When will T-Mobile have coverage in Beckley, WV?

weatheronthe8s

When(if ever) will T-Mobile have coverage in Beckley, WV. I am just curious. I know they have been starting to expand into a West Virginia but my area basically surrounded with coverage but without it in town. I’ve also heard they have been getting agreements with US Cellular(which is what I have) for extended roaming but that is not here yet as they have not launched VOLTE and still only use CDMA for calls. They were on last year's prediction map earlier in the year but was removed later on and never got close to that map. I’m wondering if they will just use US Cellular(which by the way their coverage is not the best here and often falls back to EVDO or 1x if not using LTE roaming from Sprint despite being in the LTE coverage area) or if they will expand into my area and forget US Cellular(or maybe one of these days buy them or something). If they do ever get coverage I might consider it one day because from what I’ve heard they’re good where they work so if they are better than the others I might consider them.

All replies

• dragon1562

Generally speaking there is no way to make a definite answer on when a carrier will expand or improve area in X area. This is due to a variety of factors that I won't touch on unless you want explained. However, as a educated guess I would say sometime before the 3rd quarter is up you will see some form of coverage in WV since it has to be a priority for T-mobile. It will probably come for U.S. Cellular since it would be the fastest way to cover the state and then down the line a roll out for Band 71 would occur providing native coverage.

• drnewcomb2

A couple of years ago, T-Mobile entered into a reciprocal roaming agreement with US Cellular. T-Mobile made their LTE network available to USCC customers and USCC was supposed to upgrade their LTE network to support VoLTE roaming by T-Mobile customers. At last check, USCC has only implemented VoLTE on some of their Midwestern networks (e.g Iowa). This has left T-Mobile's customers out in the cold in many rural markets, including parts of West Virginia, like Beckley.  What should T-Mobile do: wait for USCC or go ahead and build out networks to cover these rural markets? In Beckley (Raleigh Co) T-Mobile has no 700 MHz and only a limited amount of mid-band (PCS & AWS). It looks like there are five TV stations that may need to be "repacked" before T-Mobile can make use of their new 600 MHz licenses. I seriously doubt that T-Mobile will put the effort into building new mid-band-only service to cover Beckley when 1) USCC roaming could come along any day and 2) they have their plate full with building 600 & 700 MHz networks in other areas.

• weatheronthe8s

Yeah, that sounds about right. I doubt they are exactly concerned about covering this area when really our coverage is different than what everyone says about other areas. Here AT&T has the best coverage. Verizon seems to absolutely suck for the price with no areas I can think of in WV they serve that AT&T doesn’t and is probably the worst not counting T-Mobile. Sprint is actually pretty good here and have done beat out Verizon in terms of coverage on the eastern half of the state since their affiliate Shentel bought nTelos and expanded the network, if they get more coverage in some of the western parts of the state they will probably have also overlayed Verizon. US Cellular actually only exists in the eastern half of the state which I think T-Mobile is wanting to build around to just allow for coverage anywhere there’s not US Cellular, they have kinda mediocre LTE coverage still only seeming to have CDMA in a lot of places despite their coverage maps, I don’t think it would be easy to improve either because they already have band 12 on most if not all towers at this point. I guess it shows for having 800 MHZ CDMA, band 12 is not going to cover all of it, they honestly probably need more towers if they want to fix that problem which I’m not sure if they have any interest in network expansions here. That would be a good question though because I do already get LTE roaming on Sprint in most places I don't get the native signal even though the phone doesnt show any signs of it unless you look at your band, install an app that tells you your carrier, or realize it once you hit that 400 MB roaming limit and get slowed down dramatically. If I were picking my provider, I would probably go for Sprint in my area.

• oldsoul1989

Believe it or not T-Mo actually expanded natively mainly on the Western half of the state and through the Greenbrier Valley on I-64 from White Sulphur Springs to Dawson with Band 12 and Band 4 and a tiny spot in Monroe County in Lindside. But still no native Coverage in the Western end of Greenbrier County on Rt. 60 West which is where I'll need coverage when I visit back there in the spring. I sort of believe they will natively expand. Even Sprint put up arrays on existing communication towers where no one else did back there. USCC there is bad. Slow speeds and very poor signal even if your next to one of their towers. Many has dumped them back there for AT&T and Sprint  Hopefully their coverage will continue to grow back there natively. I know their domestic data roaming cap bites.

• dragon1562

I hope they expand for your sake as well, as I also like when carriers use native coverage over a roaming partner.

• weatheronthe8s

Yeah, it would be nice but I will probably never end up with them, especially now that they’re trying to get their prices up with Verizon when their coverage is still pathetic in some places(although Sprint is still better than Verizon in a lot of places here though). I would probably rather have either Sprint or AT&T instead of being on a high cost network that I think should still be cheaper than Sprint. Just anything to get me off of old US Cellular. You’re right that they are slow, it’s not too slow but still not anywhere close to the other carriers speeds(best I’ve ever seen is 30 down, best in my area about 26, on Sprint while roaming on them I got 47 one time on a band 25 10 MHz tower, I can't seem to get my Sprint iPad to get it though because I think it is having a hard time using the 10 MHz tower where I was because I live right next to a 5 MHz one so I should get them sometime.) All I can say good about T-Mobile is that they have shown me the fastest LTE speeds I’ve ever seen at 50 down but I take coverage over speed. All I can say good about US Cellular is that they are the only 800 MHz CDMA provider in my area so they can reach a few areas a little better but they are weak in others like where I’m typing this due to their overreliance on that low frequency to get them that little extra coverage leaving a weak signal in many places, another bad thing is that it also made their LTE network not the best with range because the locations of their towers were based around their CDMA so their reluctance to built more towers has left their LTE coverage very poor in many places resulting in secret roaming on Sprint. The LTE is fine in town but spotty when you’re not. This has left their network not even really ready for that T-Mobile roaming because if they deploy VOLTE now with their high ping times(usually close to 100 MS) and spotty LTE service outside of town, that can maybe cause them to lose what few customers they still have unless they build out a better LTE network before deploying it.

• oldsoul1989

Just went through Southern WV yesterday and day before and they do have Bands 4 & 12 live on I-64 from White Sulphur to Dawson at the Greenbrier/Summers County line. A dead zone at the WV/VA border and a dead spot between White Sulphur (Hart's Run area) to Caldwell (over the bridge) But no coverage past Dawson including Beckley until you get near the toll booth in Ghent. Still couldn't connect to USCC and AT&T Roaming is the worse. Does fine past that.

• weatheronthe8s

Yeah. I have seen that they are expanding some. But there is still none where I live. I wonder if they plan to expand some more or if they'e just going to try and get USCC to get their roaming up because I think they might be scared to deploy VOLTE in my area. So I have USCC and their LTE is kinda in and out out of town and not very fast. They have 10 MHz of band 12, 5 MHz of band 5, and 5 MHz of band 2 but still can't quite hit 30 MBPS unless I go to Fayetteville. I was there yesterday and got 31 MBPS at the New River George Bridge visitor center with I think band 12 10 MHz no CA. Then I can go half a mile down the road and get like 47 MBPS on Sprint band 25 10 MHz. I would be delighted to switch to Sprint right now. They actually have a good network here. That may also be some reason for their not expanding because Sprint is good so they probably wouldn't very many customers unless they made their network cover every town except Green Bank or something like that. Or be like the other AT&T with the most amount of total coverage.