Iphone X Unlocking issues

harrytoor

I bought an Universal unlocked Iphone X from Best Buy paying the full retail price ( a 100 dollars more than Apple store price ). Activated it using a T-Mobile pay as you go sim card while in the US. However, on coming to India, when I tried using the phone with a local sim, it simply would not work. Contacted T-Mobile, Apple, Best Buy, Apple and T-Mobile ( yes in that order ) and was finally told that my request for unlocking of the phone has been accepted and the phone should be unlocked in 48 hrs. However at the end of 72 hrs, received the following message,

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
    Sim Unlock Reference:  13405765
    IMEI:  XXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:

1. Account must be Active. : Is Active
    2. IMEI must show usage on the requested line. : Not showing as have never used the phone on this line, only activated using the T-Mobile sim
    3. Must have $100.00 or more refill since first use date of device on requested line. : As above
    * Initial Payment does not apply to the refill requirement.
    4. No more than 2 unlock requests in the past 12 month. : None requested.
    5. The $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requesting to be unlocked. : As point 2

Please submit a new request once the subscriber meets the above criteria.

Thank You,

Customer Service
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.

My question is,

1) Why does T-Mobile have a lock on my phone, when I was using a pay as you go sim?

2) Why can T-Mobile not unlock my phone, if the cause of the locking, in the first place, is Apple Policy?

3) The device is not showing as registered on my T-Mobile account and neither is it showing up in T-Mobile servers. But the Apple representative showed me a screen which clearly showed that the device is locked on T-Mobile USA.

Have done some research on the net and gathered that the best bet in unlocking a phone is through the carrier, which in my case is T-Mobile.

Please help !!!!

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Iphone X Unlocking issues

It's an Apple policy called reseller flex policy where the phone is locked to the first

sim card inserted.

This is not a Tmobile issue but an apple issue that should be taken up with Apple.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • harrytoor

Thanks for that, but I have spoken twice to Apple guys and even visited their store, have been told that T-Mobile has to request the unlock. Will try again breaking my head with the Apple guys, but not sure how much they will help. I was happy when T-Mobile support accepted my unlock request but totally disappointed when I got their last email.

To add to the above, the Apple guys did a Master reset on the phone, however was of no help in getting the phone off the T-Mobile lock.

• tmo_chris

Hey there! So we may be able to unlock this phone for you but the requirements of using it on the T-Mobile USA network and the refill amounts must be met. Once you meet these requirements, please contact us again and let the rep you speak with know to look at internal doc DOC-415139 step 4. This will let the rep know exactly what to do in this situation.

• harrytoor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not wish to use the phone over the T-Mobile network as I am no longer in the US.

I was using a pay as you go sim while I was in the US and now I am in India. I was not aware of Apple policy regarding the locking of the phone to the first network it is used over and hence I activated it using my pay as you go sim while I was in the US.

I was hoping T-Mobile would understand my situation and unlock my phone as the phone is in no way associated with T-Mobile.

Im right now, as it happened to Neo in Matrix Reloaded, in a limbo.

Will calling T-Mobile and requesting an unlock using the internal doc reference help ??

Please advise.

Thanks again.

• tmo_chris

Unfortunately not The other requirements must be met for us to be able to unlock the phone. The internal document I listed lets the rep know what to do if the phone is not showing up in the T-Mobile data base for unlocking.