07405 - Kinnelon, NJ

dossy

I don't know if there's a formal way of reporting low/no coverage to T-Mobile, but this forum seems like a good place to start.

In the area of the Kinnelon High School and Kinnelon Public Library, T-Mobile signal drops to zero - I don't know if there's some equipment there actively blocking cellular service (e.g., the high school) or if it's something else?  We switched from AT&T to T-Mobile back in November 2017, and I know that my AT&T coverage was very poor in that same exact location.

Since I drive past that location regularly as we live in Butler and my children both go to school in Denville, it's kind of a regular nuisance (music stream drops, calls drop, etc.) while passing that point of my trip.

Here's a Google Maps pin to the particular stretch of road where it's most pronounced: Google Maps

Is there known cellular service blocking equipment being operated in that area?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: 07405 - Kinnelon, NJ

Looking a various independent coverage maps, it does look pretty bad there. AT&T doesn't seem to fare much better at that location. You might want to call customer service and ask to fill out a service ticket for this location. I'm not saying it will do any good but they will have the information. Not sure how T-Mobile expects to keep family accounts if they don't cover high schools.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • dragon1562

As drnewcomb2 said, file a ticket. Then maybe 3 days later call back and ask for what the engineers had to say for the area. I'm sure the reason for the poor coverage will come down to the geography and the city not playing nice with the cell companies as far as installing equipment.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • dossy

That’s what is so strange - look at the Google Map satellite view - the terrain there is fairly uniform and flat - and the signal is fine both 1/4 mile before and after that area... which is why I’m wondering if someone is operating equipment to interfere with cell service, such as the high school, to prevent students from using their phones on campus or something?

• drnewcomb2

They can't afford to. The FCC gets very difficult with people and organizations that jam cellular phones, imposing fines of tens of thousands of dollars. They even fined Ramada for jamming the use of personal WiFi hotspots. What's much more likely is that T-Mobile, following their typical highly conservative engineering philosophy, has aimed their antennas so as to produce the absolute minimum overlap between cells*. Sometimes they overdo it and leave gaps, instead. This may be an issue that's as easy to fix as directing the aiming servos in nearby cell towers to tilt the antennas a couple of degrees higher. OTOH, it might also require scheduling a tech to climb the tower to do it manually, or it may be more complicated than that.

*Excessive cell overlap causes cochannel interference, which looks like noise and reduces throughput.