Moto Z2 Force Update and SMS Issues

asm0126

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me.  I have a moto z2 force that was recently replaced (the battery started swelling and the screen was popping off, motorola was very quick to fix it which was great). My old z2 originally had the summit rcs turned off as I was experiencing the issue that many have also had with group messages and no notifications from third party sms apps (very annoying). My phone also had updated to Oreo a few weeks ago.  My issue with the new phone is that I do not want to mess with the summit if the oreo update may fix that... but I am not able to get the update, my phone keeps telling me that I am on the latest version (7.1.1) which I know is false.  Does anyone know when I can expect to get that update to oreo/ if there is any way to force the update to come sooner (I have tried restarting the phone many times).

Thaks for your help!

Alex

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Moto Z2 Force Update and SMS Issues

Hey, Alex!

Thanks for stopping by our Support Community to get answers on why your Moto Z2 Force hasn't received the latest software update on top of figure out why you're having issues with group SMS.

Software:

Oreo was released for this device about a little over a month ago. Does your device meet the requirements found here? Also, did you purchased this device directly from T-Mobile?

Messaging:

Do you currently have DIGITS installed on your device?

• asm0126

I believe I meet the minimum requirements. I have tried to initiate the update on wifi, on cellular, plugged in and fully charged. and there is plenty of space on the phone. I was sent this phone by motorola as a replacement for my one that had a battery that was expanding - it said it was the tmobile version and it came with all the native tmobile apps installed. I had purchased the device that was replaced from tmobile.com

I have digits installed but it has been mixed in what it gets and when. Sometimes it will sign out and start up again randomly.

Alex

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for getting back to me, asm0126!

I have to agree with, amarryat! That's why I asked if you were a part of DIGITS because there are a few known issues going with Oreo and DIGITS on the Z2 Force. As far as the Oreo update goes, it's likely just rolling out in batches but users are already waiting on a patch update to fix a few issues.

• amarryat

If you can avoid updating to Oreo, you're lucky.  Wait until Oreo is patched.

If you search on here, you'll find out about the Oreo VoLTE bug.  If you don't know anyone with a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, then it doesn't matter.  If you do, and you upgrade to Oreo, you won't be able to talk to them.

• tidbits

amarryat wrote:

If you can avoid updating to Oreo, you're lucky. Wait until Oreo is patched.

If you search on here, you'll find out about the Oreo VoLTE bug. If you don't know anyone with a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, then it doesn't matter. If you do, and you upgrade to Oreo, you won't be able to talk to them.

There is no bug like that.  I have no trouble talking to my daughter who has a S7E There is something else going on, and yes I am on Oreo.

There is something you have installed that is the problem.  People don't often think apps can cause problems for system apps, but in truth they can.

for example.

Some apps like Words With Friends 2 can break the Pixel 2's 'Now Playing' music recognition

• amarryat

For sure there is. Lenovo have recognized it as have TMobile and it's affecting lots of people. If you're not seeing it, then one of you isn't on an LTE call

• tidbits

I am on a VoLTE call and I always will be.  In hawaii you can't go anywhere without VoLTE unless you turn it off yourself.  If you want I will record a video when I get my Z2 from my office and show you if you wish.  It has less to do with the device, and the rep is taking ownership like the scripts often dictates. 

• amarryat

When I called support, they had a Galaxy S7 there. To troubleshoot, b they tried calling me but their S7 would drop our of LTE to make the call. So she couldn't test it.

• tidbits

I have no trouble so far from any person calling my Z2 Force.  I can take a video for you Monday.  Seems like something you have installed is causing problems.  I know we don't have the same things installed, and I know VoLTE is strong and well for a long while now in Hawaii unless you go to the smaller islands(pretty much all carriers have subpar networks(their own faults not carriers).

• amarryat

It's only with S7 type phones. And if either end isn't LTE, it works. If one is WiFi calling it works. It's a very specific set of circumstances. We have 2 Z2 Force phones and it's happening on both. Each got the Oreo update at different times, and each started the problem when it got the update. The phones were brand new at Christmas and one got factory reset, so there are no weird apps.

