Digits losing google contacts

secondgear

Every day I have to add my google contacts to Digits. I also noticed that when I do I get a warning that proceeding to t-mobile is deemed to be unsafe.

Why do I have to re-connect my google account every time I log in to Digits?

All replies

• debjitjdv

Re: Digits losing google contacts

secondgear

I believe you are using Chrome and trying to use DIGITS via its webapp.

Well, that's how DIGITS is built up. If you are using the web app, then the moment you log out, the cookies related to DIGITS connection with Google gets erased and hence you need to re-login. Now I have not seen this error message before. But usually it happens when a less secure app using OAuth1 authentication system tries to login to Google account which uses advanced OAuth2 authentication. I shall tag tmo_chris tmo_evan to shed more light on the authentication system.

To avoid the re-login issue, you can try to download the desktop version of the DIGITS app from the following link T-Mobile DIGITS - Downloads

Please keep me posted whether it resolves your concern.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • secondgear

Thank you! I didn't even know there was a desktop app. I installed it and get the same error/warning message. I'll try this for a few days to see how contacts behave!

• tidbits

I just go forward with it.  I know where the app comes from and what's it for.  

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Just checking in to see if you're still getting that error and if you're contacts came back. Please give us a reply and let us know. Thank you!

• tmo_marissa

Hey hey, secondgear! We wanted to see if you've noticed any improvement with the contacts since switching to the web app. How are things going for you?

• secondgear

I switched from the web app to the desktop version. This solved the contacts issue. I've not had to reconnect contacts since.

I do still have other things that are bothersome:

1. Logging on is always a two step process - 1) login, and 2) register. And unlike the web app, no user id / password caching happens. I should be able to say to automatically log me in when using the desktop app.
                        2. I've had messages not delivered with both the desktop and web app. I type a message and hit enter. The app says it's sent but it's never recieved. It just happened again today. I've gotten into the habit of asking people to acknowledge messages. This is infrequent and I always find out hours after the fact.
                        3. I sometimes send myself a message as a reminder. For some reason, that message will keep showing as a new message for days, sometime many times in the same day.

I'm really glad to have Digits but coming from Google Voice, there's a lot missing. I loved having the full history of my text messages available that I could search easily. Signing on was tied to being logged into google so I never had to sign on directly. And it never ever lost or dropped a message.

• secondgear

I lost contacts again. I've been using the native app on both my work laptop (windows) and my home machine (mbp). Today all my contacts are gone and I have to tr-link with my google account.

• secondgear

And again today. I'll not post every time it happens but I wanted to just say that using the desktop app doesn't seem to help at all. In fact, I prefer the web app because at least my user id / password are cached.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, secondgear!

I'm swinging by to check in one last time to see if you're still having issues with Google contacts. If so, please take a look at the questions that Marissa asked so we can get a better picture of why this is happening and what we need to do to fix it. 

• secondgear

Hi Amanda -

I still have issues with contacts. I posted twice more into the thread when

I lost them and said I wouldn't spam the thread by posting every time it

happened.

Digits is nice but really lacking when compared to other apps like WhatsApp

or Voice.

1. I really dislike having to log in twice every time I use it (login

and then "register").

2. contacts are lost often

3. history isn't there

4. I've had messages not delivered

I would pay money to use google voice. It was just so easy and it all "just

worked".

thank you,

gary

• secondgear

Using the web app, it's happened twice today

• tmo_mike_c

Oh man. Sorry this is still giving you trouble. Have you filed DIGITS ticket with are tech team yet? This may be something we'll sent over to our DIGITS folks to take a look at further and a ticket would be the way to go.

• secondgear

How do I file a ticket?

• tmo_lauren

You would just need to speak directly to a customer care representative who can access your account. You can find someone through any of the methods here Contact Us

• secondgear

Oh, I don't have time to call in and try to explain all of this to customer

support in the hopes that they'd file a ticket on my behalf. I'm a software

developer and was hoping to be able to simply file a ticket online

somewhere.

Frankly, There are so many small/medium issues I run into every day with

Digits. Yesterday the login screen hung and I could not log in using either

the desktop app o the web version. Today's problem is that "Registration"

is failing. I have "Registered" so many times and I'm not sure why I should

ever have to "Register" more than the very first time I used a system.

• tmo_lauren

Totally understandable!

You aren't required to call in by any means! You'll find several secure online options through the contact form I shared as well. This will need to be filed directly with a rep who has access to a secure platform (this forum isn't considered a secure platform) but you by no means have to call in!

I would suggest one of our T-Force reps, you can find them on FB and Twitter. There are links to reach them on the web page I shared, you can also find them directly in my signature. You are also welcome to link them directly to this thread to avoid doubling up on info provided!

-Lauren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                              • tmo_marissa

Hey, secondgear. Just wanted to check back in -- I saw this most recent reply about the login issues on 3/1, it does look like we had an outage that day but it should have been resolved in a matter of hours (not convenient to have happened at all, I know, but I'm sorry it sounds like you were locked out longer than that). I am still waiting to hear back from our DIGITS team about the contacts issues; so far they haven't been able to recreate the issue on their side. It may ultimately wind up that tickets are necessary so that they're able to gather all the information necessary to review -- but I'll let you know when I hear that word for sure. In the meantime. if you do file one, please let me know the ticket number and I'll pass it up. Thanks for hanging in there.

• tmo_marissa

Hey secondgear. I wanted to check back in here and let you know that tmo_mike_c is correct about the ticket, but also I wanted to mention that I've seen one new user ask about a connection issue and another user post on an old thread, so I am going to reach out to our DIGITS team and just make sure they're not trending an issue right now.
                                                          Just to be on the safe side, I wanted to double check and see if you're using any particular firewall program -- sometimes those can have impacts on DIGITS connectivity, so it seems worth the ask!

• tmo_marissa

Still waiting to hear back, but I wanted to make sure you know I didn't forget about this. Did you have a chance to reach out and get a ticket filed for the message delivery failure and repeat message display issue?

• tmo_marissa

First, I owe you an apology. I looked over a few older posts, and I wish I'd remembered this, but it looks like because DIGITS is session-based, the logging in/registering is expected if the tab or window is closed. I'm so sorry that I didn't recall this from previous DIGITS questions!
                                              That said, the messages that aren't delivering/your own message showing as new for a repeated period of time definitely aren't normal. I can reach out to our DIGITS team and see if we're hearing reports of system trouble, but I don't see any known issues at the moment, so this is likely going to be something that a ticket will need to be filed for with our DIGITS tech team over the phone. How frequently would you say this is happening? Does it ever happen from your primary device, or only from the web app or a browser window? Are there any patterns that you've noticed?