I bought an Universal unlocked Iphone X from Best Buy paying the full retail price ( a 100 dollars more than Apple store price ). Activated it using a T-Mobile pay as you go sim card while in the US. However, on coming to India, when I tried using the phone with a local sim, it simply would not work. Contacted T-Mobile, Apple, Best Buy, Apple and T-Mobile ( yes in that order ) and was finally told that my request for unlocking of the phone has been accepted and the phone should be unlocked in 48 hrs. However at the end of 72 hrs, received the following message,
T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference: 13405765
Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:
1. Account must be Active. : Is Active
2. IMEI must show usage on the requested line. : Not showing as have never used the phone on this line, only activated using the T-Mobile sim
3. Must have $100.00 or more refill since first use date of device on requested line. : As above
* Initial Payment does not apply to the refill requirement.
4. No more than 2 unlock requests in the past 12 month. : None requested.
5. The $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requesting to be unlocked. : As point 2
Please submit a new request once the subscriber meets the above criteria.
T-Mobile USA, Inc.
My question is,
1) Why does T-Mobile have a lock on my phone, when I was using a pay as you go sim?
2) Why can T-Mobile not unlock my phone, if the cause of the locking, in the first place, is Apple Policy?
3) The device is not showing as registered on my T-Mobile account and neither is it showing up in T-Mobile servers. But the Apple representative showed me a screen which clearly showed that the device is locked on T-Mobile USA.
Have done some research on the net and gathered that the best bet in unlocking a phone is through the carrier, which in my case is T-Mobile.
Please help !!!!