• tidbits

Both are on VoLTE, and we don't use WiFi calling.  There is no point here as the lowest anyone should get it 3-4 bars out of 4-5(phone dependent). That still leaves the S7 as having an app installed that could cause the problem.  It's always easier to blame an update or the device when there are other factors.  Just an FYI this final update is the same they ran through beta testing through the MDN.  No one ran into this problem in the MDN and every single one of them can't reproduce this.

I do not work for T-Mobile nor Motorola.  I just do various beta, and also talk with engineers(I am a developer).  I am one of the guys who found out about the RCS problem and have been working with Motorola engineers to figure out the problem, and how to fix it. 

• amarryat

The S7 Edge was also factory reset.  Network settings reset was also done before that.  This happened prior to the update that just happened the other day, and that update didn't fix it either.

Is your daughter on T-Mobile?

Just because you don't see the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Many other people are reporting the identical problem.  Maybe the software on the towers in Hawaii are different than it is here.  They use different vendors, so maybe it's something there.

This issue makes no sense, since the S7 can talk to everyone else who isn't on a Z2 Force/Oreo, and the Z2 Force's can talk to anyone else who isn't on an S7/S7 Edge (all within the T-Mobile network of course).

We're blaming the Z2 Force Oreo update simply because nothing changed on the S7 Edge.  And when one of the Z2 Forces had Oreo, the other didn't.  She could talk just fine to the one on Nougat, but couldn't not hear anything on the one with Oreo.  Then the Nougat one updated to Oreo as well, and it was lost too.

To be sure you aren't missing something, I'd suggest having your Z2 Force and her S7 side by side.  I'm also assuming they're both T-Mobile branded devices.  You are obviously a customer, and she needs to be as well.  Then have one phone call the other, and make sure neither drops from "4G LTE" to "4G".

• tidbits

Yes we are all on T-Mobile.  No matter how hard I try to reproduce the problem it never happens.  I have been logging everything so when it does happen I can forward them to Motorola Engineers.  They can't reproduce the problem either so far.

They are both T-Mobile branded, and bought from T-Mobile.

I have them both right next to me

both are not on WiFi calling

Both are on VoLTE when call is placed

To help out the engineers I suggest you turn on developers mode, turn on logging, and then make logcats and hope they'll see the problems through the logs.

• amarryat

And neither drops from LTE during the call?

If you look on the T-Mobile support forums (here), Reddit, Lenovo, etc., you'll see lots of people with this exact same issue.  Maybe it's a regional thing that depends on the software in the towers.  I can assure you, it's real.

What makes you think that Lenovo cannot reproduce this?  Plenty of T-Mobile employees have.  Just look at the people who have brought their phones to the store and had it reproduced in front of them.  Here it's not a matter of reproducing it - it happens every single time.  It is impossible for my wife to talk to either of the kids.  Unless of course she were to switch to 3G, and then she'd lose the band 12 coverage here.

Here's a good starting point:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Force/phone-audio-I-can-hear-them-they-can-t-hear-me/td-p/3928393

• tidbits

I stay on VoLTE throughout the call. 

Here's the problem with multiple forums.  You visit the forums, and I visit the forums.  You will post what happens to you and so will other people.  You will have repeat people so the problem is not that large, but appears large because of post counts.

How do you know the T-Mobile employees have reproduced the problem or just saying what they say to appease you?  These reps will not have all these devices in front of them let alone even know how to pull a logcat from devices for engineers for testing.

Like I suggested make a logcat for every time it happens and hand them to lenovo engineers.  At some point a employee on the Lenovo forums should have asked that they have their engineers contact you at some point.

• amarryat

I know simply because of people of have said they brought it to the store and reproduced it there.

Every time you see someone post something, there are hundreds of others who didn't.  Since Oreo is new to the Z2 force, some people haven't discovered the problem yet.  They may attribute it to a glitch.  Since it only happens between the Z2 Force with Oreo on T-Mobile VoLTE and the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge on T-Mobile with VoLTE, this further reduces the chances that people are going to be afflicted.  So the stars need to line up just right for this to happen, but for anyone who has these 2 kinds of phones on their plans, it affects them every time they want to call each other.  Who knows why it isn't happening in Hawaii, but it happens here where I live, as well as when you're out in the car, many miles away - so it's not like the tower near me is defective.