How do I activate a data (internet) SIM?  It keeps demanding my tmobile phone number and telephone ID number, which I don't have

cyberhund

How do I activate a data only (internet) SIM?  It keeps demanding my tmobile phone number and telephone ID number, which I don't have.  This is a prepaid data (internet) SIM, which I will use in a hotspot device.  Every time I try to find a way to activate this SIM online, it demands a phone number, which I don't have, because this is a data SIM.  I try to "message" support, and again, it demands a T-mobile phone number, which I don't have.  It really shouldn't be this difficult.  Thanks for any links/help.

All replies

• snn555

Try to contact T-Mobile by a Facebook or Twitter. I'm sure there is some way to validate your account and have them activate the Sim by the number on the card.

• 15yos

Essentially, you have to activate your data SIM like you would a phone SIM.

Do as @snn555 suggested or you can give T-Mobile a ring using a different phone and have your SIM card ready along with the device in question and you can do the activation over the phone.

Even though you can't make phone calls, data plans/accounts for T-Mobile (not sure about wearables) actually are attached to a 'phone number'.

I own a tablet which has its own data line and it also has its own phone number even though I can't call on it.  I can, however, text message on it and so it's like I have a non-telephone data-only mobile number.

When I use my tablet with the data SIM for a HotSpot, it will ping to T-Mobile to verify that my device + data SIM is eligible for HotSpot and it does this by verifying the data SIM's phone number which is linked to the account.

• cyberhund

Thanks. I got the card activated and working, but when I went to register it online, so I could add more data when needed, more easily than calling, it said it was sending a confirmation code to the phone number associated with the SIM card, by text. Only problem is, the SIM is in a hotspot device, not a phone or tablet,  so I cannot get texts. I don't have a tmobile phone so I can't put the SIM in the phone to get the text.  And I don't want to go to a tmobile store with the SIM, because they will punch out the nano sim to put in a phone to get the text, and I hate to do that, because the hotspot requires the full sized card, and once you start punching out the nano, you can try to put it back inside of the full sized SIM, but it never REALLY stays put after that, and you risk losing the nano sim when it falls out and is rattling around in the hotspot SIM slot. Sigh. So much trouble just so I can add data online instead of dialing, punching in the phone number, then typing in the pin number from a refill card, each time I need to add data.  I don't know why they have to make this such a difficult thing to set up.  But thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

• tmo_amanda

Hi, cyberhund and welcome to our Support Community!

Gosh, it sounds like all of this comes down to getting those activation texts which in your case isn't as easy as it sounds. A lot of suggestions have been provided from other users and from our Customer Care reps, however, the only other solution that I can think of is to visit a T-Mobile store and ask them to use a demo phone to receive the text. We've had multiple users utilize that method which solved their issue. Have you given that a shot yet or are you able to try that?