Phone is a Brick

magenta3952493

Performed the software upgrade that was sent to me this morning.  Phone was plugged in and I was on wi-fi.  Went through upgrade and phone restarted itself.  About 20 minutes later I went to use the phone - NOTHING.  Tried doing hard reboots.  NOTHING.  Called T-Mobile, they walked me through 2 hard reboots.  NOTHING.  Was told to go to Best Buy and have the "Samsung Experience."  The beautiful part is, the phone is just over a year old, meaning outside of warranty.  And, it's paid off.  Thanks for 1) being extremely unhelpful when calling for support and 2) basically requiring me to buy a new phone in a just over a year.

All replies

• landonloco

Re: Phone is a Brick

The carrier has nothing to do with the software the only ones that modify the software are the manufacturer and Google itself and it's rare that software updates brick your phone does the phone turn on at all or is it stuck on a bootloop

• snn555

Depending on the model of Samsung you have you may perhaps be able to do an update recovery through Samsung software and Odin. If you have any questions as to how that works you can find information on Samsung Community forms as well as XDA.

• landonloco

They only test it which it's something different they just test it to see if it works properly with the network and the apps this probably they just realese later on an update for their apps

• magenta3952493

So, here's the great news.  I paid the phone off early and cancelled the insurance - because in my past experience I never had issues and when I did insurance didn't cover it.  According to t-mobile, since it isn't insured, they can do nothing.  I'm not eligible for an upgrade because the phone is not trade-in eligible because it won't turn on.  They are not willing to do anything to help.  Their recommendation was to take it to Best Buy and see what the "Samsung Experience" folks have to say about it.