Are T-mobile Customers Treated Equally on the network?

dragon1562

Hey I wanted to get some clarification in regards to how data traffic is prioritized. So I understand that there is a 50GB soft cap for data usage regardless of plan choice. I also understand that hot spot data is automatically depriotized thus, I am fine with getting slower speeds. What I do not understand is why me and a friend can be standing right next to each other, and why I will pull speeds that are up to 40mb higher than his. We will be on the same server when this occurs and we both have GS8s.

Now to be clear I doesn't effect real world performance in the slightest since his speeds on average are around the 20-30mb threshold. I'm just curious why speeds can vary so much between the two of us when all other factors are being controlled to the best of my ability. I have the one plus plan and he has the base plan being the only difference.

I am asking this question today since other carriers have begun the practice of prioritizing the more expensive plans over the base plans like AT&T and Verizon and if T-mobile is deciding to do so I would like to know since it effects my decision as a consumer when investing in plans. I also want to be clear when I say that I understand this practice as Sprint has done this for a while now with their plans and pre-paid options always get 2nd class treatments on the main networks. It is what makes the post paid side more attractive to power users like me.

I also wanted to ask if anyone had any information about upgrades in the State College area that could also be causing this anomaly.

Again I am completely happy with service but just wanted to know

Thanks everyone,

Dragon1562

All replies

• tidbits

background processes and checks also affects performance.  Also running VPN, or P2P affects traffic speed as well. 

want to add even if they are the "same device" by name they are not the same.  A difference of amount of solder can affect the performance of a device as well. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dragon1562

I understand that there will be variance in those regards but to have such a dramatic difference in performance doesn't seem right. I even made sure to check that we were connecting to the same tower. Both of us were connected to both band 4(20x20) and band 2(5x5). I also killed all background apps prior to testing. Now granted some could of came back, but there was no notification to show that anything major was going on.

• tidbits

dragon1562 wrote:

I understand that there will be variance in those regards but to have such a dramatic difference in performance doesn't seem right. I even made sure to check that we were connecting to the same tower. Both of us were connected to both band 4(20x20) and band 2(5x5). I also killed all background apps prior to testing. Now granted some could of came back, but there was no notification to show that anything major was going on.

variances can be larger than you think.  For example we recently made 200 things(I can't tell you what they are).  199 work as intended but we have one that doesn't even preform half of what it should be doing.  Everything during building is within tolerances.  We had to start over with that specific one and the one that replaced it works without a hitch.  This happens in all electronics.  Sometimes you can find some that slip through the cracks and people have poor performance one way or another.  Bootlooping, or problems with specific apps no matter what they do. 

I would buy stock in closing apps.  Factory reset both phones and test from there.  You guys don't use the same apps and most processes do come back up even after you close them, but even Samsungs little tool doesn't always report it and show 100% after the fact. 

Have you guys tried changing sims and devices?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • drnewcomb2

I'm not really sure about this but I'd be willing to bet that Neville Ray's phone gets priority over mine.