January 2018 Security Update for Galaxy S6

67gtv

Four days ago my Galaxy S6 started prompting to install what I assume is the January 2018 Security Update. G920TTMB6FRA3 / G920TUVS6FRA3

Once again, the latest update information IS NOT listed yet on the Software Updates page. TMO, can you please list information on updates BEFORE my phone starts downloading them?! 

TMO should list exactly what changes in their updates, no matter how insignificant.  Like how my calculator icon changed from green to blue after last July's update.

Screenshot_20180125-080557[2].jpgSoftware updates: Samsung Galaxy S 6

All replies

• tidbits

Re: January 2018 Security Update for Galaxy S6

The updates come from OEM's.  Unlike popular belief carriers don't touch the code like people think they do.  Often carriers just take what was told to them and put down what it is.  Some types of updates can come out quicker than what carriers can post.

• snn555

I agree.

Pages should update faster.

I have a phone 3 versions ahead of it's support page.

• 67gtv

I'm not drinking the Magenta Kool-Aid.  T-Mobile plays a part in the release (and delay) of security updates.  The Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ page has been updated with information on the January 2018 security update.

Jan2018SU.jpg

Both AT&T and Verizon have released the January 2018 security update for Galaxy S6 phones, AND published the information.

How Carriers and Manufacturers Make Your Android Phone’s Software Worse (12/31/2017)

"Still, when it comes to system updates, not only do the manufacturers have to build custom versions of Android for each handset they produce, but the carriers also have to approve said update—this can mean long waits for simple updates, or updates never coming in the first place. It’s the grim reality of system updates on Android, and it’s something that hasn’t changed as dramatically as many have hoped it would over the last half-decade.

This results in many flagship phones only receiving a few updates, lower end phones never receiving updates, and delays while updates make their way to even high-end, recent phones. As a bonus for carriers and manufacturers, this causes a phone to feel outdated before its time, encouraging a carrier’s customers to upgrade to an expensive new smartphone and lock themselves into a new contract. It’s a sick, sad circle."

Feds Want To Know Why Android Updates Are So Slow (5/10/2016)

"Wireless carriers have also come under fire for waiting to issue Android updates to devices that use their services."

• tidbits

It's not about the "coolaid".  Based on what you said "MO should list exactly what changes in their updates, no matter how insignificant.  Like how my calculator icon changed from green to blue after last July's update."

Even the other OEMS, and carriers didn't do that specific line you stated.

The articles you listed have all been debunked already to be they are making like they are doing something, but are not.  It's already been stated even from OEMs, court cases, and Google/Sony AOSP project their speculations are under false information to begin with.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for the call-out 67gtv . I'm running this by some of our internal folks to see if this is something we'll be updating on our site. As previously mentioned, this is something that comes from the manufacturer, but I get your point making sure our content has the latest info. I'll reply back here with what I find out.