Orange, CA coverage issues...

pippen333

Hello, recently switched from ATT to Tmobile...terrible network converage in Orange, CA, 92868...lots of dropped calls, 1meg download speeds...I do most of my work/calls around 92868...Using Iphone 7+ from ATT, unlocked...both my wife and I are having issues...also, my son, in the Navy, has problems in WA at the naval base...any ideas ???

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Orange, CA coverage issues...

Sorry to hear about the switch not going smoothly. First I want to answer why your sons coverage is less than stellar because its much easier. Since he lives on a military base there are a lot of rules and regulations in place for who(T-mobile) can install what(Cell tower/ equipment) and where(Often times less optimal locations) which results in poor service. The military often partners with one or two providers to offer coverage and such for the whole base. The company that wins this contract has a huge advantage especially when its a smaller player.

As for your trouble and woes I want to ask if the poor data rates all happening all the time or only during specific hours of the day? Are you inside or outdoors when this happens as well? When placing calls have you tried dropping down to 4g(HSPA+) or E(2g) to see if it yields better results? Does anyone else that you know have T-mobile and share in this experience?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

Not sure. When I look at the LTE coverage maps for Orange Co. on Sensorly, T-Mobile's coverage looks better than AT&T's. Pretty much the same situation looking at RootMetrics. Not sure if your son's at Everett or Bremerton but both carriers look good in either place.

• miket

Do Apple phones have all the TM freq.?   I know TM uses Band 12 in at least part of Orange Co.

• dragon1562

Apple currently has no phone that fully supports the T-mobile network. Specifically they are missing band 71(600mhz) and a few technologies like 4x4 MIMO, 256QAM, and etc. They do support the majority of the coverage though including band 12 so long as it is the 6s or newer. Hope that info helped.

• formercanuck

Band 71 doesn't yet exist in SoCal.  In general, coverage in most areas would be considered 'good', however, I have seen issues in areas that are having band 2 added.  I'll post a separate topic,.

• dragon1562

I'm aware band 71 does not exist yet in SoCal. However, it will be coming in the future; thus, i advise everyone who buys a new phone to wait for a device that supports this additional coverage as it will come in handy. Especially when its a $700+ device, like a iphone.

• formercanuck

I would tend to agree.  Here in SoCal, it will help to have 600MHz, but in general, there's a LOT of spectrum for use

- band 4 (20x20)

- band 2 (10x10) --> 15x15 once 2g/3g is gone

- band 12 (5x5)

Personally I might have thought about waiting for v30 over the g6, however it will be at least another year before 600MHz comes to SoCal.

If I needed a phone, I wouldn't be holding out for 600MHz unless I lives in Michigan/Wisonsin where its truly needed.

If I didn't need one today, I would wait, because who knows when Apple will deploy 600MHz, and there's a very limited amount of devices supporting band 71, and none are very appealing.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. The other community members here asked some pretty important questions. Please let us know if you still need assistance with this.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, pippen333! It looks like your thread brought out the coverage all-star team of our Community -- were we able to shed some light on the experiences you're having? If you're still having trouble, do you mind taking a peek at the questions that dragon1562 asked above? A few more details would be great!

snip.PNG

• pippen333

The problem with the data rates is that they are all over the board...sometimes 1mb down, sometimes 40mb down, sometimes no coverage...it seems very odd to me that the coverage was either great or total crap...I live and work within 1 mile of UCI medical center, 80% of my troubles have been around this area...several other people have now told me about T Mobile spotty coverage in this area...Unfortunately, after talking to my wife and son, we had to switch back to ATT...but, I really like the way T-Mobile treated me, so, I am trying to help...maybe in another year, when the 600 mhz network is deployed and available on iphones, I will try again...

• formercanuck

Its possible that with speeds 'all over the place', that you are having similar issues to me.

T-Mobile has a good deal of cell sites with band 4/12/2 and a handful that are still 4/12 or just 4.

Going into some of these areas, T-Mobile's network isn't smart enough to handoff to band 12 or 4 when needed and clings on to band 2 (or in at least one case band 12 where only band 4 is nearby) and speed/coverage shows up as _very_ weak.

In my area - College of the Canyons has a band 4 only outdoor site, but ~1/2 mile away on the other side of I-5, there's a site that's band 2/4/12.

Many times service will end up on band 12 or 2 in this area with signal outdoors of -115dBm to -120dBm and useless service.

I flip airplane mode, and I'm on band 4 with -67dBm and +100Mbps.

I've reported this to T-Mobile and they have said that this will take another 3 months to fix.