Branched from an earlier discussion.

4G LTE CellSpot at work with iPhone X

ashrocks

I have ordered a 4G LTE CellSpot Signal Booster for installing one at my work place. I mean thats what it says on the box. Never have I ever able to take advantage of it. At first, I was told I need to register it with my account, which I dont think it is true because I have used it in the past and it works for any Tmobile signal trying to use the cellspot. Anyways after registering my phone number to the cellspot device, there was no improvement in the signal. Although the cellspot shows a digit 7 or 8 (which is maximum strength), my iphone X cannot pick up from the booster. I had one rep giving a ridiculous explanation that my previous phone iphone 6 plus was not bought through Tmobile therefore the phone cannot catch the signal. I even took the suggestion of replacing the SIM card on my phone but to no avail. Also, the only reason I'm replying here because I couldn't find any other way to create a new topic. If anyone have had a similar experience, chime in.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: 4G LTE CellSpot at work with iPhone X

Hey, ashrocks! I branched your reply to its own thread in the hopes that it might be more easily seen by active users than as an additional comment on a closed thread. Can I clarify if you have a 4G LTE Cellspot or a 4G LTE Signal Booster?

• themyst

Been through two 4G LTE Personal Cellspots, both do not do anything.  Small office space, I see the number 5 on the receiver box, I'm beginning to think this is something to do with the iPhone X and 8 Plus (both on T-Mobile, both get no benefit from the cell booster, however an Android phone on T-Mobile in this space seems to get improvement).

Judging from the fact the Android device works on the cellspot, its something to do with newer iPhones and this device.  Can someone at T-Mobile get to the bottom of this?  The odds of two "defective" cellspots seems highly unlikely.

• dragon1562

If other devices receive a noticeable improvement from the cell spot then you may have a issue with the device. I want to ask before drawing this conclusion what troubleshooting steps have you gone through with the phone? For example, have you tried restarting the device when in the office building? Have you tried putting it into airplane mode and then taking it back out? Does anyone else have a iphone that you can test?

• themyst

Like I said, there are two different iPhones connecting to the CellSpot (iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X). On my personal device (the X) I've tried resetting network settings, restarting (cold booting the phone) restarting the CellSpot, I've even taken the SIM card out and reseated in my device with no change.  When I disable LTE and use 4G-only, there is an improvement in indoor connectivity, but that is the case with or without the CellSpot device.

The issue is the iPhones are not recognizing the CellSpot at all, and does not appear to be a handset issue considering two of the newest Apple handsets are exhibiting the same issue.

• themyst

I think I found my solution, I have an older 4G LTE Personal Cellspot that does not support all the bands, which may be why it's causing issues with newer iPhones.  I need to get the V2 version from T-Mobile and send this one back.

See below link.

T-Mobile quietly launches LTE CellSpot V2 and Signal Booster Duo

• dragon1562

This will only be the case if you are in area with Band 12.  The iPhone should be connecting to the strongest signal present but it is worth a shot. Let us know how it goes and if it solves the problem.

• mappryan

I know this is a bit old but was wondering if getting the newer version is what fixed your issue or if there was possibly another fix? I am having what seems to be very similar issues.

To start off I am located in the heart of downtown Tampa, Florida where the coverage should be great and using an iPhone 8 which was purchased from T-Mobile almost a year ago. Outside of my building it still does appear to be working fine but for about a month now I have noticed incredibly slow speeds inside my office (14th floor) and more specifically at my desk. I have filed numerous complaints only to be told the Engineers have checked and everything is fine at the towers. Beyond this I have tried many many troubleshooting steps of my device both recommended by T-Mobile and whatever research I can do myself. My phone works flawlessly at home so I have a very hard time believing it is device specific. After all of this, I was recommended by T-Mobile Customer Service to try the signal booster (4G LTE Signal Booster) which was provided by T-Mobile at no charge.

I receive the strongest signal on my phone in the break room which has lots of windows. Also, speed tests performed in the break room yield best results (approx. 10Mbps download & 18Mbps upload). So this is where I placed the Window Unit and it is picking up full bars (all 5 lit up as well as the 4G LTE light on). I have placed the Coverage Unit at my desk and it displays a 5 for coverage area. However, this seems to lead to little to no improvement on my phone. I am still only receiving 1 to 2 bars of LTE and when I run speedtest I receive approx. 1 Mbps download & 3.5 Mbps upload (almost unusable). I really do not want to leave T-Mobile and everything seemed to be working just fine up until about a month ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, rm

• dragon1562

I would try placing the signal booster in different places to improve service inside or connecting to wifi if your workplace provides it. The issue is probably a mix of little things that add up to hamper performance. One is the position that you are in regards to the tower, interference from the material of building/structures, and the time of day. Even if nothing changed within the building you work(which is doubtful) new obstructions can be present to interfere with service. I don't actually think it is worth swapping carriers since realistically speaking I doubt you need your phone at work for data-intensive things like streaming.

You could also ask co-workers who also have T-mobile to try service at your desk. Specifically, people that don't have an iPhone maybe someone with an S8/S9 would be a good candidate. Sorry if this was not the advise you were looking for. I just get weary of swapping carriers because it's usually a more intensive process than people believe. Especially if you're making phone payments to the carrier. Plus the iPhone 8+ has two variants and the variant you have has an Intel modem inside that can't utilize CDMA network technologies which means options like Sprint or Verizon are off the table as alternative carriers. Assuming you want full support, plus you may need to get the device carrier unlocked which requires another call to T-mobile(at least I believe when it comes to iPhone).