No LG devices listed in the Android 8.0 Update page.

intub8

    I was wondering why T-mobile does not have any LG devices listed in the Oreo update page. I certainly hope my V30 gets the update before the Galaxy J7 or S7 series phones.

     

     

     

    Discussion moved from Magenta Lounge to Android products - Marissa

      All replies

      • tidbits

        It all comes down to LG and how fast they work on the update.  It will get the update, but of course it's down to who does it faster

        1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • snn555

          Guaranteed the Samsung's will be updated first because they are already on the development page.  LG is pretty bad about updates and the G4 and G5 only got one OS update. The G6 and v30 will definitely get it at some point but all the others are guessing game.

          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • bigd2399

              I call BS on that. They already have 8.0 out for the other markets on the V30 and they just released it for the Unlocked version which is the same phone. This is a Tmobile issue, not LG

                • tidbits

                  Assumption. Just because they have the same name doesn't mean they are the same phone. LG released it in Korea and only in Korea. LG released a beta for the US market last I remember. Sounds like they are not exactly finished. Just like the AOSP project Google had with Sony. Different regions different government requirements.

                   

                  Carriers don't touch the code like people think they do. It's up to LG to incorporate code that carriers pay for. OEM could say no we won't charge for this and we'll use an open standard and if you don't support that it's on you. They don't because they love that upfront money before they even sell a device.

                   

                  T

                    • bigd2399

                      All US hardware is the same. The difference between Unlocked and carrier locked versions is IMEI range. If LG has a Beta out in the US then it is already in development for the region.

                        • tidbits

                          The hardware may be the same, but the software isn't. Verizon doesn't use the same security for their Network T-Mobile does. Also T-Mobile uses their own RCS and Verizon is still working on their own and you must use their own software to make it work(Verizon Messaging+). They may have the same name but they are different as I said. You use an unlocked one on any carrier and you'll lose some specific carrier features. GSMA is trying to change that, but they are far from finished in that regard.

                           

                          Like I also said the unlocked is in BETA and only out in Korea. That means saying LG already finished and it's already out in other regions isn't true.

                           

                          It's already known which devices will get an update and the carrier page to list them doesn't always update quick enough for those who F5 the pages on a daily basis. So just relax and have fun. LG is ultimately the people that can tell anyone anything about their product and update schedule better than anyone, but you are never going to get their development team to give any date.

                  • tmo_mike_c

                    Hey there!

                     

                    We don't have any word on if the V30 is getting 8.0 but you we suggest keeping an eye on that page as well as the Software updates: LG G4  for more info. We'll do our best to make sure we update those pages if anything does change.

                    • unegv

                      So basically nobody knows anything.LG isn't saying either. I guess when T-Mobile has the LG V30 +a , I guess they will have a LG device with Oreo. Until then, don't hold our breath or even count on the update unless T-Mobile lists it on here, even if other carriers already have the update?

                        • tidbits

                          unegv wrote:

                           

                          So basically nobody knows anything.LG isn't saying either. I guess when T-Mobile has the LG V30 +a , I guess they will have a LG device with Oreo. Until then, don't hold our breath or even count on the update unless T-Mobile lists it on here, even if other carriers already have the update?

                          Just because it's not on the list it doesn't mean it will not get the update.  That update page doesn't dictate what gets updated.  OEM's dictate it.  T-Mobile isn't always the first and isn't always the last.  It comes down to how fast, and well OEM development teams work on the update.  First or the quickest isn't always better either.  Just look at the Motorola Z2 Force and all the problems it introduced and what they still haven't fixed from before that update. 

                            • ittech

                              What you said is true but that means the carrier has input on the priority on the use of  their resources in the release of updates .Sadly although this phone is the only current premium phone to support  600 Mhz, T-Mobile doesn't really give this phone much emphasis. When I bought mine and when I sent others in to look at it the recommendation was always Samsung.

                               

                              I do think it will get Oreo someday but sadly I don't think this phone is a priority for T-Mobile.

                                • unegv

                                  Agreed

                                  • tidbits

                                    ittech wrote:

                                     

                                    What you said is true but that means the carrier has input on the priority on the use of their resources in the release of updates .Sadly although this phone is the only current premium phone to support 600 Mhz, T-Mobile doesn't really give this phone much emphasis. When I bought mine and when I sent others in to look at it the recommendation was always Samsung.

                                     

                                    I do think it will get Oreo someday but sadly I don't think this phone is a priority for T-Mobile.

                                    It shouldn't be their priority and it's not their job to bring updates to devices they don't make money off of.  They make money off services, and this was even admitted by OEMs they make all the money, and at times carriers LOSE money selling devices.  This was the case where the judges ruled in favor of consumers and how we got diminishing returns on ETF's instead of that old $200-350 flat charge to cancel even when there was like 30 days left kind of deal.

                                     

                                    Have you guys ever wonder why overseas gets better overall support?  It isn't because of carriers.  AOSP project between Google, and Sony showed there was only a delay of 2 weeks on average when things were submitted at the same time to go through.  So why so late?  It's because in general the rest of the world pays more than we do.  For example the Note 8 is $930 and in Europe they pay $1250 roughly.  The other difference even when they sign a contract, or have bloatware of there is a delay for anything they blame the OEM and not their respective carrier, and that puts pressure on them to support their products.

