Domestic data issues

magenta3824965

Hi, I have not been able to get domestic data roaming working with Union Wireless (the roaming partner in my service area), and when I get back to native coverage in Silverthorne, Colorado, I have to reboot my phone to get a mobile data connection. The phone will connect in the native coverage area using UMTS (no data) even though 4G LTE is available. I have not exceeded any data quota, reset APNs to the default, and even did a factory restore on my device. Nothing seems to help. What could be wrong?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Domestic data issues

Which model of which device are you using?

• tmo_marissa

Yikes, magenta3824965! I don't see any outages listed in the Silverthorne area currently, and although there's always the possibility that something hasn't been reported yet that seems less likely since it's been a few days since your post. Were you able to test out a new SIM to see if that was the culprit? Has your LTE signal returned/improved at all over the weekend?

• magenta3824965

I called into support while the phone was in the same state this morning. Another reboot and refresh and it stays connected until I leave the service area, connect to a partner tower (Union Wireless, oddly no domestic data roaming, didn't hit the domestic data roaming cap) and then it connects as UMTS back in Silverthorne without data, even though the LTE signal is 4/5 bars in that location. You are the first to ask about changing sims. I have waited for someone to ask.

In short, it does not connect properly when coming from a dead zone into strong LTE coverage, does not connect with domestic data roaming on a partner tower that used to connect with data, and nobody sees anything wrong with any equipment.Screenshot_2018-01-16-14-41-21.png

If I wasn't on a Union tower right now, it would know it was on TMO, but the rest would be about the same. I live on the edge of two service areas.

I have another brand new sim to try.

Sorry for being a complicated issue. I had high hopes with the factory reset I did this morning, but no improvement.

• snn555

Sure thing and no problem. Try that other sins and let us know. If you are still experiencing the issue and it's mainly because you are in between two service areas one with a stronger roaming area service and one with a tweaker T-Mobile area. What is your ZIP code?

• magenta3824965

Thanks for the effort, but that is really not the problem. TMO reportedly no longer has a data roaming agreement with Union, so that part of the problem is solved. Cell and text were down but are back for now. It will take a couple of days to figure if a new sim would fix it not connecting right in native coverage. If it can't get fixed I am going back to Verizon.

• magenta3824965

Progress, of sorts. After a chat with Tech Support yesterday, (and calling every day since Saturday) I finally have a ticket and got escalated to engineering.  I also put the sim in a spare Nexus 6 that worked fine, picking up coverage from leaving the dead zone like it should. Makes me think my Stylo 3 Plus has a problem.

• magenta3824965

That was not so good. Tech support said there there was a coverage issue that got fixed the same day (Thursday) but I still had the same issue this whole time. The ticket is 18645214, and has been reopened, with a promise to call back this time (again). Not cool, TMO.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta3824965!

Thanks for the ticket number. I just checked it out and can see a few notes from our Engineers which may be helpful. They stated that where you're at in Silverthorne is approximately a mile away from the tower (which they noted was working as expected). Our Engineers wanted you to test the SIM in a different device to see how it functions. I can see you did that with a Nexus 6 and all was well. Do you know of any other T-Mobile users having the same issue as you? The last thing our Engineers wanted to test was if you saw a speed increase when standing outside of the building versus inside. They're trying to figure out if there is structural interference.

• magenta3824965

My wife has a Samsung J3 that is on T-Mobile, and does not have the same issues. I can't check if it is faster outside, because there is no internet connection, but I usually get between 2 and 4 bars in my office with big windows. I have been all over Silverthorne and Kremmling and the phone does not connect to data. The mobile data setting is always on and says "Connection allowed" but none is there. There is no data connection on the phone without rebooting or going in and out of airplane mode. This screencap is from this morning, again, the data connection is allowed but not connecting. If I had VoLTE enabled, the phone would not make calls or send texts at all.

Screenshot_2018-01-26-08-07-59.png

• tmo_amanda

magenta3824965, thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Based upon your last reply and what our Engineers said, I'd like you to get in touch with T-Force. They're our social media team that works with customers over Facebook and Twitter. The reason I'm recommending them is so you can link them to this conversation because they'll be able to attach the screenshots in this conversation to the ticket that'll need to be reopened with our Engineers. It'll also prevent you from having to repeat yourself and what troubleshooting steps you've already taken. I get that opening another ticket isn't ideal and if I could get this fixed for you without going that route, I'd gladly do so.