Branched from an earlier discussion.

EIP for free accessories

tyamaha422

I went to get an iPhone X and the sales rep told me they have a promotion now for iPhone X and I would get 4 accessories for free.  I did not even get to choose the items.  He just picked up 4 items.  He told me that these items will show up on the bill but don't worry about it.  When I got home and checked the "free" accessories, I learned that their cost total to $580.  So, I became suspicious (too good to be true) and contacted the T-Mobile customer service rep (CSR).  I asked him if there actually is such a promotion and he said no.  I explained what happened to me and he called the store to find out what's going on.  Then the sales rep from the store told CSR that these accessories are not for free.  The sales rep told me they're free, but he told the CSR it's not free.  Complete liar!  I researched about this online and found out this had been going on for years.  There is even an article with former sales rep and store manager confessing about what they were doing..., accessories scam.  I can't believe this has been going for years and T-Mobile still manages to do this.  Lie to the customers the accessories are free and then charge the full retail price without letting the customers know until it's too late (when they receive the bill).  I really lost the trust with T-Mobile and I'm going to switch all of my 4 lines to else where.  I shared my experience with my friends and family and they're all switching also.  I really like T-Mobile's plan, performance, and price, and I am sad to leave these good things, but I can't support this type of business.

*branched to new thread for visibility - Marissa

All replies

• nelfar212

Re: EIP for free accessories

In T-mobile's defense, we as customers have to take some ownership when purchasing new equipment, and or accesories, it's always a good idea to review the paperwork, I get it, sometimes we want to take reps word for it, and we're excited to get that nice new phone an can't wait to play with it. I orderd the Note 8's in Oct durring the BOGO, and it was mess, It was fixed took a bit of time, good thing for me, I screen shotted my eip agreement becaue between the time my order was placed and in the am, one phone dropped off. I am very satified as to how the issue was fixed in the end, even though it took about 30 days. So what do you take away from my post "ALWAYS" check your paperwork even when purchased from a retail location.  

• magenta4087412

The same thing happened to me. I checked my paperwork or the lack of paperwork I did receive. All I got was a receipt of the money I paid for the taxes on two iPhones into the jump program. No other information was provided. Conveniently the sales rep must have forgotten to give that to us. Why? Cause then we would have seen the scam!

• nelfar212

I understand, this isn't the only area where folks have issues it happens with automobile purchases, subscription based services such as cable, satalite, internet only providers. for example Sprint is currenly running a 5 for $100 promo and folks are raving that Sprint CRS are telling them to disreguard the fine print that says the rates only last a year, pretty sure there is going to be some pissed off folks when they find out they were given incorrect information. back to TMO, anything purchased and placed on "EIP: has to be signed for, an a copy provied, every peice of equipment I currently have, there is an "EIP" with my signature on it and they can retreived from TMO.COM, I'm not saying TMO isn't at fault, what I'm saying we as consumers can empower ourselves by taking the time to read over documents to ensure not only we get what we paid for that promised promotions are correct as well.  Years ago,I had the jump! program, the terms weren't spelled out correctly to me, so I ate the cost of 12 months of jump for one line and due to the csr not explaining it properly, I dropped jump on every line, an at the time I had 5 lines.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tyamaha422

nelfar212 .  I should have mentioned this in my post.  For the signature, it was done on a tablet sized machine.  It was facing to the sales rep and he turn it around to me to sign on it.  He's the one who must have "forwarded" the pages to the last page to prevent me from seeing the items placed on "installment purchase".  I believe the last page explained the return policy.  I figured out what he did after I found out online all these information about what T-Mobile sales reps do.  But even if I saw those items listed on the installment purchase section, I don't know if I would say anything about those because he told me that they will show up on the bill but don't worry because they will be gone before I actually auto pay them.  It is well planned by them.  They know the loop whole of T-Mobile process and use that to "lie" to the customers.

• nelfar212

I understand, and I too almost became victim to deceptive tactics. But I've been with TMO for 11 years now, and know to "always" double check behind them. Yes, as consumers we shouldn't have to go behind representative's to ensure the info received is accurate my last debacle cost TMO a pretty penny to fix, behind one sales rep and a few CSR's. TMO has a mission statement "to provide us with affordable service, while providing excellent customer service". Generally 99.99999% they get it right or they make it right, even if it calls for extreme resolution to resolve a case demined on a number of factors such as longevity, payment history etc..... on a case by case basis   And I agree I wouldn't have ordered accessories from tmo, I asked my wife why she them knowing I get my stuff from amazon.  Back to my original point going fwd when making purchases review the paperwork, so if there are problems they can be fixed on the spot. 

• tyamaha422

"anything purchased and placed on "EIP: has to be signed for, an a copy provied, every peice of equipment I currently have, there is an "EIP" with my signature on it and they can retreived from TMO.COM,"

This helped me find something scary.  I did not sign EIP agreement.  They did not provide me a copy.  But I found the document on TMO.COM.  It did list every piece of equipment the sales rep gave me for "free".  I've never seen this document.  And at the bottom of the document, there is a fake signature that looks like mine.  I don't know if I should do anything about it.  I could just let it go and forget about it.  I'm already tired of T-Mobile.

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, tyamaha422 and magenta4087412nelfar212 is totally correct -- we should be doing a clear and thorough review of all costs for any installment plans before gaining a signature -- and to read that you weren't provided an understanding of the costs for these accessories, and worse, never signed these agreements; is super concerning.

Our Community is a public user forum, so we don't have the option to review user accounts from here, but these situations definitely warrant a look from a team with account access.  I know it sounds like you've both made an attempt to reach out to our Care team, but I'm sorry to read that we weren't able to offer a resolution through that avenue. If you're able to give it another shot, I'd highly recommend reaching out to T-Force -- they're our social media support team on Twitter and FB -- to see what options we have available in this situation.
                    You can contact T-Force through Facebook Message or DM on Twitter, and in those channels we have a tool that will allow us to securely verify your account and take a look! You could copy & paste your posts from this thread to cut down on the time it might take to explain the issue, and still get online support.
                    Either way, we appreciate the time you've taken to outline your experience here. The feedback is valuable; and we'll pass it on -- but we want to make sure you're getting individual assistance as well.