                                     

                                    Motorola when they were a contender they were not supporting their products and Europe and Asia stopped buying their products.  In the US people still bought them and blame carriers.  Motorola sold off all their international stuff to save money as they were not making any then sold itself to Google.  HTC is on the same boat and trying to change history by supporting their products, and they've updated mrore devices faster than most other OEM's even carrier branded ones.  So how is HTC able to do this but a Power House like Samsung, or LG can't.  Food for thought.

                              • unegv

                                Bwhahaha! Us LG V30 owners have been ignored like the redheafed step child! We have been ignored, I wouldn't hold your breath about getting Oreo anytime soon because T-Mobile just started updating the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Note 5. We are the Lowest priority it seems. How does it feel to be left out in the cold?

                                • unegv

                                  It's kind of funny when someone says carriers don't make money on phones when you paid almost $900 for the one you are typing on. When you remember that they no longer subsidize, that you have to actually pay for your phone, if not outright upfront, through payments. Then you think of I wanted an LG phone that wasn't going to get updated wouldn't I have bought a cheaper model? And be on a budget carrier like Cricket? I mean seriously, this whole blowing smoke scenario should stop! The carrier blames the manufacturer, the manufacturer blames the carrier, yet neither do anything to make the consumer happy by correcting the situation. All they do is have someone who isn't an "employee" but obviously compensated in some way, to make excuses for them and change the subject.

                                  Personally if I am waiting this long for an update, it better have Project Treble on it, that way I will no longer have to be having a conversation like this, I won't have to wait for the manufacturer to release the update and the carrier to add bloatware, I just simply update. Maybe in the future I might consider a Pixel device?  Oh yeah, they're exclusive to Verizon.

                                    • tidbits

                                      A lot of wrong with that comment but no matter.  Europe and Asia been doing it right for years.  We lag behind.

                                       

                                      You can buy the Pixel without going through Verizon it isn't exclusive all that much.

                                      https://store.google.com/product/pixel_2

                                      • tidbits

                                        unegv wrote:

                                         

                                        It's kind of funny when someone says carriers don't make money on phones when you paid almost $900 for the one you are typing on. When you remember that they no longer subsidize, that you have to actually pay for your phone, if not outright upfront, through payments. Then you think of I wanted an LG phone that wasn't going to get updated wouldn't I have bought a cheaper model? And be on a budget carrier like Cricket? I mean seriously, this whole blowing smoke scenario should stop! The carrier blames the manufacturer, the manufacturer blames the carrier, yet neither do anything to make the consumer happy by correcting the situation. All they do is have someone who isn't an "employee" but obviously compensated in some way, to make excuses for them and change the subject.

                                        Personally if I am waiting this long for an update, it better have Project Treble on it, that way I will no longer have to be having a conversation like this, I won't have to wait for the manufacturer to release the update and the carrier to add bloatware, I just simply update. Maybe in the future I might consider a Pixel device? Oh yeah, they're exclusive to Verizon.

                                        It's already been testified in court by carriers, and by OEMs with documentation in these courts.  So what it's not subsidized.  All that money goes to the OEM not the carrier.  Carriers also still subsidizes devices if you take EIP or Jump on demand.  That device still has to be paid for.  They also testified in courts people expect them to sell devices and that's the only reason why they do.  Carriers actually prefer not to sell them.  It's funny in the US manufacturers blame carriers, but overseas they own up and fix it.  Again differences are in Europe and Asia...  We blame carriers, and they blame OEMs.  They have bloatware, carrier involvement/testing, contracts, and they pay more per device than we do.  So how is HTC and Motorola able to update faster than LG, Samsung, and other oems if big bad carriers are delaying updates?  It's a lie carriers are delaying it if OEMs are able to push out major updates in less than 90 days.  Just saying...

                                         

                                        Treble isn't going to work like you think it's going to work.

                                          • unegv

                                            I guess that I should have phrased my comments more appropriately. I don't blame T-Mobile for the software not getting updates. I see now with everything else that I have read that LG is responsible. LG has lied many times on these subjects. I probably won't buy another LG handset. I know Project Treble isn't going to work like that. It would be easier to update software with it. What I hope for is that T-Mobile to start carrying Android One flagships. That might solve part of the software update issues.

                                              • tidbits

                                                LG lost my support since the G2, and our office is starting to catch on with all of the bootlooping devices we have. 

                                                 

                                                Android One devices are not going to come to the US they are intended to low budget markets like India,  If you want Timely updates then you have to buy Google devices, and even then Google isn't always forthcoming with updates but better off than their OEM partners.

                                          • djjstew

                                            Not sure why we would follow the G4?  I presume the correct link is:

                                             

                                            Software updates: LG V30/V30+

                                             

                                            As long as the security updates keep coming I'm fine waiting.  We should be used to that in the US.  As far as I'm concerned Tmo can skip 8.0 and do 8.1, which probably won't happen.  After all said and  done why would be so interested in a .0?

                                            • unegv

                                              Sounds like Nokia will never have a phone partnered with a US carrier? I know that the best issue right now is a Pixel device for updates, but like you said they haven't been forthcoming about updates, especially since they changed their update policy after partnering with Verizon. The also had bootloop issues with the Pixel XL and screen issues with the Pixel 2 XL

                                              • bigd2399

                                                Yeah, for a phone that supports T-Mobiles network better than any other phone you would think it would get updated quicker. Its not an LG thing, its a T_mobile thing. Guess John L likes getting beat by Verizon, ATT and Sprint of all companies. TMobile is a joke. Needed a Verizon work phone cause T-Mobile has zero service where I work.