LG Aristo repeat notification feature

timcampbell

The stock messaging app in the LG Aristo has a repeat notification feature. It used to work flawlessly. I purchased one in the spring of 2017. The feature stopped working in the summer of early fall of 2017. I thought it was due to physical damage. I purchased another new one recently and the repeat notification feature did not work on the new device. I received a warranty exchange and the repeat notification feature did not work on that device. Tested on one other Aristo device in the household and again, repeat notifications didn't work.

Finally got a technical support person on the line at T-Mo (after multiple calls to Customer Service and offers of exchanges, but no knowledge of technical issues or offers to speak with technical staff, prior to me asking...and don't get me started about the warranty exchange fee!) and he tells me there is a known issue with Android devices receiving multiple notifications and that the feature was disabled. He couldn't tell me when or whether it was T-Mo or LG or which other devices the feature may be working on. This leaves me with more questions.

Was the tech support person confusing the feature, "Repeat notifications", with the issue of "duplicate notifications"?

I can find no detailed change log of the maintenance or security updates to know when this feature was disabled or confirm what I was told?

How can I find out what other devices sold by T-Mo either have this feature working or disabled?

If T-Mo sells a phone and disables features with no notifications or warning or fails to provide change log information, how can I trust anything I purchase from them?

The feature is important to me since the device doesn't have an LED notification light and doesn't turn the screen on when a new notification arrives.There is no other way to know you've missed a notification without either manually checking or using the camera flash as a substitute to the LED notifications. Third party apps are available on the Play store but this shouldn't be necessary for a feature the phone has but has possibly been disabled.

All replies

• snn555

Re: LG Aristo repeat notification feature

I'm not sure why that particular model seems to have an issue for you because my LG G4 G2 Stylo 3 plus and I'd imagine G5 all have no problems with repeating a notification every 2 or 5 minutes or number of times. However I have moved over to an app called Textra and I've had absolutely no issues with that app doing multiple things with more features than the stock app.

• timcampbell

I appreciate the reply, despite my rant. I am familiar with third party messaging apps. Try Yaata. Tons of features, no ads. I also have an app installed that makes my notifications repeat. I dont think this should be necessary. Plus I'm hoping maybe someone with technical knowledge from T-Mo will see the post and maybe address that side of it.

• snn555

This is a customer to customer Forum with Community moderators that might be able to point you in other directions however we generally like to refer issues that we cannot handle here to T force on Facebook and Twitter.

They are able to access your account and might perhaps find some feature that has been disabled that might be in conflict with what you have at hand.

However this sounds more like a phone software issue then a T-Mobile network issues and LG is also available on Twitter. They may perhaps know of a settings with that particular model that can be adjusted to make your notifications repeat.

• timcampbell

Again, I appreciate the response. I thought that I had seen T-Mo reps reply to others on this forum. My misunderstanding.

I had actually started my inquiries by calling LG. LG transferred me to T-Mo. When I explained this to the CSR, I was told it probably happened because I bought the device from T-Mo and T-Mo handles warranty issues on those devices they sell. I sent a second inquiry to LG.

It was a T-Mo tech support person that indicated the feature was disabled. I asked if he could clarify if it were T-Mo or LG that made the change. He replied it was probably T-Mo. The repeat notification options are still available in the phone settings. I would suspect if LG had disabled the option that they might have also eliminated the settings from the menu.

Thank you for the replies regardless.

• landonloco

Did you check if there is any updates on the stock messenging app on the LG update apps

• timcampbell

Yes, applied the update to the stock messaging app and also uninstalled the update. Tried both ways. Also tested on warranty exchange device that did not have all the current OS and security updates or any other apps installed that could potentially interfere. The feature on the device out of the box did not work. When I applied one of the older updates (Android applies them incrementally, the oldest has to be downloaded and installed before the next oldest and so on) the feature worked until I set the phone to vibrate. Then it stopped working completely, even when turning the ringer back on, rebooting and even resetting to factory data. Interestingly it does work when receiving MMS messages and SMS messages that are sent by T-Mo (such as payment reminders or confirmations of orders or feature changes).

• landonloco

it could be the Android OS or some kinda bug with the UI which Version of Android were you running on both phones still it's really weird that it doing that I have an LG stylo 3 plus and don't have any issues with the stock messenging app when I use it of course yeah Because I barely use it I use what's app like ten times more

• timcampbell

I took my inquiry to T-Force via twitter. Three different reps in one conversation. They were all wonderfully personable. Unfortunately no solutions.

In fact they could not confirm what the previous tech support person had told me. They suggested that if the feature were disabled, the feature settings in the menus would not be available.

I then had a conversation with LG, who had no documentation on the issue either.

I continued to troubleshoot and I have discovered that the feature works as it should when I turn off VoLTE.

At one point last year, this feature worked perfectly with VoLTE.

What gives?

I suspect this may be why MMS messages and service messages trigger the repeat notifications while regular SMS do not.

• tmo_lauren

Hmmm.

I am not sure I am going to wind up with much luck, but I can reach out to our LG content owner and see if they have any insight. We as T-Mobile don't have many options to disable things post release (manufacturers handle the lions share of updates, our input is primarily for things like the tmo app etc.) since we don't dev the updates, but we can try and see if this is an upcoming known issue or if there is any backdoor solution documented somewhere.

I'll do some digging and check back in!

-Lauren