Galaxy S6 Oreo Update

magenta1581247

Samsung Galaxy S 6: Manufacturer Development claims that "T-Mobile and the device manufacturer have agreed to support a new software update," but the device is not listed on the Software updates page. Has Oreo development for the Galaxy S6 been abandoned?

All replies

• kwas156

Re: Galaxy S6 Oreo Update

As of January 11, 2018, SamMobile.com reports that the S6 may or may not get the Oreo update. The author of the article is unclear on the absolute status of updating the S6, but it seems highly unlikely that the S6 will get updated.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta1581247!

You bring up a great point! I'm currently waiting on my Samsung guru to get back to me with regard to Oreo on the S6 and S6 Edge/+. It may take a few days but as soon as I hear back, I'll be sure to update this thread.

• magenta1581247

Thank you for your reply. When you said a few days, did you actually mean a few weeks?

• tmo_amanda

Thank you for the call out! Embarrassingly and honestly, I can admit that I completely forgot to get back to you. This is completely on me. The thread got buried but luckily you dug it up.

My Samsung contact informed me that the S6 and S6 Edge+ were originally included in the Oreo update but it was then pulled back which explains why we were seeing two different things on our update page and the S6 software page. As of right now, we don't have info on when or even if the S6 series will receive the update to Oreo. I also don't know why the update was removed. I wish I had more answers for you but this is all the info I was provided.

*Edited to add: Here's an updated link to the current devices undergoing software updates: Software updates .

• aodfan

If this is the case and the S6 gets the Oreo update, than one would assume that the Note 5 would get it as well, since the hardware is the same.