Oreo for the S8+

smokindog

Is there an update for the release of Oreo to the S8+ phones?  I've seen a couple cryptic posts but no discussion. This whole message board is rather user unfriendly.

*Discussion moved from Magenta Lounge to Android products - tmo_marissa

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Oreo for the S8+

When Samsung is finished with it, and testing is complete.

• smokindog

Now that's not very helpful.  Also it's reported that Samsung IS done with their testing as of almost 2 weeks ago.

Can someone share a plan?  Without a plan/schedule, something is only a request.

• tidbits

Was it a rep?  No rep will ever know how far finished they are and Samsung does not have an internal date of betas and such and if they are done that a low level rep can look at.  If it was reported outside it is speculation they are done.  They are probably going by the beta end date, but even at the end of beta there is still stuff needed to be worked on at the end of it before release if that's their last version.  So they are not done.

Software there is no schedule set in stone and they are soft dates and comes down to where a company is comfortable in releasing.  Those dates can only be given from Samsung development team.  I used to work with Samsung and I also used to work for Sony in software development. 

• stevetjr

Originally Samsung planned on being done a few weeks ago but even after that date I got an update to the Beta version, so they are still having some issues with it.

• smokindog

SteveTjr, thanks.  Here's one of many links to the end of the Beta.  It's also well reported that the Beta testers will get the final release in advance of the general population.

Why do people respond to things when they really have no information to add or specific knowledge on the topic?????  (Not you Steve).

https://www.androidcentral.com/oreo-beta-galaxy-s8-ends-public-build-coming-soon

• tidbits

I said the beta may have ended for Qualcomm based ones, but the Exynos finished last month on the 17th and still haven't seen Oreo.  So what makes you think AC knows more than anyone else?  As I said Beta may have ended, but that doesn't mean Samsung is finished and ready to deliver the updates as evident with the Exynos versions being done weeks ago.

Also it says expected soon...  Soon means between now and infinity.  Soon has no real relation to time by definition.

Anyone could say at the end of beta that an update is coming soon...  It will always be correct.

• smokindog

Here's another example article (one of many) discussing the final 1/26 Beta

https://9to5google.com/2018/01/26/android-oreo-galaxy-s8-release-soon/

• smokindog

Yes, I can read and that's why I asked if anyone had any furhter information.  It's obvious you don't.

• smokindog

Like I said, no help but bless your heart!

• tidbits

It does help.  You now know who is the only thing that can answer your question and if they don't give it to you then you will never get it.  So when the next update happens you know who to pressure to get that valuable information even online media outlets can't get.

• smokindog

Already knew that

• tidbits

smokindog wrote:

Already knew that

*thumbs up*  T-Mobile started testing it and based on AOSP/Sony projects reports if nothing goes wrong in this testing it should take a week and approved for Samsung to send it out when they want.  IF something went wrong Samsung will get it back and Samsung needs to fix it. Rinse and repeat until all sides are happy.  Generally during that testing it only takes a week.

• stevetjr

Well that last update may be the final build but they still labeled it as

beta, after I installed it I got the warning that this is beta software

still.

• tidbits

stevetjr wrote:

still.

Then that isn't the final build for Samsung.  S7 being evident when they delivered the final update it was never marked beta and went back to the public chain.

• tidbits

stevetjr wrote:

still.

Here we go https://goo.gl/XZkKub

It began rolling out and beta users will get the first updates putting it in line with public releases.  So what you had was probably the final beta software before public release still in beta.  Hopefully this means soon we'll have updates, but guessing by this and it being the Exynos version we will at best see updates starting next month for the Qualcomm variants.

Beta program participants will be among the first to receive the over-the-air update, Samsung says. If you’re in the beta, keep your eyes peeled for it.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey smokindog if you're looking for an exact date for release, unfortunately we don't have that right now. The best place to keep an eye on is our dedicated Software updates support page. Sorry I couldn't give you more specifics, but that's that status page is the most info we have now.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      • smokindog

Just about every app on my phone updated today.  I'm going to take that as a sign it's a prep for an imminent release of Oreo!

Also, it's the Software Update page that I first referenced as "cryptic with no discussion"

THANKS!

• tmo_mike_c

Ha! "Cryptic with no discussion" makes me think of some super secretive way of talking without saying anything? Like some kind of hidden language.

That page certainly not meant to be cryptic. Since the timelines for each stage of software development can change (for various reasons) we don't have more specific details as to exactly where it's at in each stage. It's more of a general idea status of where the software is in the process of being rolled out.

• smokindog

Pulled it this AM on both our S8+ phones.  Was hoping for 8.1 in all this delay but no.  So I'll leave the follow up, when do we get 8.1 which was released months ago?