Band 66, is this still a "thing?"

snn555

Map of T-Mobile's AWS-3 spectrum

This map doesn't seem to have changed in a long time. T-Mobile talked about band 66 for a while, but nothing ever seemed to come of it. Now with band 71 all that's ever mentioned, is 66 forgotten?

Why all the hype over phones with support for 66 if it was just a temporary idea?

All replies

• landonloco

Re: Band 66, is this still a "thing?"

well band 66 is limited in aveilibility it mostly used on areas that doesnt have band 4 they use it also for congestion relief but that doesnt mean that they forgot about it just means that band 71 roll out is more important since its aveileable nationwide

1 of 2 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, snn555! We haven't a-band-oned () Band 66! It's still out there as an extension of Band 4 (1700/2100MHz). Since devices started to support 66 in late 2016, and now we do talk much more frequently about upcoming equipment that will be compatible with Band 71 (and TBH about switching to equipment compatible with Band 12), I can see why you'd ask the question.
          I think extended range LTE bands like 12 and 71 take precedence in talks both for the reason that landonloco mentioned -- nationwide availability -- and also because it stands to benefit a much greater number of customers in the long run, both because of the improved rural coverage and superior in-building coverage. This is just a guess, of course, but I do want you to know we don't have anything internally that says to go hush hush on Band 66.

• snn555

I get bands 2 and 4 but 12 is so slow it's really only good for IoT devices, which I figure is on T-Mobiles radar. 71 is the real rural improver....if or when it gets here.

So basically there's really no use in someone searching for a phone that has band 66 because more than likely it will be a phone in the near future that has 2 4 12 66 and 71. I for some reason thought a phone with band 66 was a selling

• snn555

With the big push to Band 12 expansion on V2 of the LTE cellspot and LTE boosters, seems 66 is losing traction in discussions. I get it's a band 4 off load. I get the range but slow speed of 12.