Unlocked Samsung J7 - WiFi Calling

llllynch

As a new T-Mobile customer last fall, my unlocked phone had Wi-Fi calling available (Settings/Connections/More Connection Settings/Wi Fi Calling).  Suddenly, the Wi Fi Calling option is no longer there.  Multiple calls between T-Mobile (they say I should have it) and Samsung (they say T-Mobile disabled it) are fruitless.  Perhaps an update caused it to disappear, but T-Mobile repeatedly verifies that my plan and phone should still offer it.  My daughter has a different Samsung model, also unlocked (Samsung 7 Edge) and her Wi Fi calling is operational.  I rely on the function in areas where there is no connectivity.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I realize it is not guaranteed on unlocked phones, but, all T-Mobilers they say it "should" be available to me.  Tech support, phone support, chat - all tell me the same.  This phone has multiple issues with connectivity, "no network available" errors, etc.  Hardware, software, any ideas?  Thank you!

All replies

• snn555

Re: Unlocked Samsung J7 - WiFi Calling

Have you attempted a factory reset especially if you have any other issues? Also you may have received an update from the original carrier of that model phone.

• llllynch

Thanks.

Not yet.  Yes, I agree it may be a recent an update that caused this.  I called Samsung, went to Best Buy (Samsung referred me to Best Buy's Samsung Experience store) but there are few in my area that offer it, and those that do maintain no schedule of when the representative is there.  T-Mobile has no control over Samsung software if that is the case.  A factory reset was my thought, but T-Mobile says that will not eliminate the update.  It's almost as if the Wi-Fi setting is impacting the phone but the Wi-Fi ability is no longer visible to change.  One Best Buy that offers the service told me that the Samsung representative is on vacation and, if she can help, she will only give me the directions to "flash" the software at home since their Wi-Fi is slow.  I don't know who to believe.

• llllynch

I did the factory reset and nothing changed.  I called Samsung, and there are no service centers in my area.  Samsung is phasing out their Experience sections at Best Buy stores and, even if I find one, Best Buy says their Wi Fi does not accommodate a software reflash.  Samsung says they cannot flash software in any other way except service center or mail.  They would consider it as a warranty issue but they do not support unlocked phones.  Best Buy will consider a phone swap for $60 (Geek Squad Protection) but if they believe software is the cause, I am out of luck.  Then again, why would I chip in more money for the same phone that will eventually require an update and have the same issue?  Latest T-Mobile rep thinks that somehow the phone is trying to use Wi Fi calling as a primary method, but I am unable to change the settings since the phone no longer shows the Wi Fi option.  This gives me a bad feeling about Samsung since there is no way to obtain service on their products.  I also have no guarantee that a different phone on a T-Mobile network will produce a better result.  I am lost.

• tmo_lauren

This sounds like the biggest issue is our side not giving complete information. While we certainly do not disable the feature like Samsung is mentioning, we aren't able to guarantee that WiFi calling is going to work on a non T-Mobile device/unlocked device. This is definitely something we should have let you know before the total run around. It's not something we can enable or really know what may have changed from our side, but if Samsung isn't able to provide direct assistance, I am not sure if there is much else to do.

-Lauren

• llllynch

Agreed. The WiFi calling was there and usable, and suddenly not.  T-Mobile's incorrect information led us to purchase 4 phones.  Now we discover the only way to ensure functionality is to buy 4 more.  So I wrestle with staying with this service or switching to a competitor.  Any way you look at it, I must purchase phones.  Thanks for your reply.

2 of 2 people found this helpful