4G LTE always slow slow slow at night!

animositisomina616@gmail.com

I've been with t-mobile for 11 years, and at this point I am about to be with t-mobile no more! I know my phone is kinda old now but it was the newest model available when I bought it, and ever since I bought it I've had the same problem from day 1, slow 4G at night or evening time. I've called and called and called over and over and over about it and I always get some lame excuse, "network is busier at night" or "our towers are congested" or "our towers are being updated or expanded", theres times it takes almost 30 seconds just to load the google page. I left Verizon for issues like this, I understand that the network gets "overloaded" but by now why hasn't this problem been fixed? I quit paying for the 10 gigs of data every month and I wouldn't pay for data at all but it makes me. I don't want to leave T-mobile but I'm tired of paying for 4G and only getting 2G or 3G speeds at best. I'm planning on buying another phone but right now I'm not planning on it being through tmobile unless this is fixed real soon.

All replies

• stevetjr

What kind of phone? When you say 4G are you referring to what TMO and ATT called 4G but was really 3.5G or are you referring to 4G LTE?  If it's the regular 4G for one they are right during "prime time" hours even your cable internet will not be near as fast.  Second the 4G (HSPDA) network in a lot of case is being re-farmed and in some case the bandwidth dialed down and it's allocated to LTE.  Also you phone being older doesn't support all the frequencies TMO uses and their newest phones also support CA (Carrier Aggregation) which combines multiple channels into one really big virtual channel.

With that being said TMO just bough $8 billion more spectrum and they only have 2 phones right now that support it, the LG V30 and the S8 Active although it's expected that most devices (new models) going forward will support it so make sure or wait til like the S9 comes out and make sure whatever device it is has Band 71 to future proof yourself.

Here are speeds from a galaxy S8 in the outer and inner NW suburbs of ATL;

Screenshot_20170827-100354.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • animositisomina616@gmail.com

My network name on my screen always says 4G LTE, and my phone is a galaxy S6, like I said an old phone, but it's had the same slow internet issue since day one.My girlfriend has boost and when I use her hotspot every night it's pretty fast, her phone is also 4G LTE, and her network seems to be fast all the time, and her phone is a cheap $50 LG phone. I've tried several things to speed up the internet on my phone like clearing the memory, closing apps and uninstalling some, monitoring what apps use the most data and using restrictions and so on. I don't want to have to buy a new phone every single year to have decent network speeds, I thought 4G LTE was 4G LTE, if tmo is changing the internet spectrum to run smooth on only the "just released" phones then that pretty much sounds like a marketing scheme to doop people into buying a another phone every year, thats not worth it to me. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• stevetjr

If it's an S6 it has all the latest with the exception of the newest Band 71 and I doubt TMO spent $8 billion as a marketing dupe to get folks to buy newer phones. Now there are a few technologies like CA, 4x4 MIMO and QAM 256 that the S6 doesn't support which would probably make it faster but the problem is they can't update your phone to support it because the radio in the phone isn't capable and the tech was available when you bought it.  If you read most tech articles TMO probably has the most advanced network out there and open signal just rated them as the fastest. State of Mobile Networks: USA - OpenSignal

Now don't get me wrong as with any carrier you are going to find spots for each of them that are slower, non-existent, etc it just depends on where you are compared to where your carriers tower is.  Now if you see those slow speeds on LTE everywhere that's not a Band 12 only market then you probably have some other issue going on.

Just know TMO has no incentive to get you to buy new phones, not just TMO but all the carriers don't make money on the phones they never have, the only one that cleans house on phones are the manufacturers.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • snn555

Have you ever considered giving salt to an LTE cellspot to run off of your ISP for an LTE signal booster which does not require an ISP? They are free from T-Mobile with a $25 deposit on postpaid plans.

This would give you more or less a dedicated signal at least to your central location.

• tmo_mike_c

11 years is a really long time and it's heartbreaking to hear you're looking to leave. I'd like to see you get faster speeds too. Is this only happening at a specific location during the evening? The only reason I ask is because it's very possible that it could be congestion that the rep was talking about. It does sound like you may have filed a Service Complaint for that area which is the right thing to do. Sometimes our engineers do have an estimated time for fixing things like this, but in some cases, our in home coverage devices can help ease the pain of slow data until that time comes. I know you've gotten some really good info from our fellow members here already, but I wanted to hop in here and share some thoughts on how you can be helped.

• animositisomina616@gmail.com

I don't know if it's just in my area or what, I live on the west side of Indianapolis, and even right now it's being slow. Only real early in the morning is it fast. Web pages, news articles, images things like that take forever to load, alot of times it's says "network error", maybe someday it'll be faster but I've waited almost 2 1/2 years for it to get faster with my current phone, like I said before paying for 4G LTE speeds and only getting 2G/3G speeds 3/4 of the time doesn't seem worth it anymore, and having to pay more for equipment to possibly get what I'm already paying for definitely doesn't seem worth it. I started with tmo back in may of '07 with those nokia slider phones and since then have bought at least a dozen phones as they became more and more advanced, the sony ericsson equinox was one of my favorite phones, now I don't know what happened, I never had this problem before. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• tmo_mike_c

Based on what you're describing, I don't think this is a phone issue. Now, it could be that specific area in which case it we'd go back to getting a Service Complaint for that area. If our engineers do see an opportunity to make improvements, and can give us a time frame, we'd have an idea if when you can see a positive change. I understand you've already waited quite some time, but if it's just this area, filing a complaint is the best step to bring attention to the service there.

• dragon1562

I just wanna ask the obvious question and its have you tried asking others to test the network for you? Whats the service like when you have these slow speeds? Whats the speed when its "fast" or suffcient. To get the actual download speeds you can use a app called Okla Speedtest. As far as figuring out the actual quality of your service dial in this without the () marks (*#0011#) screen cap whatever it says so we can see. I want to try and help you as best as I can before you make the switch if you haven't already. Not a T-mobile mind you I just know that T-mobile is a great value when it works compared to the other guys.