Unique Ongoing connection Issue.

victor1959

I have been having an ongoing connection problem that I cannot get a solid answer on.  First some background.  On 9/17, we bought two identical Galaxy S8 handsets at the T-Mobile Store. Our phone numbers were ported over from another carrier.  From the very beginning, one of the phones would loose connection to the T-mobile network and lock onto the AT&T network, even in locations where the other identical phone has a solid 5 bar connection to the T-mobile network. We have taken it back to the store multiple times, and they are able to get it to connect to the right network, but it only lasts a few days and then reconnects to the AT&T network. We have had the sim card replaced once, the phone replaced once, and have had multiple calls in to customer support, but no lasting results.  Last customer support call was sent to engineering which replied that there wasn't any issue.  When the phone is connected to the AT&T network, it looses all data, text messaging, and sometimes even call service.

The issue seems to be connected to the sim card, as when I swap out the sim cards between the phone that connects properly and the one that doesn't, the problem moves with the sim card.  Any suggestions?

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Unique Ongoing connection Issue.

Activate a new sim card.  Go into the T-Mobile store and ask them to redo a sim card.  It should be free due to troubleshooting.

Anything thing dial 611, and I keep forgetting the term, but they remake the line from scratch in a sense, and see if the problem goes away.

• victor1959

Well, I'm not sure what that means, but CS did something to the phone remotely, and had me power cycle it and when it came back up, it connected to the correct network, but only stayed connected to T-Mobile network for a couple of days.  Then it went back to AT&T network.

• dragon1562

Thats very, very strange. Have you tried checking the APN settings on the device. As well as turning off roaming if that is turned on?

• victor1959

I compared the APN settings between the phone that works and the one that doesn't and they are identical.  Both are using the default T-Mobile US LTE APN.  Data roaming has been turned off since the beginning of the problem. 

• tmo_mike_c

Have you also tried a manual network selection with the impacted phone to see if it holds on to the T-Mobile network? In the locations that you've tested, are these in areas that are really close (like within a few miles) or much further away? We appreciate you doing all this testing and keeping us updated. We really wanna help you get this fixed.

• victor1959

Hello Mike,

I'm sorry, for some reason, I stopped getting emails of the responses to my inquiry.

When we try to use the manual network selection option, it tries for a very long time to register on T-Mobile network and then either drops back to AT&T, or it does connect to T-Mobile, but gives us a no service error.

• tmo_chris

I am very sorry you are still having this issue. Replacing the phones this many times does not seem necessary as you stated in your first message that the issue follows the SIM card. I know you have also had the SIM Card replaced to no avail so I am really stumped as to why this would happen. Are there any areas where the problematic SIM card can connect to T-Mobile without issue or is this happening in all locations 100% of the time?

• victor1959

I agree that the multiple phone replacements didn't seem necessary, however, we were following the advice given at the store.  The next step according to them would be to upgrade the phone, which we likely aren't going to do as we are pretty much unwilling to continue to throw money at solving an issue that we shouldn't be having in the first place.

Generally speaking, once it switches over to the AT&T network, we can't get it back on our own. On advice of the store clerk, we have; powered it down and left it powered down for 1-2 hours, put it on airplane mode for 1-2 minutes then power cycled, removed & reinstalled the sim card and power cycled, reset the network connections and power cycled,  reset the apn settings to default and power cycled.

On rare occasions, turn off and turning it back on many times will get it to connect to the right network. Usually though, it takes a trip to the store where they fiddle with it to get it back on the right network.  I have also called customer support, where they sever the connection and have me power cycle it at which point the phone connects to the T-Mobile network on restart and functions correctly for a seemingly random amount of time. What is perplexing to me is that it seems to connect to the AT&T network even when the T-Mobile network is providing a stronger signal. The phone on the left functions correctly on T-Mobile and has 5 bars of signal, and the one on the right only has 4 bars on AT&T.

20180315_081013[2].jpg

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Just checking in to see if you still some help. Please let us know. Thank you!

• magenta3128589

Call Number Transfer Center for port in issues.

1-877-789-3106

They can fix it

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • tmo_chris

Just checking in here one last time. Please let us know if you still need help.

• victor1959

Hello Chris,

I'm sorry, for some reason, I stopped getting emails of the responses to my inquiry.

We are very much still having the problem. We are now on the third replacement phone which stayed connected to the T-mobile network for approximately 1 day, and has now connected to the AT&T network and will not reset to T-Mobile.  To illustrate, I have taken a picture of our phones side by side, the phone on the left works properly, the phone on the right is the one connecting to AT&T. As far as I can tell, all settings are identical between the phones.20180315_081013[1].jpg

• tmo_mike_c

I agree with Chris. Have you touched base with our T-Force team to have them take another shot at fixing this?

• victor1959

Thank you all for your input.

We tried several different troubleshooting methods and seem to have narrowed it down to an issue with the ported over phone number.  We went to the T-Mobile Store yesterday and got a fresh number an the phone seems to be operating correctly now.  Will have a better opinion in a couple of days, as previously, the phone would typically function correctly for 1-2 days after being reset at the store.