Issues with Galaxy S7

magenta3857795

Hello There!

Around October 2017, I purchased a brand new Galaxy S7.  About two weeks ago, it started overheating while it was charging.  After that, it would not retain a charge and the battery would rapidly deplete.  I contacted T-Mobile and they replaced it with a refurbished phone.  The refurbished phone did the exact same thing....overheated, the battery drained, it would continually try to update T-Mobile software, shut off and having performance issues.  T-Mobile issued me another refurbished phone which I picked up yesterday.  Again the replacement phone is not working, the same issues persisted.  This time the issues happened while I was at the T-Mobile store (for over 2 1/2 hours).  The staff at the store called Customer Care and tried to explain what was going on.  Customer Care suggested that I send the phone directly to Samsung since there were no know issues with the phone.  The young lady at the store then asked what was I supposed to do if I send it to Samsung....I wouldn't have a phone.  This morning I tried to call 611 about the issues with the phone, but it shut down several times while I was talking to Customer Care.  I called from a line land and spoke with another rep.  She suggested that I upgrade to another phone.  I asked what would happen to the balance of the Galaxy 7.  She told me that I would have to pay off the Galaxy plus the upgrade.  I about lost it by then.  I asked why would I pay for the phone...it is not working and none of the replacements so far are working.  So she is sending out ANOTHER refurbished phone to the store...It should be there by Thursday. I do not have a cell phone to use until then because it shuts off and restarts itself every 10 minutes (Which happened when I initially tried to talk with the first rep.  He actually called me back and the phone shut off on him twice). I understand there are certain procedures that must be followed but this is ridiculous.  This will be the third replacement phone.  T-Mobile is blaming Samsung and Samsung is saying it has to do with T-Mobile's software update.  I am stuck in the middle with a useless $500 phone.  This is the first time in the 19 years that I have been with this company that I am ready to switch to another wireless carrier.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Issues with Galaxy S7

Oh my goodness magenta3857795! I am so sorry you have had so many issues with the S7. I had the S7 for a brief period of time and I can let you know that this is definitely not a common issue. I know you said that you should have another replacement delivered to the store today. If you have not already picked it up, when you do, please do not restore any of your old information to the phone at first. It is possible that there is something corrupted in one of your old backups (perhaps an app or something) that is causing your phone to act up. If you done see any issues with the phone for the first 24 hours, you can slowly start restoring data to the phone. I would recommend only doing one app at a time and waiting a bit between to see if one of them starts messing with the phone. Also, if you are using a memory card, leave it out of the phone for the first 24 hours and then put it in and see if that causes the phone to start overheating and crashing.

• magenta3857795

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  I did not pick up my phone yet but when I do I will try out the recommendations that you suggested.

I will give you an update as soon as possible.

• tmo_chris

Sounds good! Please do let me know

• magenta3857795

Hello!

I did try the full factory reset...did not work. I picked up my third replacement on Thursday. The sales associate did not restore any of my personal information on the phone. Also, he did not put my memory card in the phone and issued me a new SIM card. Once again, the phone requested a software update. After the third time, the sales associate called Customer Care to explain the situation. After about 15 minutes, he got off the phone. He told me that I had two options: log on to Samsung Smart Switch to see if the problem could be rectified or call Samsung directly. After being in the store for more than two hours I left. When i got home I logged on to Samsung Smart Switch. Luckily for me I was able to do a live chat with a Samsung associate. The associated had me go into my settings, then to about device. From there I was asked what baseband version was listed. When I told the associate what version I was running the associate was able to determine that my phone needed to be updated three more times and it should be fine.  I am cautiously optimistic...the phone hasn't overheated, shut off, ask for an update and has been able to hold a charge. Fingers crossed!

• shelbyfan

The refurbished phones they give it are junk. I went through five before I gave up and just kept the last one even though the battery was bad.

Have you tried doing a full factory reset when you recovered the replacement. I do that automatically and have found that to keep down the issues.

• magenta3857795

Hello!

I did try the full factory reset...did not work. I picked up my third replacement on Thursday. The sales associate did not restore any of my personal information on the phone. Also, he did not put my memory card in the phone and issued me a new SIM card. Once again, the phone requested a software update. After the third time, the sales associate called Customer Care to explain the situation. After about 15 minutes, he got off the phone. He told me that I had two options: log on to Samsung Smart Switch to see if the problem could be rectified or call Samsung directly. After being in the store for more than two hours I left. When i got home I logged on to Samsung Smart Switch. Luckily for me I was able to do a live chat with a Samsung associate. The associated had me go into my settings, then to about device. From there I was asked what baseband version was listed. When I told the associate what version I was running the associate was able to determine that my phone needed to be updated three more times and it should be fine.  I am cautiously optimistic...the phone hasn't overheated, shut off, ask for an update and has been able to hold a charge. Fingers crossed!