Oreo 8.0 or 8.1 for Moto z5 Plus?

phildavidson2

I'm considering buying an unlocked Moto z5 Plus for use with my existing T-Mobile account. The z5 Plus comes with Android 7.0 Nougat. Lenovo has confirmed that they will provide Android Oreo 8.0 for the z5 Plus, "pending partner support" (see [OFFICIAL] Android 8(Oreo) Update CONFIRMED! - Lenovo Community). Will I get this update as a T-Mobile customer?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Oreo 8.0 or 8.1 for Moto z5 Plus?

That's the G5. Never heard of the Z5. Pending partner support means if the carrier is willing to. TMobile doesn't carry this phone and Moto releases to carriers to release to customers. Maybe the unlocked version gets it from Moto directly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tidbits

snn555 wrote:

That's the G5. Never heard of the Z5. Pending partner support means if the carrier is willing to. TMobile doesn't carry this phone and Moto releases to carriers to release to customers. Maybe the unlocked version gets it from Moto directly.

Pending partner support = parts manufacturers for example camera, NFC, CPU/GPU, and such.  T-Mobile doesn't sell the G5 and there is no branding so everything is done Motorola side and doesn't involve carriers.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Just chiming in to say that our fellow members here have some great replies. Since T-Mobile doesn't sell this phone, we don't have the info on if this one's gonna get that update. Sorry friend. Wish we had something more to give.

• landonloco

if it gets the update it depends of the manunfacturer since you brought a unlocked version you would probably get it soon since lenovo uses an stock android so these kind of phones tends to recive the update faster than other manufacturers

• phildavidson2

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I meant the Moto G5, not the z5. It makes sense that if T-Mobile is not involved in selling an unlocked phone, then they wouldn't be involved positively or negatively in providing an Android update; an update would come directly from Lenovo.