T-Mobile won't unlock my iPhone 6s

magenta3896787

I have attempted 7 times to get my iphone 6s unlocked, which has been paid off and have been with Tmobile for few years in good standing. Everytime I call they tell me they have to send it to the back office to unlock and should wait 24 hours for the email. I constantly get emails back saying either the phone hasn't been paid off (paid of 12/15) or that I have pending charges. NOw for the last two attempts  I haven't even gotten an email. I have spoken to supervisors to no avail. It is really frustrating. How do I go about this? Also why is Tmobile giving me a hard time. All the reps I have spoken to 7 different people stated that I am eligible for unlock, but I still don't understand all this frustration.

All replies

• gramps28

Re: T-Mobile won't unlock my iPhone 6s

Contact Tmobile through facebook or twitter and ask Tforce to escalate your unlock.

• 470kim3215

T-Mobile I’m highly dissatified with the service I’ve received. I’ve had the exact same issue with unlock my IPHONE 6 128G. I was told on Jan 2 by a representive that I need services for at least a week in order to successfully unlock his phone. I did exactly what she said and she stated to follow up with me at 9 am on Jan 9th , 2018. ONE WEEK LATER. I called in about 11:00 am on Jan 9th and spoke to a reprensative who stated that she will be following up with me and that he will send in the request. AFTER 4 trys nothing would get my phone unlock. When people purchase the phone this needs to be explained verbatiam when purchasing. All phone need services before unlock.  I’m highly disgusted because I’ve paid to turn on service for a phone that I wasn’t going to use. The representative lied to me and told me it would work in a week. I need to know if you can Investaigte this and listen to all my phone calls. I’m at a point that if my account doesn’t not get credited back to the normal charges without his 3 line. Then I’m seeking legal assistance. I feel extremely ROBBED AND LIED TO BY SEVERAL DIFFERENT REPRESENTIVE.

• snn555

I can kind of identify with your situation as I've been waiting for 2 days to get an email stating that my unlock request has even gone through. And when I check with social media T Force they say that the system is updating and they cannot access that information right now.

Most everything I've read has stated that the unlock process normally happens either in a couple hours or a few hours with it taking up to 48 hours but if you're already past that point and the systems are still updating you kind of wonder what's going on.

• tmo_marissa

Yikes -- I missed this thread until now! snn555 what's the status of your unlock situation? It looks like T-Force was able to resolve this with an escalation for the OP, but I didn't want to close the thread out without checking on you! Are you waiting for a replacement?

• snn555

Well the reseller site I sold it on said it was unlocked TMobile told me that it most likely was unlocked that it was unlocked and that they weren't sure if it was unlocked and iTunes told me it was unlocked. I did not have another carrier Sim with which to test because Boo on me I got all of my friends and family on T-Mobile. Hopefully it's unlocked it's sold and already been shipped. However I have screenshots from where T-Mobile said it was unlocked and reseller site will not sell a locked phone and I have screenshots from iTunes and Apple so that's going to be my proof going forward.

To say that this was a goat rope is an understatement.

However on a side note I was having a G4 replaced under warranty but there are none available so I got a G5 and while I was at the store to get the G5 they told me I had an iPhone waiting for me which created more confusion which will create more confusion because I have to go back to the same store to take this G5 back because it doesn't work either and the iPhone has yet to be sent back and won't be sent back before I go back to the store for this exchange so more confusion will ensue.

Not to mention that my G5 G4 exchange package did not have my name on it unless my name was "unknown number".  They just got the package with UPS yesterday and we're about to send it back yesterday if I had not shown up yesterday it wouldn't be there anymore.

But I suppose my iPhone situation is cleared up at this point unless the buyer finds issue.

• tmo_marissa

Holy. Moly.
                        I hope that there's no issue with the iPhone when the buyer tries to use it, and I *really* hope that the next replacement G5 works. I just replaced my G6 a few weeks ago, but I definitely didn't have to deal with this sort of situation (another replacement waiting for me) -- I would gladly switch places and take the trouble off of your hands if I could.

What makes you say that the iPhone hasn't been sent back yet -- are you referring to this extra iPhone, or the original one you were planning to return as the other end of the exchange process?

• snn555

The iPhone I'm referring to is the one that TMobile decided to send to the store for me to pick up and exchange for the iPhone that I sold that would not unlock. They stated that it was a software error in that it could not be unlocked however I tried again and it did but they had already ordered the phone even though I told them not to. So it got to the store several days ago it is not slated to be sent back until February 10th.  The trouble now is that the G5 has not shown up on the T-Mobile network yet according to the database and until it does I can't even get it replaced. So I have to use an old backup phone which is a couple years old at least.

• magenta3896787

I have contacted Tforce via fb but my phone is still not unlocked. I honestly don’t know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions. They said they are overriding the code and all but they can’t still tell me if my phone is unlocked.

• magenta3896787

So tforce today is telling me they will escalate and overriding didn’t do much help. I just dont know anymore.

• snn555

Since I started it has been almost 72 hours because turns out after the first 24 hours the first rep had not put the request through so the second rep did but that was 48 hours ago and I got the email within 5 minutes of them putting the request in.

Surprisingly a supervisor contacted me yesterday even though I had not requested one contact me however I'm not sure exactly how clued-in he was to the situation because he stumbled through his directive and approach. He also stated it could be immediately 24 36 48 hours up to 5 business days.

I'm not sure why this has to be such a hassle outside of the moving Parts between TMobile to customer and Apple needless to say I have buyers but I cannot sell until I know for sure it is unlocked.

• snn555

And this might be helpful for someone else but I think it also depends on what day of the week you requested the unlock because if you pay it off on a Saturday and it won't clear the bank until Monday or Tuesday you're probably not going to successfully get it unlocked until the payment clears.

T-Mobile won't tell you that I'm sure but it sounds plausible.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta3896787!

It has been a few days since T-Force escalated your SIM unlock request. Is your iPhone unlocked now or do you have any updates for us? 

• snn555

Just found out that my iPhone has a software error which prevents it from being unlocked.  T mobile is sending a replacement that is supposed to already be unlocked, but i have to request an unlock again, wait 48 hours and try again.  Silliness.

• tmo_mike_c

Getting unlock definitely should be frustrating and I'm sorry we've got you upset. Reaching out to our T-Force folks as suggested above is a good idea. Please let us know if the were able to help you get this taken care of.

• snn555

The iPhone might actually be unlocked if you use the iTunes method and keep the phone plugged into the PC as you erase it and then restore it from the button underneath the version number next to the check for updates button. Sometimes it takes a few days for T-Mobile to register an unlocked iPhone.

• magenta3990806

I have the same problem but with my iPhone X. I already fully paid it, and now am traveling aboard so I needed it to be unlocked. I talked to a few T-Mobile representatives, and they assured me that'd be done. And every time I received the emails declining to get my already-paid-for unlocked. TWICE I even got assurances (most recently, two days ago!) that I'd get a 30-day temporary unlock but all I got was that declining email again and again.

I don't know why T-Mobile makes it so difficult to unlock a paid-for device. Is it true that after fully paid the device is MINE? I heard that there's a FCC or government's requirement that the carriers have to unlock the paid-for device, is it true? I know that my friends a AT&T didn't have this problem at all. Or maybe because they are carriers and T-Mobile is the (un)carrier?