my case?

• per2070

Forgot to mention that my wife's phone has the exact same issue.  It's a Samsung S8 too, bought both together 12/2017.

• per2070

Update: Seems the problem was that MMS was not Configured on our phones.  Reason being is that I bought these phones Online!!  The T-Mobile SIM

cards were sent to me in the mail and all I was to do was install them and have them activated. That was all done correctly and the phones were working.

The step that was 'missed' was that I was suppose to go to the T-Mobile store for them to configure MMS on the phones, didn't know that.  Just spent an

hour on the phone with their subject matter expert and got the issue resolved.  We configured the phones for MMS manually and ALL is well.  Here's

the instructions that I followed that worked FOR ME; no more <Subject: NoSubject> header:

• To set the Access Point Name (APN) and turn on data settings, follow these steps:
                                • Go to the Home screen.
                                • To open the menu, swipe up or down on the screen.
                                • Choose Settings.
                                • Choose Connections.
                                • Choose Mobile networks.
                                • Choose Access Point Names.
                                • Choose ADD.
                                • Under Name, enter T-Mobile MMS
                                • Under APN, enter epc.tmobile.com
                                • Scroll down.
                                • Under Multimedia message proxy, do not enter anything
                                • Under Multimedia message port, do not enter anything
                                • Under MCC, enter 310
                                • Under MNC, enter 260
                                • Under Authentication type, check Not set.
                                • Choose APN type.
                                • If this screen appears, enter mms (note: in lower case) and choose OK.
                                • If this screen does not appear, check MMS and choose OK.
                                • Choose the options symbol.
                                • Choose Save.
                                • Return to the Home screen.
                                • To finish the process and activate the settings, you need to restart the device. Your Samsung Galaxy S8 will then be configured to use of MMS.
                                • For instructions on how to restart your device follow the next steps.
                                • To reboot the Samsung Galaxy S8, press and hold the power button on the side of the Samsung Galaxy S8.
                                • Choose Restart.
                                • Choose Restart.
                                • The Samsung Galaxy S8 will automatically reboot.
                                • If this screen appears, enter the PIN code and choose OK.
                                • If this screen does not appear, go to the next step.
                                • If this screen appears, swipe your finger over the screen to unlock it.
                                • If this screen does not appear, go to the next step.
                                • The Samsung Galaxy S8 is now ready for use.
                                • The device is set up for MMS. If you have data coverage, you can send a message to test the connection.