Unsolicited calls

magenta1589264

I recently received a call from an instate number. She said, "This is a long distance call. Can you hear me?". Without thinking, I said "yes" then hung up. I have blocked the number but am concerned about a scam. Should I be and if so, what do I need to do? The incoming call was from 1 509 317 6583

All replies

• snn555

Re: Unsolicited calls

Monitor your credit report and scores and watch your credit card and bank account to make sure there are no withdrawals check your mail for unsolicited mail that may arrive with offers.

Basically look for anything that is a charge for something you did not order. Unfortunately there's not much to be done because you don't really know who it was or what they were trying to get from you.

You might also look into scan ID or scam block on T-Mobile which is free. You can find it in my TMobile after logging in and going into managed services on your line.

That was a spoof to call. It uses fake local numbers or at least displays the number as a local number. You can also use third-party apps like HIYA.  It is available for IOS and Android and is free. It can block calls and identify calls.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta1589264 -- welcome, and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to read about the call you received -- that would make me nervous, too! Have you been able to monitor your accounts and make sure that there's no suspicious activity? I also wanted to point you to this page in case you would like to activate some call protection features going forward: Get automatic scam protection on your phone | T-Mobile!

• tidbits

magenta1589264 wrote:

I recently received a call from an instate number. She said, "This is a long distance call. Can you hear me?". Without thinking, I said "yes" then hung up. I have blocked the number but am concerned about a scam. Should I be and if so, what do I need to do? The incoming call was from 1 509 317 6583

If you get another one of these calls say No.  Also keep an eye on your bill.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/03/calls-asking-can-you-hear-me-now