Setting up "autopay"

miket

I do NOT want to give any creditor the ability to "raid" my bank account on their own.   (I do instruct my bank to pay certain accounts a fixed amount each month like my HMO bill.)   There are all kinds of horror stories out there where a creditor drains someones account.

Now have old SC plan where we just pay bill ourselves.  To save $30/mo. ($5 times 6 lines) on new TM One plan would have to set up "autopay".

Question is ---Can autopay be done via credit card payment?   In other words, could I simply give TM a credit card number to collect their money?

Also, could I simply pay in advance each month like I do now so that there is no balance do when the "autopay date" rolls around?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Setting up "autopay"

Yes you can use a credit card and you can pay before the auto pay date and that will reduce your balance to zero and then there would be no reason for auto-pay to draw. This is what I do and I have no issues.

• miket

Thanks.   We now pay about $155/mo incl. taxes/fees for 6 SC lines.  No one uses much over 1G of the 2G of fast data allowed.  Even "slow" data is fine for email.

6 lines on T-one plan would be $230 minus $30 for autopay minus $10 rebate (called "kickback" by TM) for each line staying under 2G data -$60 - brings total cost down to $140.   Don't think I'm missing anything.

• snn555

No, you aren't missing anything if you never use the phone for....... data, international, flights, shopping, paying bills, streaming movies or music, as a business tool, social media, photography, etc...or if you are chained to WiFi.

• miket

Since the "free" international roaming took effect, we have used the service in 14 international countries under our old SC plan - with no problem.  Have used Google maps for driving around countries like Romania and Ecuador.    The phone lines are primarily for business and thus aren't used for streaming movies or playing video games.   A couple of the users do a little FB which pushes their usage up to a little over 1G.   most of the data is simply receiving and sending short emails.  Some Google maps when driving.   Even a call to Lyft now and then.  Once a month flight info uses almost no data - mostly texts informing if flight is on time. 

As I recall, we have the option to buy a high-speed intl. data package if we want under SC.   Seems to me we still get a text message each time we land in a foreign country and notifying us that we can purchase an extra fast data package. I don't think fast data is available on the new plan unless you pay extra for the TM ONE Plus option.   

Why bother paying bills via phone?   MUCH FASTER and easier at the computer.