Calling from Taiwan -- which plan should I use?

nihonjin

I have iPhone SE with $40 simply prepaid plan.  I maybe moving to Taiwan (Taipei) and I'd like to keep my phone there.  I probably call about 60 minutes & 100 text a month to US.  I will be in Taiwan for about 5 years and occasionally travel other countries around Taiwan.  What plan will be best for me?

All replies

• tidbits

It will not work for roaming.  Majority of your usage must be done in the USA, and being away from the US for that long will terminate any plan.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

As tidbits says, they probably won't let you keep your phone roaming for 5 years. I'm not sure you'd really want to. It seems like an unnecessary expense. You can port out to Google Voice and continue to use the same number via the hangouts app. Get your phone unlocked and get a line with a Taiwanese carrier. If/when you come back to the US, port your line from Google Voice back to your mobile phone.

Enjoy the Taiwanese Night Markets.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • nihonjin

Thank you tidbits and drnewcomb2 for the reply.  Money is not a issue, I just want to keep this phone number for my friends in US and my son will be staying US alone attending college while my family will be in Taiwan.  So I'd like to have US phone number for contact (emergency contact for collage, friends, and son) and I will be back to the US at least once or twice a year so I'd like to use this phone when I'm here and I also like to use this phone once I'm back home in 5 years.  I will get Taiwanese carrier phone for local use but I really like to keep this phone if possible but I'm not sure its doable. 

Do you think T-mobile will let me use this phone in Taiwan for 5 years? And how much do you think it will cost to call 60 minutes, 100 texts a month from Taiwan?  I just want to get some idea to see if its worth it or not. 

Thank you both!

• tidbits

nihonjin wrote:

Thank you tidbits and drnewcomb2 for the reply. Money is not a issue, I just want to keep this phone number for my friends in US and my son will be staying US alone attending college while my family will be in Taiwan. So I'd like to have US phone number for contact (emergency contact for collage, friends, and son) and I will be back to the US at least once or twice a year so I'd like to use this phone when I'm here and I also like to use this phone once I'm back home in 5 years. I will get Taiwanese carrier phone for local use but I really like to keep this phone if possible but I'm not sure its doable.

Do you think T-mobile will let me use this phone in Taiwan for 5 years? And how much do you think it will cost to call 60 minutes, 100 texts a month from Taiwan? I just want to get some idea to see if its worth it or not.

Thank you both!

Its not about the money.  T-Mobile will not let any person roam for long periods of time.  Majority of usage must be done in the USA.  No US carrier for that matter.

• dragon1562

Tidbits and drnew seem to have taken care of you pretty well. I just wanted to affirm that the issue comes down to the amount of time you are spending in the foreign country. Porting your number out as Drnewcomb suggested is your best bet for preserving the phone number and still enabling you to use it albeit over a data connection of some type. Sorry if this was not the answer you wanted but I can't think of any other work arounds.

2 of 2 people found this helpful