Galaxy Note 8 Unlocking Issue

magenta2943585

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 purchased direct from T-Mobile. When I open the Device Unlock app it says that my device is permanently unlocked; however when I remove my T-Mobile SIM and replace it with a foreign SIM I receive a message that the phone is network locked. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

All replies

• magenta2943585

Re: Galaxy Note 8 Unlocking Issue

I solved this issue after resetting the data / cache in the unlocking app. After rebooting I was able to open the app and I had the option to contact the T-Mobile server where I was able to successfully unlock the phone.

• magenta4107598

I have made approximately 10 calls to Customer support and technical support in the last 10 days.  I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 directly from Samsung.  T-Mobile has it on a network lock and has been unable to unlock it.  The frustrating thing is that every time I call support I know I am in for a 45 minute call, I know that I will get a different theory as to what the problem and solution are, and I know that it won't get fixed.  Here are some of the recent interactions:

1) I called and was told that the system for authenticating business customers was down, but that notes were taken and my problem would be resolved.

2) I called back a few days later and was told that my problem would be escalated. I then received an email that was in different colored text, like someone had cut and pasted it, and it basically said that my phone was ineligible to be unlocked.

3) I callerd back and got a technical support person on the line.  He asked if I had a receipt from Samsung. I said I did.  He asked me to email it to "Erich_Ramos@ttec.com".  I triple checked the email. He said it is an unusual spelling.  I sent the email.  It bounced.  I think TTEC is Tekelec, Tmobilie's outsourced customer support service.

4) I called back and eventually got someone who said I should send the email to erick_ramos@ttec.com.  I did, it bounced.

5) I called back and got someone in tech support who said that my IMEI was blacklisted and that it would be fixed within 5 days.

6) I called back 6 days later and got someone in tech support who said they would escalate my inquiry.  They put me on hold, picked up to ask questions, put me on hold again, asked more questions.  They then said that my problem would be resolved within a few days.

Not that I have wasted many hours on the phone, and not gotten any clear answers as to why my phone, purchased directly from Samsung, is locked down by T-Mobile, I can only conclude that T-Mobile doesn't know either.  But it is clearly a problem and I would warn anyone else who is thinking about bringing their own phone to T-Mobile to be very very careful - you might become a customer for life.

• tidbits

The problem is that Samsung when they sold you the phone didn't send anything to T-Mobile that it is a T-Mobile phone.  It's the same thing that happens to Apple devices sold from 3rd party in the Flex policy.  These two companies need to be more aware of these things, but they are not, and it makes T-Mobile or any carrier for that matter as the bad guy in this situation.

• magenta4107598

Not looking for a "bad guy."

How do I fix it?

• tidbits

Not much can be done until T-Mobile can verify from Samsung it's theirs.  Until then you have to wait.  Samsung will pass the buck to T-Mobile and all T-Mobile can do is see your receipt and take it to Samsung and ask if it is valid, and it's their device.  Once Samsung does that then they'll input the IMEI into their data base and get it unlocked.  Same thing happens with Apple devices.  So as long as Samsung doesn't verify it the longer you wait.  T-Mobile isn't going to unlock something they have no knowledge being theirs.

• magenta4107598

You seem to know a lot more about this than any of the 6 or 7 people I talked to at T-Mobile.  And if you are correct, it sounds like they would need my receipt - which they requested on one call, but never received.  And, while I appreciate your spirited defense of T-Mobile, your statement that "T-Mobile isn't going to unlock something they have no knowledge being theirs" makes about as much sense as if I was trying to take my car out of the parking garage and, after I paid, the cashier wouldn't open the gate because he had no way of knowing that the car was mine.  T-Mobile has a network lock on an unlocked phone that I bought from Samsung.  How does reconcile with "T-Mobile isn't going to unlock something they have no knowledge being theirs"?

• tidbits

It's a totally different department that handles these.  The best reps can do is send out a ticket, and that's it.  It's happening more than it ever has since Samsung and Apple take too long to send lists of IMEI's to carriers. 

All you can do is wait and see if Samsung verifies.  You can try and push Samsung to change their policies about selling devices.  I been saying this for years and I often get a lot of flack for it.  These policies is what kills it for me buying ffrom OEM.

• mojojojo22

I'm going through the same issue could you let me know how you got it resolved

• terencepinto

Do not waste your time calling customer support, they are not going to be able to help you.  Please reach out to TForce on Twitter with your imei and phone number..You phone number will be unlocked in 2 days..Speaking from my own experience ..cheers!!!